Old 04-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #1

Question Water in 3170 storage bin question

Hi,
When we got home from camping this weekend, the outside storage bin where you can access the water filter in our 2013 Sunseeker 3170 bunkhouse was full of water. It took three large beach towels to soak up the water.
Any ideas?
I should note that we had water in the fresh water tank. The water did not have a smell (not likely black or gray tank). And there was no filter installed yet.
After drying the area, drained all the fresh water, then installed the filter and tightened the water filter holder ( not sure what it's called) with the plastic tool that came with the unit.
We camped on a relatively level site. It did rain last night, but the bin door was closed.
Are we missing anything?
Thanks!

Old 04-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #2

Check the filter housing to be sure the gasket is in place. There should be a black circular flat gasket in the top of the removable part of housing. Once when I dumped the water out of the filter housing while dewinterizing didn't notice that I had dumped the gasket and had a very bad leak when I turned the pump on. We were leaving for a long trip the next day so I had to buy another housing from our RV dealer. I later bought some gaskets direct from the filter maufacturer. (I found the gasket that fall when cleaning the bushes next to where the RV had been parked.)

Old 04-07-2013, 09:07 PM   #3

Checked. Yup, it's in there. I'm hopeful that tightening the whole unit will do the trick.
Thanks.,
Old 04-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #4

Check the water fittings on the filter. We had on of the fittings come loose last summer and had water around the water filter. It took a few minutes to find the leak.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
Love My Sunseeker

Nothing to do with your issue, but I, too have a 2013 Class C, except I got the computer desk option.

I had water in one of my storage bays, but it was because I was in a rainy area and I left the storage bay open accidentally. It was the driver's side rear storage bay (the large one) and it was under the table. YUCK! Also took 3 towels to clear.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #6

Will look tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #7
B47

Is your water pump located in the same area? We had water in our Silverback FW compartment where the water filter is located and could not find the source.

Finally found that the filter housing on the back of the pump had come loose and water was coming from there. Tightened it and no problem since.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:15 AM   #8

Your pump is located in the same bin, you need to remove all the screws on the panel. You will notice lines coming from the fresh tank\water supply. It sounds like there may be a loose fitting, hopefully not at the tank. Thats much harder to access. Check the pump in\out fittings and water filter in\out fittings.

Was your water pump on, pressurizing the system during travel? Did you notice it cycling on\off more frequently, if so you definitly have a small leak somewhere. When you have the panel removed, turn the pump on to see if there is water "pissing" from a fitting or water line.

FYI -That bin should have a drain plug behind the panel. Next time you won't need 3 towels.

One more thought....Was it raining on your way home? This happened to me once. That bin has 2 latches and on one of my trips only 1 latch properly grabbed the lip. It was raining pretty heavy on our way home and that bin had substantial water in it when we got home because the compartment door was slightly cracked open on one side.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #9

Thanks for the ideas

Just now seeing this post, so will probably have to peek tomorrow.
Was not raining and the compartment was properly closed. Did find the plug for the drain but our driveway is slopped in the other direction (of course!).
The pump was not on during travel.
So it's really sounding like some fitting is probably loose.
Did I mention we are not at all handy? Well, there's always the present to learn, right? Will report what we find.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #10

Also look for freeze damage or cracks in the fittings on the inlet side of the pump when you check for loose fittings. Not sure if the 3170 is the same as the 3120 but there is no drain on the piping between the pump and the fresh water tank. The only way to freeze protect this piping is to put antifreeze in the fresh water tank (which is dumb because it's so hard to clear it out when dewinterizing) or take the piping apart at the pump to drain it. You can run the pump to try and suck it out but I wouldn't trust that method for Michigan winters. I installed a drain in this area.