Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2015, 08:17 AM   #1

Water in Storage Bin (same as water filter location)

I have standing water in my storage bin next to the rear passenger side tires, the same bin with the water filter door and pump. It seems that this water collects in the bin after we have the trailer back home from a trip and at first I thought it was rain.

Ideas:
- Water filter o-ring/seal is leaking?
- Fridge defrost into this compartment?
- Leaking during draining the fresh water tank?

Anyone else have this issue or know what it might be?

Thanks.
knockando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:59 AM   #2

I had a little water in that compartment that I thought might have come through the access panel seal. It was at the front of the compartment at the access panel. I could not find the source and it was fine this weekend when I took it out.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockando View Post
I have standing water in my storage bin next to the rear passenger side tires, the same bin with the water filter door and pump. It seems that this water collects in the bin after we have the trailer back home from a trip and at first I thought it was rain.

Ideas:
- Water filter o-ring/seal is leaking?
- Fridge defrost into this compartment?
- Leaking during draining the fresh water tank?

Anyone else have this issue or know what it might be?

Thanks.
If this has happened more than once, I would try to secure a plastic bag around the water filter when you get home and see if water collects in the bag. Maybe that would tell you if the leak is coming from the filter or connections. Just an idea
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 04:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacklem View Post
I had a little water in that compartment that I thought might have come through the access panel seal. It was at the front of the compartment at the access panel. I could not find the source and it was fine this weekend when I took it out.
It was a substantial amount of water, maybe 1/4 - 1/2 gallon and it has happened on multiple times when rain or other external sources of water were not present.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimOneil43 View Post
If this has happened more than once, I would try to secure a plastic bag around the water filter when you get home and see if water collects in the bag. Maybe that would tell you if the leak is coming from the filter or connections. Just an idea
Great idea, I'll do that this weekend when we take it out.

Another thought was condensation during these humid summer months but it is just too much water for that.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:09 PM   #6

Water in compartment

We had this on our maiden voyage.We quickly discovered that the seal was not done properly on our water tank.There is a round part that was done completely wrong to seal it.We had to have a whole new tank installed.It was in that same compartment.
Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	85331  
sunseekercamper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:20 PM   #7

Water in bin

I had the same problem on mine same bin after two days of traveling in rain over inch deep dealer can't duplicate so I don't know how it got in but has not happened again yet but I think it came from underneath some how
Boso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:39 PM   #8

Have you checked that foam insulation there may be a small gap someplace and while driving it could flip water if raining. I have the same setup and haven't had a problem yet. You can buy the foam insulation in a can at Lowes or Home Depot.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunseekercamper56 View Post
We had this on our maiden voyage.We quickly discovered that the seal was not done properly on our water tank.There is a round part that was done completely wrong to seal it.We had to have a whole new tank installed.It was in that same compartment.
Hope this helps
Our water tank is under the bed so unless the water is "wicking" down the line to the water filter/pump I doubt this is it, I at least hope it isn't it.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:14 PM   #10

My leak in this bin was the o ring around the little clear cap that pre filters the pump
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:38 PM   #11

I've had this problem on my 2300 Sunseeker, with the doors were hinged at the bottom. Flop doors I call them. Bent the latch plates so as to get a tighter seal at the top and that solved it for me.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:26 PM   #12

I had a pool of water in that compartment earlier this year on my 3170DS, 1st time ever. Thought it was the O-ring on the water filter but turned out it was a plastic coupling where the plastic water line enters the water pump. I could see the water dripping out of the connection at the coupling, but trying to tighten the coupling further didn't help (it was about as tight as it could go without breaking or stripping it). So I thought the coupling was cracked - since it was right after Winter. I unscrewed the coupling from the water pump, inspected it for cracks - it looked fine, so I re-tightened it back together and it hasn't leaked in 5 months. Go figure.
BuickGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:00 AM   #13

Spoke with my RV shop today and they fixed the leak, had a bad 'screen' in the pump or something. Not sure if the screen was bad, wasn't seated correctly or just by taking the pump apart and putting it back together fixed it. I'll try to get more info when I pick it up but that is what was causing the leak.

Tags
cat, location, storage, water, water filter