Old 08-16-2014, 03:26 PM   #1

Water Tank Drain 3170

I know where the low point drain hoses are on the 3170 but, is this also considered the water tank drain or is that in a separate location?

Old 08-16-2014, 03:48 PM   #2

I am not sure what your asking but the water drain valve is to the right of your water filter. You can't even see it unless put your whole head in the compartment and look to the right. There is a valve there. Just remove the cap on the bottom of your hose under the RV then turn that valve and your fresh water will drain.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 08-16-2014, 04:55 PM   #3

The low point drains are on the downstream side of the water pump. The water tank is on the upstream side of the water pump. I can't tell you where either is located, but I can tell you they are NOT the same. The tank drain is usually right on the bottom of the tank, but there may be hose between the tank and the valve since you have a motor home.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlklingejr View Post
I am not sure what your asking but the water drain valve is to the right of your water filter. You can't even see it unless put your whole head in the compartment and look to the right. There is a valve there. Just remove the cap on the bottom of your hose under the RV then turn that valve and your fresh water will drain.

Thanks

That was what I was asking.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
The low point drains are on the downstream side of the water pump. The water tank is on the upstream side of the water pump. I can't tell you where either is located, but I can tell you they are NOT the same. The tank drain is usually right on the bottom of the tank, but there may be hose between the tank and the valve since you have a motor home.

I respectfully disagree. The low point cold water drain and the fresh water tank drain are one and the same on the Sunseeker. As others have said, the valve is located next to the water pump and filter. If you look under the chassis, you will see the drain lines. My cold line does not have a cap on it--controlled by the valve. The hot water line drain is next to the cold. It does not have a valve but a cap on the end of the line.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 08-17-2014, 11:44 AM   #6

Well so I thought I was draining the tank by just opening the hose cap under the MH but barely a trickle runs out so then I started wondering why there's not more of a rush of water.

I have not been opening that valve by the filters so I guess, I haven't been draining the water tank. Lesson learned.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:44 AM   #7

If you use an RV about once a month should you drain the hot water?

Old 08-17-2014, 11:45 AM   #8

I have never drained mine.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post
I respectfully disagree. The low point cold water drain and the fresh water tank drain are one and the same on the Sunseeker. As others have said, the valve is located next to the water pump and filter. If you look under the chassis, you will see the drain lines. My cold line does not have a cap on it--controlled by the valve. The hot water line drain is next to the cold. It does not have a valve but a cap on the end of the line.

Then what you are saying is your fresh water holding tank is blumbed directly to your cold water lines (unless the drain valve is a 3 way valve). And, if not a 3 way valve then respectfully, I think you need to reevaluate your blumbing as your scenario would allow the fresh water tank to port water directly into your cold water lines by-passing the water pump. Some rv's do not have both hot and cold low point drains but I believe all will have a dedicated fresh water holding tank drain. JMO.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #10

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1408296490.278960.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	570.5 KB
ID:	60739

Thanks to Hoglou on another thread, here is a picture of the plumbing. Top blue is city water feed. It has a tee with the output of the pump into the water filter. Next blue line is from the fresh water tank. Notice it has a tee in it. One side goes to the input of the water pump. Other side is a drain--notice the valve in it. Red line is the hot water line low point drain. Blue line on the right side of filter is feed to all water lines.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1408296809.148919.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	897.5 KB
ID:	60740

Here is a picture of the modification I made to mine to connect a line to an antifreeze bottle and have the pump pull antifreeze into the system. (Remove water filter first).

Tags
3170, drain, tank, water, water tank