Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2015, 01:57 PM   #1

What type and color Antifreeze to use

Hi Everyone and hope all of you have a great 2015 and happy travels.
I noticed I was a little low on antifreeze and I was wondering what type and color you all use. I have a a 2014 Sunseeker. Looked at mine and it looks light orange. Also I cannot find the radiator cap. Any help will be appreciated.
Bednarski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #2

I am guessing this for a ford v10 cooloing system. Color is really unimportant, look at the back of the oweners manual (or on line) for the spec. I would bet every item on the shelf will meet the manufacture requirment. For me as it is new I would go to the Ford store on Friday and buy their stuff, it will be three times the cost but I would rather not mix flavors until I changed it at 5/50.

It may not actially be low, some tanks measures full well below the midline of the tank due to expansion during running. Its good that you are getting up and close with your power plant. If it is a chevy 6.0 I can help.
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:52 AM   #3

Antifreeze would be added to the expansion tank on most vehicles. There is no "radiator" cap. If you can see that the level is low, you are looking at the expansion tank, which should have a cap on it. As always, do not remove if hot. Remove slowly as system is under pressure.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 01-03-2015, 04:02 PM   #4

You must use the correct antifreeze. All antifreezes are not compatible. Check your Owner's Manual. Our year model 2010 Ford recommends:

"Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant with Bittering Agent (yellow-colored)"

The color is just for identification, but the chemistry is specific. Most major brands have equivalents available at most auto parts stores, and maybe Wal-Mart, etc., but be sure it meets the Ford specification. The engine has aluminum components and must have the correct anti-corrosion additives.

Also, use distilled water instead of tap water if you dilute it. That way you don't introduce chlorine or other stuff which aluminum does not like.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antifreeze