Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2014, 10:13 AM   #41

Remove rear DS...stupid spell correction LoL
rocktoad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:36 PM   #42

what do you tow with your class c

We tow a Chevy Tracker 01. We have towed it with 3 Mhs. Hardley know it is there.
Ohiosnowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:16 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by howzball View Post
Now if we ever figure out how to get this Blue Ox Patriot brake unit to work for more than 2 corners we'll be all set. It seems like it bounces around in the floorboard way too much and sends itself into error 8 land.

One time, when it applied the brake it pushed against the seat adjustment lever and shoved the seat back. I'm starting to think Blue Ox makes really great tow bars but not so great brake packages.
You may need to build a backboard for the Patriot to push against and strap it down so it won't rock when applying or retracting. When I tried to setup our Patriot, I found that the car's seat was so soft it would rock and roll, then shut down when it sensed too much tilt. Here's a photo of my solution. It slides under the seat and presses against a brace. I added the Velcro strap because it would sometimes tilt forward when it retracted the brake pedal and shut itself down. The strap goes through the carry handle. I painted the ends of the two straps to make it easier to find the black straps in low light.

The strap goes right across the braking force adjustment knob so I just took it off. I never use it anyway. I can adjust the braking force with the wireless controller from the river's seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue Ox with Backboard.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	67409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Backboard Velcro Attachment.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	67410  
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:24 PM   #44

smart car on the perfect size aluminum trailer. Don't even know it's back there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1418174619.901329.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	823.5 KB
ID:	67411  
ddorourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:07 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by howzball View Post
Towing an 05 Jeep Liberty 4x4 which is great because other than sticking the transfer case in neutral and having the wheel lock off it's easy breezy.

Now if we ever figure out how to get this Blue Ox Patriot brake unit to work for more than 2 corners we'll be all set. It seems like it bounces around in the floorboard way too much and sends itself into error 8 land.

One time, when it applied the brake it pushed against the seat adjustment lever and shoved the seat back. I'm starting to think Blue Ox makes really great tow bars but not so great brake packages.
We had a problem with our patriot braking too hard. DH reduced the sensitivity setting to 3 also after setting it up where it needs to be on the floor, and adjusting the seat where it needs to be, he took one of those straps with the ratchet on it, and wrapped it around the seat and the patriot and tightened it down. No problem since.
Frank & Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:24 PM   #46

ddorourke , do you have surge brakes on that trailer that your smart car is on?
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:33 PM   #47

Tow a 2004 Honda CRV, 4 wheels down, over 80K miles in 11 years
leftyneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:49 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrauts View Post
ddorourke , do you have surge brakes on that trailer that your smart car is on?

No I don't. Not needed until over 3000 pounds. But my trailer does have a 3000 pound axel.
ddorourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:59 PM   #49

We tow a 2014 Subaru Outback with absolutely no issues. It's great having an all wheel drive vehicle wherever we go.
CTMDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:28 AM   #50

Plan on towing a Honda Fit 2015 on an Eze-Tow dolly
Roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 12:43 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocktoad13 View Post
Nope...4x4, I remove the rear D's and leave front hubs unlocked, transmission in park and transfer case in 2wd...never even kno it's back there...

I'm not questioning you and only want to learn but why can't you just put the transfer case in neutral and not bother with the drive shaft? I have a 2014 Wrangler and that's how it's meant to be flat towed. I know there have been lots of changes but I know several folks with CJ's that do the same. I do love the Jeep. Fun to drive and easy to hook up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:31 PM   #52

Issue with towing a CJ-7 with a Dana 300 transfer case is that when you put it in neutral and don't disconnect the rear drive shaft the rear output bearing is not immersed in gear oil and only gets lubrication by the slinging of gear oil when the transfer case is in gear. I've seen multiple methods of flat towing a CJ-7 without disconnecting the rear drive shaft, none convince me that I won't be putting my transfer case at risk. It's easy enough (for me) to disconnect the rear drive shaft and secure it out of the way. I enjoy most any kind of wrenching.

I did flat tow my son's 2013 JK Wrangler to Atlanta earlier this year with no problems. It is true the new Jeep Wranglers are set up to flat tow easily.

Toad
Old 12-13-2014, 08:38 PM   #53

Toad thanks for the info. I learned something as usual. Is this stick? My original plan was to buy a used CJ but prices on one that hasn't been beat to heck are outrageous. We went to look at a clean 2012 and ended up buying a Sport for 1500 more. They hold there value better than anything I've seen. Plus did I mention I live driving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #54

My CJ-7 is an auto but it didn't start life that way (1984). It has a swapped in slightly built 360 with a TF999 automatic transmission. For me tho the process would be the same if it were a manual. I'd still disconnect the rear DS and leave the transmission in gear and transfer case in 2wd. With the rear DS disconnected and the front hubs unlocked none of the drive train is turning except the wheels/tires.

The newer JK's are more set up to flat tow without diconnecting anything with just the transfer case in neutral.

In case you can't tell I'm somewhat of a shade tree - particularly on Jeeps

Toad
Old 12-13-2014, 09:06 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMDP View Post
We tow a 2014 Subaru Outback with absolutely no issues. It's great having an all wheel drive vehicle wherever we go.

We also tow the 2014 Outback. Really easy, no hassle limits while towing after everything was setup.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:28 PM   #56

Jeep!

We use a 14 JK wrangler w/auto. What's not to love.....
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:33 PM   #57

Tow a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport.
Captain John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #58

We tow a 2013 Jeep Wrangler (JK) Rubicon 2 door.. Best flat tow vehicle out there for your coach.... Towed ours to Myrtle Beach from PA plus a few other trips.. Never know it was back there...
2018 Coachmen Chaparral 338 TSIK
2016 (Seasonal Site) Chariot Park Model
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
Jmsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:01 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmsx2 View Post
We tow a 2013 Jeep Wrangler (JK) Rubicon 2 door.. Best flat tow vehicle out there for your coach.... Towed ours to Myrtle Beach from PA plus a few other trips.. Never know it was back there...

Now I know that with the next statement I will start another conversation. So in response to 'What's not to love' I will say an additional 700 lbs more than my Subaru. Based on listed curb weights. Jeep rubicon 4104lbs, Subaru Outback 3423lbs.

Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:13 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Now I know that with the next statement I will start another conversation. So in response to 'What's not to love' I will say an additional 700 lbs more than my Subaru. Based on listed curb weights. Jeep rubicon 4104lbs, Subaru Outback 3423lbs.

For us the Rubicon was the only choice as we go to Jeep Events during the year as well. Curb weight we didn't even look at for this reason. Will there be much savings in fuel economy with a 700# swing in curb weight - not sure! For us we love taking our Jeep, top down and doors off when we get to our destination (i.e. Myrtle Beach, Put-N-Bay, Bantam Jeep Fest).

Can a Subaru Outback be Flat Towed? I'll have to as my brother as he just bought a new one.

Best of luck in what every your decision may be..
2018 Coachmen Chaparral 338 TSIK
2016 (Seasonal Site) Chariot Park Model
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
Jmsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c