Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2016, 06:57 PM   #1

Water Filter

We have a FR SS 3170DS. Does the onboard water filter handle all sources of potential drinking water, i.e. city water and fresh water tank?

Since I don't have a filter installed, I picked up a Camco inline filter to be placed at the city water inlet. I have a regulator inline but it leaks at the filter connection like a sieve, even with teflon tape on the threads. Hose doesn't leak otherwise. Faulty or something else?
Would love to have a simple straight forward schematic of the water system, does anything like this exist for us users or is that a corporate secret too?

Thanks for any guidance, it's appreciated.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:26 PM   #2

Water from the fresh water tank and from the city water connection go through the onboard filter.

Discussions on this forum say Forest River does not give out plumbing or wiring schematics to individuals, even if they are FR product owners. Some had success getting schematics from their dealers.

I don't know the answer to your leak problem, but garden hose connections seal with gaskets at the face of the male part of the connection. That way the rotating female part of the connection doesn't have to seal at the base of the rotating part. Tape on the threads doesn't help. Is there a gasket at the leaky connection? It could be missing from your new filter canister.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:50 AM   #3

Gaskets are in place, I'll take a look again at the filter for irregularities.

I generally am very pleased with my MH, but the lack of information available is astonishing. This forum has been the only reliable source of information for many users.
Look at the questions that are being posted, someone should explain to all why this information is not available in a comprehensive user manual? What's the big secret on the location of water drains for example. Is there a prize for finding them via hunt and peck?
While my coach was in storage and prior to my current outing, I emailed FR at their web advertised email for support asking if they could provide me with a list of the bulbs that are used on my coach so that I could purchase some replacements to have on hand. I was advised that they could not supply me with bulb numbers as they did not have that information available. Simply amazing.

Well that's off my chest for now, appreciate the support of fellow RVers.

Tags
water, water filter