Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #1

Whats the best way to improve the ride?

Hello everyone, I just purchased a 2011 Sunseeker 3120. Me and my wife love it, except for the rough ride. It also seems to wander going down the road. One of my rv friends says I should add air bags. Another friend says no, add the morryde suspension. Any one have any experience with these? Thanks a bunch! Randy
Randy P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #2

Start by checking air pressure in tires and adjust to recommended psi found on drivers door frame (yellow sticker from Forest River). Many have reported that Fords need a good front end alignment to improve control. Your unit likely has Firestone air bags. Adjustments can be made by adding or removing air. Valves are inside storage compartment on each side just in front of wheels. Any amount from 10 to 100 psi. Try different amounts. You want at least enough so rear is level from left to right and slightly higher in rear than front.

Ride will also change depending on how loaded. I travel with water in fresh water tank because I like the ride better. It sits over rear axle and seems to add stability. Don't be afraid to experiment a little before you run out and buy aftermarket add ons.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #3

Thanks for the info..no air bags on this rig. Are air bags normally used? Are they worth the cost
Randy P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy P View Post
Thanks for the info..no air bags on this rig. Are air bags normally used? Are they worth the cost
Yes they are worth it when it comes to control but they are not going to make it smoother.

Not sure how to get rid of the rough ride. I have 600 pounds of tongue weight behind ours and it still rides like a lumber wagon.

If you really want to eliminate any control issues, get the air bags and look into the Blue-Ox Tru Center steering stabilizer.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:07 AM   #5

the steering stabilizer is a must on the ford class c. you will be amazed at the difference. i have used the roadmaster stabilizer on a 1998 jayco 28 ft and also on my 2011 3170ds i have now and am very happy with it. you might find that once you have steering control the ride might not seem so bad.
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
Commercial Member

1. Get an alignment. We have found that with the Ford chassis the unit will settle over the first couple thousand miles. Definitely get that done. You can search the forum for alignment specs....we have a rental company that dialed in a very precise alignment spec with their local shop...it was worked really well for them (tighter tolerance than the Ford specs).

2. If you don't do the Firestone Ride Rite air bags (that are now standard), I would recommend this...
EZ Cruise Suspension Enhancement

This is a really nice system as well. Not as user adjustable...but handles the sway better than the air bags. The air bags are nice because you can customize them...these are more fire and forget.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
Plain Old Member

Guess we're lucky. 4400 miles and still driving straight, handling good, and sooooo much better than a F53 chassis. Air bags are definitely worth it. If you want to go all out, do the full air ride suspension. Several companies out there that do it for the E-450. I was considering, but not worth the money for the amount of time we keep a unit.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote