Old 04-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #11

Sort of an update

So, it was too dark to really do much of anything, so I stuck my iPhone and took some photos behind the panel. I also stuck my hand in there and felt for any fittings. All seemed to be tight and I didn't feel any moisture at all.
Have to be honest, here, don't even know what I'm looking for. (she says sheepishly).
I am posting some of the photos. Sorry for the quality, as I just couldn't even see enough to know where I was pointing the phone.
I am curious about the silver duct (looks like the ones attached to my dryer). Why is that there? Is that some sort of a heating vent?
And did I mention we're not handy? Yeah, I thought so.
(I hope I'm at least providing some comic relief to some of you handy people out there!)
Thanks, yet again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	27471   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (2).jpg
Views:	44
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	27472   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (3).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	27473   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (4).jpg
Views:	68
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	27474   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (5).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	27475  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (6).jpg
Views:	67
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	27476   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (7).jpg
Views:	50
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	27477  

Old 04-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #12

The small hose is part of Artic Pac or at least heated wet spaces to prevent freezing while camping and using the heater. The easiest way to find the leak is to first dry up like you're doing. Refill system and check the areas you are looking at now. Filter, pump and piping. Most likely it will be a screwed fitting, filter, pump hook ups etc. If it gets wet and can't find the problem, drop pressure, refill and pressurize again. Don't let it go! Standing way will cause damage, mold etc.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #13

Ah. That is most helpful. Will re-fill and test in the next day or so. If we can't figure it out in the next couple of days, will take it in to have someone look at it.
I may not have the handy gene, but I do have the I-can-write-a-check-to-make-up-for-it gene.
Fingers crossed it doesn't come to that, tho. That said, I would hope that would fall under warranty work.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #14

The silver duct is indeed a heating outlet from the furnace. It keeps the compartment nice and warm when you run the furnace so none of the plumbing freezes. There's one on the other side for the dump connection compartment. They also keep the holding tanks warm. We were in an exposed area with a 20 mph wind and a low of about 18 degrees. I checked the compartments the next morning and they were over 50 degrees.

Please note that if you use an electric heater to keep your coach warm, none of the air flow goes through these ducts, so the plumbing can get cold. When it's really cold outside, run the furnace some to prevent the plumbing from freezing.

As for your original post about a leak in the compartment, all I can offer is to keep pressure on it and keep checking it. If you have a leak at normal pressures the coach's water pump will run for a second or two once in a while to keep the pressure up. If you use this method to check for leaks, turn the water heater off and run all the hot water out of it first. If you start a leak down test with the water hot, as the water cools it shrinks a little and the pressure drops, causing the pump to run. This is normal and would make you think you have a leak when you don't.

One thing that you might do is to start with the water heater full of cold water (run all the hot water out), then turn on the water heater and don't open any faucets for a few hours. The water in the heater will expand as it is heated and increase the pressure above the normal city water or pump pressure. The water heater has a relief valve that will open and protect the system. You may have a leak only when the pressure goes really high. Some may cringe at the thought of this, but the system has to be built to withstand this pressure because sooner or later it will happen on its own.

Keep posting with your questions. Someone will help you come up with a solution.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgtiburon View Post
Ah. That is most helpful. Will re-fill and test in the next day or so. If we can't figure it out in the next couple of days, will take it in to have someone look at it.
I may not have the handy gene, but I do have the I-can-write-a-check-to-make-up-for-it gene.
Fingers crossed it doesn't come to that, tho. That said, I would hope that would fall under warranty work.
Be patient and use a good light, you'll get it.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #16

Although we have not had our new 2860 out yet, I did notice that one for the latch handles does not pull the storage door corner tight. When the weather permits I wil check the adjustment of the latch.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #17

It's raining/lightning, so even though we can't fill the tanks and test things, we will know tomorrow whether the latches are working and rain can get in. To quote the great philosophers from Monty Python, always look on the bright side of life...
Old 04-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #18

Update: no water all week, despite pouring rain. No water seen when unit's fresh-water tank was filled with water.
Water found again at campsite, but not sure if it appeared before or after pump was used, so ran pump to check and amount of water in the storage cabinet did not increase.
Will keep our eye on it in the next couple of days.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:04 AM   #19

Anyway to remove a false wall or baffle to see the pump and other connections? Br much quicker resolve....
Old 04-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #20

Were you travelling when it was raining? Could be rain water was forced in from wind going down the road.

wingriders is offline   Reply With Quote