Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2018, 09:28 AM   #21

Install water heater adjustable thermostat- just ordered one.
Also- refrigerator adjustable thermistor (already did that)
Old 06-18-2018, 09:30 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by retireearly View Post
I would wash and wax the rig completely. This will make it much easier to clean going forward, I had to clay bar the entire rig to get all the crud off after only one year in the weather. However, the most important reason to do this is to find any leaks or defects. I found where exterior lights had been installed below the hole drilled through the wall.. I could see into the wall from outside, but it wasn't apparent standing on the ground. I also found busted fiberglass around my marker lights and a dent in the hood. Next time I may hand wash the rig BEFORE I buy it and say.. hey look what I found.

My stuff is almost always clean and detailed. I find most of my issues when I am cleaning the RV and any other vehicle as you stated.

Clean first, fix any issues and then the cover goes on till the next use.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:03 PM   #23

Rear led pods! Backing up is tuff at night. But it’s much worse with the oem back up lights. I got a set of $20 led pods off amazon and wired them up to the oem reverse lights. They work great!
Toytec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:10 PM   #24

Hows about a pic of those rear light pods. Interested in how they mounted up..
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:37 PM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
Install water heater adjustable thermostat- just ordered one.
Also- refrigerator adjustable thermistor (already did that)
Must be an Atwood, don't think they make one for Suburban heaters.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:33 PM   #26

A temp controller may be needed with kids for prevention, but with such a moderate sized HW tank I like as much temp as we can get to stretch the shower time. We do miss the tankless at the house, but not enough to be propane only in the coach.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:41 PM   #27

My Atwood water heater gets too hot. May have a bad thermostat.
Blows out the pressure relief valve all the time.
Also overheated my 12 v pump once.

Decided to get an adjustable one to suit my needs.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:45 PM   #28
Wait till next year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Must be an Atwood, don't think they make one for Suburban heaters.
Yup Atwood HW heater and added single lever shower valve to make it easier to control water temp. Did this second year, felt like a lobster showering first year
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:12 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by n-e-d View Post
Yup Atwood HW heater and added single lever shower valve to make it easier to control water temp. Did this second year, felt like a lobster showering first year

I may do that next
Old 06-21-2018, 07:40 PM   #30

QUOTE***Let me start with eternabond tape on the roof seams. We did it last year and it would have take well less than half as long to do on a new roof with fresh dicor.

Please educate me on which tape your purchased. I found several different ones. Which seams did you tape?
ijensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:25 PM   #31

Day one

This list represents about $4k and hours of work on a 26.5’ Springdale without slides. If you don’t boondock you can save about $1k.

Real mattress
Shelves in hanging locker by bed (our TT has a large hanging locker so the shelving is a better use of this space)
Bedroom TV shelf gone
Coat hooks on wall at foot of bead
HD gas struts to lift fully made bed
Light & heat pad for bedroom and bath vents

Oxygenics is shower head
Larger medicine cabinet with secure latch
Towel racks in bath (ours is a dual bar)
Toilet paper holder in bath (ours is vertical mount post style up by the sink so it is easily accesable and the TP cannot come off during travel.)
Drying rods in shower (expandable rods fit nicely above shower walls)
Titanium white Velcro mounted skylight cover
Fantastic fan (I think these are over rated and expensive and we will select another option on our next TT)

Wall mounted knife rack (ours is a 1.5” stainless box that I cut a styrofoam insert so the knives would ne secure while traveling)
Marine locking latches on all cabinets so the cabinets cannot open while traveling
Wall mounted flat screen 1080p TV (also doubles as computer monitor)
Mac Mini mounted on wall near TV (use Apple wireless keyboard and mouse for use from dinette or couch. Audio wired into TT speakers. Has lots of music and movies loaded on a 1tb HD)
WiFi extender with outside antenna (mounted to TV antenna with coax taped to roof)

Extra USB ports by 12vdc plug
Grab handle inside door
Three coat hooks mounted on the cabinet by the door
Footman loops mounted by the door to strap in walking sticks and umbrellas
Flashlight clips mounted on top of window valences.

High quality water filter from fresh H2O tank (your Camco filter only filters orders etc. It is activated charcoal, not a filter for particulates or pathogens.)

Digital thermostat
LED lights everywhere, in & out
3kw inverter in basement & plug into 120 AC power
25’ quick disconnect gas line for BBQ grill
Electric young jack
Outdoor shower enclosure if you boondock to minimize the use of the gray water holding tank.
Four Optima 6vdc batteries if you boondock to drive the 3kw inverter (heavy, so mount in basement to lower their effect on young weight)
Inverter generator for boondocking
Battery shutoff for storage
Vent covers (one has to be for the Fantistic fan tin the bath
Bike rack (ours is mounted very wide for our tandem and leaves the spare tire in its original position)
Insulated reflective cut outs that mount under the pull down shades to keep the TT cooler or warmer depending on the weather.
nrkmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:44 AM   #32

Someone mentioned wash and wax, but I did wash and paint sealant. Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze. Goes on super easy and the slight haze comes off even easier - both much easier than waxing (I used microfiber cloths). Paint still looks brand new a year later and have only had to wash twice (to remove bugs; dust and dirt really don't stick to it).
a2badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:20 AM   #33
Site Team

I forgot to add a really big one... I added two additional fire extinguishers, Kidde Model Pro 110 1-A:10-B:C rated units. One is the bedroom and the other is behind the drivers seat.

I also added a Kidde Carbon Monoxide detector, Model C3010D, mounted up high in the bedroom hallway.

I hope we never need them but if we do it will be the best mod I ever made...

EDIT: I also carry the same fire extinguisher in our TOAD...
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:16 AM   #34

The very first thing we did was to undercoat virtually every piece of metal under the coach (except the heat shields and the exhaust system). That included the front wheel wells of the Class C, the backside of the front bumper, chassis, and all of the structural framing for the coach. The trailer hitch was coated with spray-on truck bed liner material. Three years later, it still looks new.

I learned a lesson early in the process of looking for a MH. I crawled under a two-year old coach and was amazed at how rusty the underside was. Great looking coach that was well maintained on the top side. Would have bought it until looking underneath.

The problem is that when the metal structure is added to the chassis before the coach body is added is all bare metal. There is no added step to prevent the metal from rusting. It then sits exposed to the elements waiting for the body to be added. We were lucky that ours did not have a head start. There are products that will neutralize the rust if needed.

If you choose to do this, you will need full face protection, disposable clothes, a tarp to catch the dripping, and good ventilation. I used Rustoleum rubberized undercoat and Rustoleum spray-on bed liner coating, and mineral spirits for clean up purchased at Walmart. DIY was about $100 very well spent.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:02 PM   #35
The Driver

Protectant spray

We have to keep ours outside, not covered. Brutal summers in East Texas. I spray all the outside with a UV protectant ever so often. My preference is 303 aerospace.
PoppySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:34 PM   #36

Hey nrkmann, what would you go to instead of the fantastic fan?

Also be aware that there was a massive kidde fire ext recall, units li,e ours....
Old 06-28-2018, 05:36 PM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post
Also be aware that there was a massive kidde fire ext recall, units li,e ours....
Our new fire extinguishers are the ones Kidde sent us due to the recall. They handled that recall very well...
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:03 PM   #38

RV Armor, day one.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 03:29 PM   #39

Quote:
Hows about a pic of those rear light pods. Interested in how they mounted up..

I will get a pic for you next time I’m at the camper. But I just bolted them on top of the rear bumper at the ends of it. I am thinking about getting some flush mount ones and putting them in just to clean up the look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2018, 10:43 PM   #40

Quote:
Being four some years into our first coach there have been a few things I wish that I would have done on day one. Not upgrades but items that are compounded by delay. This post (expanded by ya'll) could help some newbies like we were in considering a priority list.

Let me start with eternabond tape on the roof seams. We did it last year and it would have take well less than half as long to do on a new roof with fresh dicor.

Not for everyone, but waiting four years to retire the wheel simulators and going to painted rims with center caps required greater prep to repair scars then when the coach was new.

What ya'll got to add?

So I read this last week after having already loosing on sim and I’m thinking this is a good idea. Just got back from a trip and had a blow out, 1/4 mile after watching a second sim go bouncing down the road. Upon further inspection of the blow out, I find the valve stem is chipped and the core is gone from the valve stem. When the sim came off it chipped the metal valve stem and on the first bump after that the valve stem core shot out and dumped all the air and destroyed the tire in two seconds Needles to say I’m buying the lug nut covers and ditching the sims forever. I had a spare tire and the leveling jacks made changing the tire so easy. But still wasted time and could have been much worse from a safety or damage stand point. After the “blow out” all I could think about was I sure wish I had ditched the sims and gotten the lug nut cover sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
saunseeker, sunseeker