Old 12-13-2014, 12:43 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocktoad13 View Post
Nope...4x4, I remove the rear D's and leave front hubs unlocked, transmission in park and transfer case in 2wd...never even kno it's back there...

I'm not questioning you and only want to learn but why can't you just put the transfer case in neutral and not bother with the drive shaft? I have a 2014 Wrangler and that's how it's meant to be flat towed. I know there have been lots of changes but I know several folks with CJ's that do the same. I do love the Jeep. Fun to drive and easy to hook up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 12-13-2014, 07:31 PM   #52

Issue with towing a CJ-7 with a Dana 300 transfer case is that when you put it in neutral and don't disconnect the rear drive shaft the rear output bearing is not immersed in gear oil and only gets lubrication by the slinging of gear oil when the transfer case is in gear. I've seen multiple methods of flat towing a CJ-7 without disconnecting the rear drive shaft, none convince me that I won't be putting my transfer case at risk. It's easy enough (for me) to disconnect the rear drive shaft and secure it out of the way. I enjoy most any kind of wrenching.

I did flat tow my son's 2013 JK Wrangler to Atlanta earlier this year with no problems. It is true the new Jeep Wranglers are set up to flat tow easily.

Toad

Old 12-13-2014, 08:38 PM   #53

Toad thanks for the info. I learned something as usual. Is this stick? My original plan was to buy a used CJ but prices on one that hasn't been beat to heck are outrageous. We went to look at a clean 2012 and ended up buying a Sport for 1500 more. They hold there value better than anything I've seen. Plus did I mention I live driving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 12-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #54

My CJ-7 is an auto but it didn't start life that way (1984). It has a swapped in slightly built 360 with a TF999 automatic transmission. For me tho the process would be the same if it were a manual. I'd still disconnect the rear DS and leave the transmission in gear and transfer case in 2wd. With the rear DS disconnected and the front hubs unlocked none of the drive train is turning except the wheels/tires.

The newer JK's are more set up to flat tow without diconnecting anything with just the transfer case in neutral.

In case you can't tell I'm somewhat of a shade tree - particularly on Jeeps

Toad
Old 12-13-2014, 09:06 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMDP View Post
We tow a 2014 Subaru Outback with absolutely no issues. It's great having an all wheel drive vehicle wherever we go.

We also tow the 2014 Outback. Really easy, no hassle limits while towing after everything was setup.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 12-14-2014, 04:28 PM   #56

Jeep!

We use a 14 JK wrangler w/auto. What's not to love.....
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:33 PM   #57

Tow a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #58

We tow a 2013 Jeep Wrangler (JK) Rubicon 2 door.. Best flat tow vehicle out there for your coach.... Towed ours to Myrtle Beach from PA plus a few other trips.. Never know it was back there...
2014 Georgetown 328 TSF
2012 Jayco Eagle Supe Lite 308 RETS (Seasonal Site)
2013 Jeep Rubicon with Mods..
Jmsx2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:01 PM   #59

what do you tow with your class c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmsx2 View Post
We tow a 2013 Jeep Wrangler (JK) Rubicon 2 door.. Best flat tow vehicle out there for your coach.... Towed ours to Myrtle Beach from PA plus a few other trips.. Never know it was back there...

Now I know that with the next statement I will start another conversation. So in response to 'What's not to love' I will say an additional 700 lbs more than my Subaru. Based on listed curb weights. Jeep rubicon 4104lbs, Subaru Outback 3423lbs.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:13 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Now I know that with the next statement I will start another conversation. So in response to 'What's not to love' I will say an additional 700 lbs more than my Subaru. Based on listed curb weights. Jeep rubicon 4104lbs, Subaru Outback 3423lbs.

For us the Rubicon was the only choice as we go to Jeep Events during the year as well. Curb weight we didn't even look at for this reason. Will there be much savings in fuel economy with a 700# swing in curb weight - not sure! For us we love taking our Jeep, top down and doors off when we get to our destination (i.e. Myrtle Beach, Put-N-Bay, Bantam Jeep Fest).

Can a Subaru Outback be Flat Towed? I'll have to as my brother as he just bought a new one.

Best of luck in what every your decision may be..

2014 Georgetown 328 TSF
2012 Jayco Eagle Supe Lite 308 RETS (Seasonal Site)
2013 Jeep Rubicon with Mods..
Jmsx2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c