Old 08-19-2014, 09:26 PM   #41
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
If it were on my camper, it would be removed immediately. Looks horrible IMO. Surely this was shown as a joke.
Really? It's an outlet and we put a small cargo net on the wall. From the door you don't even notice it.

You know of course that the white wire and phone are not part of the design. Those are there just for example.

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:34 PM   #42

Hey, folks, it's a prototype. Make it work first then make it pretty!

RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:42 PM   #43
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markangie24 View Post
How about something on the wall with a dark glass enclosure that actually matches the interiors? Not with wires hanging, we have that now. Stay ahead of the times instead of behind!! Set the standard for the industry.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Part of the issue with something hidden like that is for long trips my kids will sometimes be plugged in while they're using their devices. Putting it behind an enclosure or in the front entertainment center reduces the functionality while in transit.

Unlike a trailer...this will get used in transit and there aren't near as many nooks and crannies to hide stuff. I always have mine plugged into the dash USB, especially when I use the GPS.

Tomorrow I'll take a picture without the phone hooked up.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:45 PM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Part of the issue with something hidden like that is for long trips my kids will sometimes be plugged in while they're using their devices. Putting it behind an enclosure or in the front entertainment center reduces the functionality while in transit.

Unlike a trailer...this will get used in transit and there aren't near as many nooks and crannies to hide stuff. I always have mine plugged into the dash USB, especially when I use the GPS.

Tomorrow I'll take a picture without the phone hooked up.
It'll still have wires hanging for when the kids use it. I'd prefer to see something closer to the ground, below seat level at least that they can snake a cord up from.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:14 PM   #45

I like the idea, especially that it is powered by 12 volts and that it provides sufficient amps for charging an iPad.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 08-20-2014, 10:25 PM   #46

Seems like a good idea. I like the single outlet with the USB hub. But something is better then nothing.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:30 PM   #47

I love the idea...definitely would be useful! But for now, me and my family bought a few of these adapters and plugged them in a few places...they work great!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1408588226.653255.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	644.9 KB
ID:	61060
Old 08-20-2014, 10:55 PM   #48

The problem with the adapters is making 12v into 120 back into 12v. Seems like a waste to me, but I know nothing about electric stuff
Old 08-20-2014, 11:06 PM   #49

I see this is in the SunSeeker thread. What model are you prototyping it in?

How about this. Open the top of the dinette bench that is next to the couch, and put a 10" deep by 3" wide pocket in it the whole width. Put the USB outlet in the pocket at the wall end. Pad the bottom to protect the devices.
- or -
Put a tip out cabinet in the back of the bench that can hold the electronics and the USB outlet. Make it room enough for a magazine or two.
2013 - 15
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:26 PM   #50
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorbuthappy View Post
The problem with the adapters is making 12v into 120 back into 12v. Seems like a waste to me, but I know nothing about electric stuff
Generally, you'd be right that the more you convert, the more you lose.

But in this case we've been discussing USB, which runs at 5V. In either case there's going to be a conversion. Either from 12V to 5V or from 120V to 5V. Both are a single conversion so effectively there's not much of a loss difference.

(Then again I dropped out of Elect. Eng. to switch to Comp. Sci, so I could be wrong. I'm sure one of the real electricians can correct me if that's the case.)