Old 11-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #1

Water Heater Bypass Question

So, we had our 2013 Sunseeker 3010 winterized already. They said in the spring add a 1/4 cup bleach and a couple of gallons to the fresh water tank, drive on a curvy road, turn on water pump and flush out all of the pink from hot and cold through all lines. Just repeating that to verify it was correct. They also said all valves for hot water heater were in open position and did not have to be turned when doing the above. I looked and noticed that the cold water line valve and hot water line valves leading to hot water heater appear to be open allowing water to flow through. Also noticed that the hot water heater bypass valve appeared to be open. Should the bypass valve be left open all the time when using the hot water water heater after the antifreeze has been flushed out or should I close it after I have all the antifreeze out?

Old 11-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #2

Water heater Bypass should be shut for normal use. Not sure why they have everything open. If the inlet and outlet valves were open during the winterizing process then there would be a lot of pink stuff in the heater. If they opened it afterwards then there would only be a little until (if you listened to them) you run the pump and flushed a bunch in. No matter what, things are messed up. First of all I would close the inlet and outlet valves and flush the system using the city water hookup not the on board tank and pump. Open everything, sinks , shower, outside spray, and under coach drains. You should run the pump just to clear the pump lines. The filter housing (filter should have been removed during winterizing) should be flushed with the city water supply unless it is bypassed when on the city water supply then the pump would flush it.

Since it is hard to flush out the water heater if pink stuff got into it, I would pull the drain plug to drain anything out. With the plug out you could open the inlet valve and flush it using the city water supply
Once done you can reinstall the drain plug make sure the inlet and outlet valves are open and the bypass is closed. Reinstall the water filter and you should be good to go.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #3

Thanks for the feedback ATVer. I like the idea of using city water line to clear out all the pink stuff and try and avoid it to go into the water heater. Would you not recommend the 1/4 cup bleach with a couple of gallons of water to clean the tanks and all the lines?
Old 11-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #4

Bleach is good to sanitize the tank and lines after flushing out the pink stuff. I'm not sure what bleach would do to the filter cartridge so I would install it after the bleach flush.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #5

I agree about leaving the water filter out until everything is washed out. The dealership that winterized it took it out and left it out already. I will reinstall after I clear out the pink and do a quick rinse. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #6

As indicated above the bleach is used to sanatize. Most organizations that deal with sanatizing water systems are required to meet some standard; 100 ppm chlorine sitting for 24 hours is not unusual. And most diffinately use the city water as the tool to flush prior.