Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2014, 11:40 AM   #1

Wax For 2860DS Sunseeker

Way too many bugs and super hard to remove from the front of the MH (Fiberglass body and E-450 front) So what wax works the best and easiest to apply, to help in bug removal after a trip. yearly application would be best. I saw one post for Nu Finish.

Thanks
asparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #2

I use the good old Turtle Wax, never had a problem removing bugs, Get the paste it works the best.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:01 PM   #3

Our solution to bug removal is wet newspaper over the splatter for an hour or two and they'll normally come right off. Splat to Remove time seems to be a major parameter; we 'cherry pick' the easy ones each evening if possible.
Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:01 PM   #4
RV Nomad

Rejex. I used it this spring before our trip to Florida. Used it just on the front fiberglass cap and front cab. Ran into a few swarms of the lovebugs on the way back home. Everything washed off the front with a normal washing, no damage from lovebug guts (I've read that they can permanently ruin paint).
Old 06-25-2014, 05:53 PM   #5

Simple Green seems to work for me. I use it on the whole coach (except the van part). Works great for black streaks also.
rbetzwieser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgzx View Post
Rejex. I used it this spring before our trip to Florida. Used it just on the front fiberglass cap and front cab. Ran into a few swarms of the lovebugs on the way back home. Everything washed off the front with a normal washing, no damage from lovebug guts (I've read that they can permanently ruin paint).
Rejex seems similar to Poli Glow (which I have not used but did research on it). I never heard of Rejex before this post.
Anyone try Poli Glow?
These "coatings" leave me skeptical especially Poli Glow since the application seems to be very laborious but I don't enjoy chore of scrubbing the over cab fiberglass nose from a ladder either.
I've tried the soaking process. Heck, I'm in south Louisiana where most nights have dew form as soon as the sun sets so that's around 12 - 13 hours of soaking under the humid night air. It helps but still requires a good bit of elbow work - even with the 3M film which brings me to their spray-on removable film: 3M Paint Defender Spray Film with synthetic wax - Sprayable Paint Protection Film, 90000 - 3M Auto

I'm interested in any tried and true products or process. Like Florida, I'm in a bug haven.
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:58 AM   #7

thanks, Is the Rejex hard to apply? I've been told only lasts around 6 months? Any other recommendations? I too am in desert country Washington state.. can't go anywhere without lots of bugs.
Thanks again
Old 06-26-2014, 10:24 AM   #8

Wax For 2860DS Sunseeker

We've used Nu Finish on our fiver for the last 2 years and feel it's easy to apply and remove but not sure if it's as durable as I would like. The next time I wax it I'm going to use a Meguiar's marine wax, reviews on that product seem to be pretty good. As for bug removal, we use Bounce dryer sheets and they work great. Just get the sheet wet and gently scrub them off. Wipe any remaining residue with a clean, damp towel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
slide5r4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:17 PM   #9

Thanks.
Good or bad on Meguiar's Flagship Premium Marine Wax?
I heard it shined up great but didn't last long?
Old 06-26-2014, 07:05 PM   #10
RV Nomad

Yes, from what I have read, Rejex lasts about 6 months tops. It is a liquid, goes on easy, wait 10-15 minutes, wipe off. Similar application to Nu-finish, but the Rejex is a little easier to wipe off. I was worried about the love bugs on our trip, did alot of research on various RV sites, and Rejex came highly recommended. Got it on Amazon. I only use it on the front, for the fiberglass sides I use Aerospace 303. Its a UV protectant, keeps the decals from fading. I apply it to the tires and window frames also, does a nice job. Really easy to apply. Spray on, wipe dry immediately.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:29 PM   #11

I use this wax on my jet ski for years, holds up really well with a nice gloss. Easy to work with. It is called Collinite Fleetwax Heavy Duty Paste. Using it on my 2015 Forester 3011. Check it out here. http://www.amazon.com/COLLINITE-Flee...ords=collinite

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forum
Old 06-27-2014, 12:10 AM   #12

I gotta ask, what is a love bug? not a VW I assume... LOL
Old 06-27-2014, 12:28 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by asparky View Post
I gotta ask, what is a love bug? not a VW I assume... LOL
Here you go:

Lovebug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I hit a swarm of them mating, a few years back, while I was on my motorcycle. Good thing I was wearing a full-face helmet. It wasn't pretty.

Having enough experience with these pesky critters here in Louisiana, I headed straight for a car wash to try and get as much off as I could before they dried up....which they become a real PITA to remove then. I consider myself lucky that I was ATGATT that evening, as I stripped down and had to spray my jacket and boots off too.

Months later, when I removed the side covers, I still had hundreds of them caked on stuff I couldn't get to with the car wash sprayer. Talk about mad.

I can only imagine the problems of hitting a swarm of them with an RV.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by asparky View Post
Thanks.
Good or bad on Meguiar's Flagship Premium Marine Wax?
I heard it shined up great but didn't last long?
There are lots of reviews about this product on amazon.com, most of which are pretty positive. There are some reviews posted by folks that used it on RV gel coat that did not have good results though. Like anything, I guess it boils down to personal preference.

I've also read some good things about Collinite Fleetwax Heavy Duty Paste that Rzbot uses. I might look into that product specifically for the front cap.

Regardless of which product you end up using the next time you wax, using Bounce dryer sheets to remove bugs after each road trip is essential in keeping the front cap looking great. There have been several threads on this forum over the last year or two where members discuss their results with using dryer sheets on bugs. Try it, you'll be amazed at how well it works.
slide5r4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:32 PM   #15

yes the front cap and front coach areas behind the E450 cab doors and the mirrors and grill / hood areas are the hardest hit by bugs. I cant get on top of the coach to get to the cap easily so want a long lasting product! Everyone raves about bounce dryer sheets so will give that a try also. I have some bounce and downy sheets, I think they have the same sheet material with different smells.

Tags
sunseeker, wax