Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2017, 06:28 PM   #1

What did you replace your Magnadyne with?

We have a 2015 Sunseeker with the Magnadyne M4 LCD unit. While it is not the most intuitive piece of equipment I've ever used (understatement), I've gotten used to it, and up until our last trip have not been unhappy with it. This time around, while travelling from North Jersey to Myrtle Beach and back, the NAV worked fine until I actually needed it...like navigating through the DC area, where it kept freezing up with an error message (igo.exe error, or something like that...meant to write it down to share here). I tried rebooting it by holding the power button until it restarted, which got it going again, but it kept freezing. Then I tried resetting it, using the little button on the bottom left, to the same effect. Seems like every time I had to reboot or reset it, it was when I was coming up on an intersection or exit!!

At this point, I'm thinking it's time to try something else...question is what can I replace it with? Since it handles the surround sound for the TV, etc., I'm assuming that I can't just go to Crutchfield and pick something that fits...or can I? For those of you who have replaced yours, what did you replace it with?
rad_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:11 PM   #2
2012 Solera

Kenwood DDX 470 and Garmin 760RV LMT. Believe the model Kenwood I chose is now obsolete (but I'm sure updated versions available). Also, does not have GPS - hence the Garmin. I had to splice the speaker and power connections - the Magnadyne connectors were not compatible with the Kenwood. Also, on our Sprinter the headlights are used for day time running lights - I put in a push button switch on the Kenwood lights wire so I can dim the display at night (the Magnadyne had the same problem). No problem getting everything working with the Kenwood, including the TV surround sound (just used aux input, same as with the Magnadyne).
Personally, I much prefer the stand-alone GPS. Map stays displayed while my wife uses the Kenwood for audio books, radio, DVDs, etc.
Before I switched, I did solve my Magnadyne GPS problems (freeze up) by getting and installing an updated GPS system from Magnadyne. You might call them - they were quite supportive. We actually changed the unit out for sound quality concerns.
Also, if the sound portion of the Magnadyne is acceptable to you, you might consider just adding a stand-alone GPS and don't use the one on the Magnadyne. I think you can get an automotive GPS (like a Garmin 1450 LMT, which I have in a car - also obsolete, but equivalents available) for +/- $100 with lifetime maps and traffic and lane assist - if you don't need RV specific functions, an excellent solution.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:09 PM   #3

I tried to use the pos Jensen in our 2016 as it has a GPS as well. I tinkered with settings until I was blue (red?) in the face, it appears the genius engineer that designed this thing was doing it on a 30" computer monitor. When that is reduced to that 7" screen, it is tiny tiny tiny.
The location & angle in the GM dash doesn't help either.

I had my Garmin road GPS that I used in our old Four Winds as well as the pickup and car when needed. Quickly giving up on the Jensen, I installed a permanent mount on the dash next to the piller:

using a RAM mount setup:

Never again will I try to use the Jensen for the Nav unit.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:30 PM   #4
Citrus County, Fl.

Although I have the Jensen in my 2016 I prefer to either use Google Maps or Waze on my phone as they are always up to date and give you current traffic conditions and detours.

I still use the Jensen if I can as it does have the "bus" feature that will take you a couple of blocks out of the way to prevent you from taking an uh-oh route. Saved me at least once as google maps said go right and the Jensen said go left and kept me out of a road that was narrow as an alley.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:48 PM   #5

I have a 2015 Charleston Diesel Pusher that came from the factory with the POS Magnadyne M4. M4 locked up on the trip home from the dealer (1000 miles from dealer of course). Replaced under warranty with no hassles, and in a few months the replacement died. I've now had this same head unit replaced under warranty (manufacturer and extended warranties) a total of 4 times in 3 years. I'm done with it.

I've been talking to my favorite car electronics installer about an upgrade: We're looking at putting in a Pioneer GPS Headunit (AVIC-8201NEX - Flagship In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver with 7” WVGA Capacitive Touchscreen Display and included ND-BC8 Back-Up Camera | Pioneer Electronics USA). Great connectivity with my iPhone, voice-texting, Apple Car Play, should be wonderful! I prefer using my Good Sam GPS for routing, but having the Pioneer GPS as a backup will be wonderful.

I really like that the M4 had 4 camera inputs (when they work), but having it automatically switch to the camera view when changing lanes has caused me to blow turns in navigation. (M4 would be on the cameras because of my turn signal, so I couldn't see the next maneuver). Another reason for the Good Sam GPS...

Since the Pioneer only accepts 2 cameras, and I use all 4, we're going to install a 7" 4-channel monitor that can display any one, or all 4 cameras simultaneously. (SV-8900.QM.II - Universal Commercial Grade 7” HD LCD Color Quad Monitor | Crimestopper™) This monitor has the same camera wiring as the M4, so all I need to do is hook up power and ground, then plug the cameras in.

Why 4 cameras? In addition to the rear, left-side and right-side cameras, I also have a camera mounted on the right side of the coach, pointed a little rearward of perpendicular. This camera covers a huge blind spot. If the intersection I'm sitting at isn't perpendicular to the road I'm on, or if the approaching road is coming at me from the rear, I can't see what's coming. I often drive alone with my kids, or the wife is asleep, so I put in a camera to cover this blind spot.

It's a lot of monitors, but I've got a big dash. This seems to be the best fit for my situation and needs.
ckabrahamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:05 PM   #6

I know a lot of people complain about the Magnadyne and we were one of them since the GPS would freeze and the clock would not keep time. I called the factory and there customer service was fantastic and they sent us updated software at no cost. We did the upgrade 2 years ago and have not had an issue since, the unit works flawlessly.
clhjsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by clhjsh View Post
I know a lot of people complain about the Magnadyne and we were one of them since the GPS would freeze and the clock would not keep time. I called the factory and there customer service was fantastic and they sent us updated software at no cost. We did the upgrade 2 years ago and have not had an issue since, the unit works flawlessly.
Did you have to remove the unit from the dash to install software update ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Did you have to remove the unit from the dash to install software update ???
Yes the unit needs to be removed and on the back ours has a short cord with a USB connector for a thumb drive with the updates to go into. I think I remember that some of the newer models you can use the front USB but I am not totally sure.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:41 AM   #9

Thanks for all of the feedback...looks like there are more options than I figured! I do like the idea of a "bus" mode on some of the other units. I'm not worried about the cameras...only have the one in back to watch my toad, and it goes to a screen mounted where the rear view mirror would normally be. Not sure whether I'll call Magnadyne and give them one more shot, or just replace the thing...needs to come out of the dash either way. Whichever way I go, I appreciate the help!
rad_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:33 AM   #10

Thanks clhjsh for the reply !!!
FR replaced out Magnadyne in 14 after we bought our 2013 because the radio sucked,,,
Problem was not the radio,,, I believe it is the placement of the antenna,,, under the nose of the Sunseeker !!! We don't want to get started on that again !!! LOL !!!
Anyway I believe our Magnadyne is running software from 2010/2011 !!!
Totally worthless if you are on a new road !!! Or re-done interchange !!!
Old 04-28-2017, 05:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks clhjsh for the reply !!!
FR replaced out Magnadyne in 14 after we bought our 2013 because the radio sucked,,,
Problem was not the radio,,, I believe it is the placement of the antenna,,, under the nose of the Sunseeker !!! We don't want to get started on that again !!! LOL !!!
Anyway I believe our Magnadyne is running software from 2010/2011 !!!
Totally worthless if you are on a new road !!! Or re-done interchange !!!
We also updated the maps from naviextras.com I think it was $60 and also had to remove the radio.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:23 AM   #12

Quote:
We also updated the maps from naviextras.com I think it was $60 and also had to remove the radio.
Yes that is what we need to do also !!!
At this point we are not sure we will be able to RV this summer,,, I have a date with a Neurosurgeon next month,,, then we may know ???
Old 04-29-2017, 04:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Yes that is what we need to do also !!!
At this point we are not sure we will be able to RV this summer,,, I have a date with a Neurosurgeon next month,,, then we may know ???
Oh WOW. Sorry to hear that!! Hope all turns out well for you.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Oh WOW. Sorry to hear that!! Hope all turns out well for you.

THANKS !!!

I hate looking @ our Sunseeker setting in the backyard,,, waiting for some one to get it cleaned up and ready for the road !!!