Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2018, 11:35 AM   #1

What would I now do on day one

Being four some years into our first coach there have been a few things I wish that I would have done on day one. Not upgrades but items that are compounded by delay. This post (expanded by ya'll) could help some newbies like we were in considering a priority list.

Let me start with eternabond tape on the roof seams. We did it last year and it would have take well less than half as long to do on a new roof with fresh dicor.

Not for everyone, but waiting four years to retire the wheel simulators and going to painted rims with center caps required greater prep to repair scars then when the coach was new.

What ya'll got to add?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180609_121356.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	175201  
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:58 AM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Well I guess I’m not on day one officially however we have not left on our first trip yet. So if you peek at my tome named 2800QS mods, feel free to consided that as a response to what I would do on day one with the caveat that I’m slow and it took me 4 months to finish my day one projects. As for the wheel simulators, that looks like something the folks with bowties would like. I have not seen Ovals with dog dishes yet.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:59 AM   #3

Totally agree on both your ideas.
Within one week of getting our Lexi in 2013 I did the entire Eternabond/seam thing. 5 years now and never a leak.
Got rid of the simulators 4 years ago, pain in the arse. Only problem is as much as I've searched I cannot locate a set of simple hub covers/center caps like yours, except for the Ford E-450 platform. Fronts aren't a problem, but the rear duallys...no luck.
If anyone knows what will fit a Ford, speak up!!!
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:10 PM   #4

hubs

I got them at
https://www.hubcaphaven.com
worth a call..
Old 06-09-2018, 07:33 PM   #5
Bene Gesserit Rule

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, sometimes. At other times it causes a world of pain and regret.

If I had known on day one - the day I handed over the cheque, I would have realised that from the moment he introduced himself at his home (where the 5'ers were) I recognised the arrogance and 'used car salesman' attitude of a guy selling $100,000 rigs from his front yard (albeit a 100 acre property) and walked away. I should have said, 'yes this looks good and is what we want' then returned home and done a lot more research.

I would have still finished up with something and probably the same rig I bought, but I would also have done a lot more work in ensuring I would get warranty support from him. I would also not have been pressured into putting an outrageous deposit on a tow vehicle, that I eventually let go, with the loss of 50% of the deposit. That was 2.5 years and mountainous amounts of money ago.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:37 PM   #6
Certified Curmudgeon

The Kwisatz Haderach you are not.
Old 06-09-2018, 07:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post
I got them at

https://www.hubcaphaven.com

worth a call..

Since they do not list e450 chassis, did you use f450 caps?
sask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:34 PM   #8
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask View Post
Since they do not list e450 chassis, did you use f450 caps?
He has a Chevy!
Old 06-09-2018, 09:10 PM   #9

For those looking for genuine Chevy center caps, here is where I got mine for less than $20.00: https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-DUALL...25.m3641.l6368

One of the best things I did to our rig early on was to hinge the piece of plywood at the foot of the bed platform. No more peeking through a tiny port to see what's going on down there. We had a leak when the caulk at the top of the water heater cover failed. Clean up was easy on the road with that big gaping hole for access.

Part two of that mod was the addition of a moisture sensor which alerted me to the leak before any damage could occur.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell
SS Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
He has a Chevy!
LOL... I lost track of the thread and stepped in dodo.

Thanks for the reality check 8)
Old 06-10-2018, 12:34 AM   #11

* edit * had posted info re rickson wheels but then removed post due to poor reviews...
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2018, 03:03 AM   #12
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
The Kwisatz Haderach you are not.
Call me Gurney Halleck, really good after the fact.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:52 AM   #13
Wait till next year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Cruiser View Post

One of the best things I did to our rig early on was to hinge the piece of plywood at the foot of the bed platform. No more peeking through a tiny port to see what's going on down there. We had a leak when the caulk at the top of the water heater cover failed. Clean up was easy on the road with that big gaping hole for access.

Part two of that mod was the addition of a moisture sensor which alerted me to the leak before any damage could occur.
Besides adding the screen door cross bar,piano hinge on plywood deck made getting to systems there easy
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:58 AM   #14

Just go ahead bite the bullet and put some interstate batteries in the thing and sell the OEMs on Craig’s list or to a used Camper salesman
I don’t know what they are putting in them now but 4years ago the junk batteries caused me mountains of head aches
I assumed they were good
Hell,they were new
Also change out the cheap supply lines on your outside shower
Mine were accessible with the bathroom vanity drawers pulled out
They will eventually split and flood your unit
Thank Goodness It happened right when we came in for the night
Looked at each other and said
That water running noise is NOT Normal
Still had a mess cause it took 5min to figure out where it was coming from[emoji51]
I got nice braided ones at Lowe’s
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:26 PM   #15
2012 Solera

#1. Check tire pressure. Take corrective action on valve stems and extensions.

#2. I held off on modifying the bathroom walls for concerns about effecting warranty. Much happier with the Motorhome after I just went ahead and modified as we wanted.

#3. Go directly to a dedicated RV repair place (skip the dealer) for any work I can't do myself. Dealer warranty work too much hastle with little success - not worth the effort.

#4. Spend time with the Mercedes manual and related websites to better understand and be prepared for "surprise " dash warning lights (stability control, DEF, etc). Try to avoid the surprise light - pull to shoulder - search manual sequence.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:05 PM   #16

Day one, I was too uninformed to know anything. What I would do different, I would have tried to order one WITHOUT the sky light over the tub. No problems, just do not like it.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:27 PM   #17

X2 on hinge for under bed access and swap out ext shower lines (with cutoffs inside the coach and a new facuet). Also just installed a dome HD attenna, cant say replaced as we heard some flapping noise on I 65 up from I 10 then it stopped, when we pulled over the bat wing must have flew off to returned to it's original nest. No review on the razor 6000 replacement yet, but an easy replacement with a fein or clone tool to cut the 5 lbs of factory sealant..
Old 06-12-2018, 01:58 PM   #18
Site Team

Today, Day T-3 as we don't do our PDI and paperwork until Friday , I'm having DuallyValves Stainless One Piece valve stems installed. The plastic valve extenders FR uses have caused me to have two flat tires...both inner duals. The DL1FC Ford kit eliminate all the the valve extensions and provide a solid mount for our TST 507 TPMS sensors.

Our dealer has already also installed a Dometic 320 toilet, MaxxAir MaxFan Deluxe 7500K in the bedroom, and a Progressive EMS-HW30C Surge / Electrical Protector.

That is our Day One list completed before we pull off the lot. Now I won't need to go back and add things I know we'll want anyway piecemeal later on... After a couple previous Sunseekers I think I have this almost figured out...
Old 06-18-2018, 07:08 AM   #19

I don’t have time to reread all the comments but two other treads reminded me
ASAP put Roof vent covers over all your roof vents
It’s an easy job I did myself when I bought the camper
They are a must have item
For rain protection and to keep your vent covers from cracking prematurely
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:56 AM   #20

I would wash and wax the rig completely. This will make it much easier to clean going forward, I had to clay bar the entire rig to get all the crud off after only one year in the weather. However, the most important reason to do this is to find any leaks or defects. I found where exterior lights had been installed below the hole drilled through the wall.. I could see into the wall from outside, but it wasn't apparent standing on the ground. I also found busted fiberglass around my marker lights and a dent in the hood. Next time I may hand wash the rig BEFORE I buy it and say.. hey look what I found.
retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
saunseeker, sunseeker