Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #1

Water Filter

We have a 2011 Sunseeker 2300. Wanting to take care of several service items at the same time (water heater anode, water filter, water system sanitize), I was thrown a curve when I saw the coach had a Waterpur CCI-1--CLW water filter housing and I needed a CCI-10-C filter and replacement O-ring.
This filter is nowhere to be found, except online from Waterpur.
My dealer, RV Solutions in San Diego, does not stock it.

Why wouldn't Forest River use a water filter that anyone could replace at Camping World or other rv supply? Why wouldn't they require dealers to stock the part?

Does anyone know a comparable replacement?
davegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You are right that you can only buy Pur filters for your canister directly from Pur. But any 10" should work and you can search for a number of discussions on what works best. I've bought from here but they're not much cheaper...

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/RCCarbonCartridge.htm

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #3

The Waterpur cci-10-c costs 29.95 plus shipping.
O-Rings cost $10 for three.

The link to the filter is:
Beware Imitations

So what other filter matches their specs?
Pur is NOT the same as Waterpur.
Forest River should publish a list of compatable filters and o-rings.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #4

Having reluctantly ordered the filter from WaterPur, I find the invoice is from FlowPur and they have their own filters which are less expensive and seem compatable. Anyone use these to replace a WaterPur CCI-10-C?
I'm really disgusted with Forest River for the time and agravation over their use of esoteric filters.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #5

I installed a DuPont 800 Series filter bought at Walmart. Universal 10 inch length, carbon, taste, all that happy shtuff. Don't have the receipt, but could not have been too much. You can reuse the O Ring unless it tears or breaks, just make sure it is lubricated when you put it back, you can use silicone valve stem grease found in your neighborhood Home Depot in the plumbing section. As a suggestion, take an empty Cool Whip container and slip it under the filter housing to catch what leaks out when you unscrew it. Keep a towel hand for spills.

Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:28 AM   #6
Wanna Be Camper

Rainfresh CF2 Carbon Filter fits perfect and cost less than 10 bux.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:42 AM   #7

You can get the O-ring from Home depot

when you look at the filter top and bottom - see how big the hole is - make sure the replacement filter has the same size hole - the smaller the hole the less water pressure you will have - thats if you get a filter from any where else other then an RV filter
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
2003 Sunseeker 3100SS

Check eBay! I got three for the price of two last winter!
Old 05-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegood View Post
I'm really disgusted with Forest River for the time and agravation over their use of esoteric filters.
No offense intended Dave, but there seem to be a few suggestions to buy off of Ebay and the likes for other options. You're disgusted with Forest River? Why? Does Cannon or Epson or HP post links to knock off versions of their ink? I'm not involved at all with the filtration system, but why would a filtration company make it easy for you to buy replacement filters from anyone but them? They're not going to pay to go out and test the others guys filters to make sure they're the same quality. They knows their's works so they offer those as replacements. I'm sure all the others are just fine...but it seems silly to be mad at a company for not pushing a competitor's product.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
No offense intended Dave, but there seem to be a few suggestions to buy off of Ebay and the likes for other options. You're disgusted with Forest River? Why? Does Cannon or Epson or HP post links to knock off versions of their ink? I'm not involved at all with the filtration system, but why would a filtration company make it easy for you to buy replacement filters from anyone but them? They're not going to pay to go out and test the others guys filters to make sure they're the same quality. They knows their's works so they offer those as replacements. I'm sure all the others are just fine...but it seems silly to be mad at a company for not pushing a competitor's product.
I may be mistaken, but Forest River is NOT a filtration company. As an RV manufacturer it should incorporate standard, easily replacable parts which are available at the major rv part stores like Camping World.
I was easily able to obtain the anode for my Surburban water heater and compare prices for it because you use a standard brand. Same with generator parts.
Why do you use an offbrand company for the water filter? Why not choose from the companies whose replacement filters are easily available at competitive prices from rv parts or home supply stores? You do not even provide information as to comparable replacement parts. Does Forest River in fact have a financial interest in Waterpur (or FlowPur as the invoice states)?
I can't even purchase the filter locally because you don't require your dealers to stock them.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #11
Commercial Member

I actually think Waterpur has some sort of ties to Forester River...or did at one time.

The website says...
"At an RV show, we met an executive from the fastest growing, innovative, top quality RV manufacturer in the country. He took a keen interest in our quality products" I'm guessing that exec could have been the president of the company.

"Why not choose from the companies whose replacement filters are easily available at competitive prices from rv parts or home supply stores?" Maybe because as the website states, those filters weren't as good.

Either way, if you find a filter that works for you, then great. But why be mad at Forest River because they are confident in a product that they feel works better than others? They're going to steer you to a genuine replacement not a potentially cheaper, less effective knock off.

Again, I doubt Ford puts every possible air filter for their cars in their manuals. They want you to buy Ford replacement parts. Are there cheaper versions made by Fram, etc that work? Of course...but it's Fram publishing the compatibility charts, not Ford. If anything be mad at the replacement filter companies for not listing their units as a direct replacement.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegood

I may be mistaken, but Forest River is NOT filtration company. As an RV manufacturer it should incorporate standard, easily replacable parts which are available at the major rv part stores like Camping World.
I sort of understand the frustration on the filter replacement but I also see the factory point. We bought a new home fridge, it's a Samsung. The instruction book references a Samsung filter for the water and ice. They only list one single option as a replacement, the Samsung filter. No substitutes. The kicker is they are $30.00. The manual indicates we should replace it twice a year.
With my home fridge I'm afraid I'm locked in as far as choices, the filter appears to have a unique connection, at least a 10" filters seem to be consistent in their sizing thus more universal.
Sportracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #13

You could always reassemble the filter housing minus the filter, or bypass the housing all together, and use any external filter system/filter you want. Then YOU would control its availability and price choices.
ittle dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #14

You mentioned a o ring replacement for the water pur filter CC1-10-C, today i sanitized my Forest River 5th Wheel water system. I removed the filter as instructed, I did not see a o ring except the one on the end of the filter. Now I can't stop the filter housing from leaking, can't seem to get the filter to line up right at the top. Any suggestions on this?

Thanks, Gene
Gee Whiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #15

Filter housing O ring

Gene,
You might want to take a mirror and look up at the bottom of the filter housing and make sure the old O ring is not rolled up and crumpled in the slot. If it is still there and you install a new one you'll still leak.
You can take your housing to Home Depot or Lowe's and hit the plumbing department and locate a suitable O ring. Get some Danco silicone valve grease while you are there to put on the O ring and prevent it from sticking in the slot and tearing in the future.
A neat trick to catch water (or antifreeze when you de-winterize) is to slide a cool-whip tub or sherbet tub under the filter housing. Slide you filter wrench up first then finagle the tub underneath. Use a towel to catch excess.

Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #16

Thanks for the information, I went back to the trailer and looked again at the filter housing, no o ring in sight. Then I remembered that I dumped the filter housing after I sanitized, and the o ring was stuck to the top and I dumped it on the ground, I found it where I dumped the water out, thanks again>>>>>
Old 09-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #17

9-7-2012, yea!, filter back in a no leaks. This is my first rodeo with a water filter system in a RV, but i am learning. If i had my wishes the water filter would be under the kitchen sink and only filter water used for cooking and drinking.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #18

WaterPur failure

After hearing the water pump running without any water pressure I looked under the bed in our 23' Wildwood and found the entire filter and housing (CCI-10CLW12) sitting on the floor. The front half of the trailer was soaked.

The housing had broken off just above the O ring and dropped to the floor and just sat there under the connection.

When I contacted WaterPur I hadn't finished my sentence when the customer service dude said, "Broke at the O ring."

They know it is a weak point because acrylic can't take the pressure, but refused to replace it since they can make so much more money selling replacements. The temperature under the bed never reaches temperatures which would cause a freeze bursting and we've had much worse winters. It's just a case of buyer beware. WaterPur sucks and will not stand behind their products.
Sierra Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:31 AM   #19

I bought a 2 pack of filters @ WalMart for $9.00....made by Filtrete. Works just fine.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #20

cpaulsen - Thanks for the advice. Hopefully the wallyworld in Martell (Sierras) has them.

When asked why they don't make a suitable housing from a more suitable material that would better tolerate expansion/contraction the "customer service" dude, which I assume is also the sales dude, said it was because of the weight. I know for fact, having researched plastics for manufacturing years ago, that he was attempting to blow smoke up my kilt. It's solely bottom line profit margins. The acrylic they use is the CHEAPE$T process. It is as it always is, just about MONEY.

p.s., we're talking about 1800 ft elevation here. Not Donner Party cold. If it was, I'd be inclined to toss the WaterPur guy on the barbie first!
Sierra Sam is offline   Reply With Quote