Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2016, 09:50 AM   #21

Check with the Autonation Ford just south on Rt 41... I asked them if they could do a change on My SunSeeker (parked 3 spaces from you) and the said they could. But give it a check first... Mike
mike1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:53 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1230 View Post
Check with the Autonation Ford just south on Rt 41... I asked them if they could do a change on My SunSeeker (parked 3 spaces from you) and the said they could. But give it a check first... Mike
Thanks, I have already done that and they said they could. I haven't actually taken it in yet. I am going out in it this weekend and taking a bigger 1/2" socket wrench and 6pt socket to see if I can break it loose and do it myself. My fall back will be AutoNation. I will report back if I go there and they can do it.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:06 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
First oil change this weekend. (my driveway)
Switching to Mobil 1 (Chevy 6 liter)
I do all my own changes- every 5k.
Easy peasy- no worries of some monkey screwing it up.
x2
Old 04-21-2016, 11:19 AM   #24

Quote:
First oil change this weekend. (my driveway)
Switching to Mobil 1 (Chevy 6 liter)
I do all my own changes- every 5k.
Easy peasy- no worries of some monkey screwing it up.
I followed your lead and did it myself in the driveway. Also Mobil 1. If we keep receipts for the oil and filter, the Ford warranty won't be an issue will it?
2018 Camping 10 trips 38 nights
2019 Camping 6 trips 19 nights
2020 Camping 0 trips Cancellations 6
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:57 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
If we keep receipts for the oil and filter, the Ford warranty won't be an issue will it?
I forget the name of the law, but it is illegal for manufacturers to require you to get service just from them. That being said, I have never made a claim to test that theory. But I have always done a lot of my own service, wrote the date and miles on the receipt and filed it.

Found the law:
Magnuson Moss Warranty Act
Old 04-21-2016, 12:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacklem View Post
I keep that posted on my desktop for work.
I get that all the time- "This or that will void the warranty"

This law may change in the future as electronics and computer sophistication continues to get more complex on vehicles that manufacturers will use proprietary software. This is already showing up on high end vehicles. Eventually it will trickle down to everything.
Then you will be tied to the "dealer" network...many of whom don't know how to fix these cars either. No competition will be a huge loss for the consumer.

We need to quit demanding more and more "gadgets" in vehicles and the govt needs to quit demanding more "safety" items in cars or we will doom ourselves to be at someones mercy.
Seems to be the way the world is going...almost a freight train that cannot be stopped...or even slowed.
AI will change us...if not doom us.

Where are the most problems with RV's today?
In the electronics and modules that and ever increasing and often times drive us nuts.
Why can't I get a hand crank slideout?
Old 04-21-2016, 12:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
Don't use a rachit get a good breaker bar and put a 4 foot piece of pipe on it (don't get it at harbor fright ) if you want to have skin left on your fingers
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:17 AM   #28
Previous Member

Try Wal-Mart thy have changed our Motor Home for the last 3 years. Some can not get it inside because of door height but have gone underneath on a small dolly outside . just try some will others will not go early in the morning before they get to much ahead of you. And it depends how you ask and tell them of your problems . you will find the cost $$$ very low and ask for the best grade oil filter .
allan kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:36 AM   #29

You have gotten lots of good advice already. I would not be going back to wherever you you got it changed last time. If the drain plug is that tight, it is very close to stripping the threads. The oil filter is probably on too tight as well.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:35 PM   #30

Thanks everyone. I went camping this weekend and took my 1/2" socket wrench and a 6 pt socket and the drain plug broke loose pretty easily with that combo. I have done many oil changes in my life and have never used more than a 3/8" socket wrench. So I will be doing the oil change next weekend and hoping the filter isn't as tight as the drain plug.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:12 PM   #31

Quote:
I keep that posted on my desktop for work.
I get that all the time- "This or that will void the warranty"

This law may change in the future as electronics and computer sophistication continues to get more complex on vehicles that manufacturers will use proprietary software. This is already showing up on high end vehicles. Eventually it will trickle down to everything.
Then you will be tied to the "dealer" network...many of whom don't know how to fix these cars either. No competition will be a huge loss for the consumer.

We need to quit demanding more and more "gadgets" in vehicles and the govt needs to quit demanding more "safety" items in cars or we will doom ourselves to be at someones mercy.
Seems to be the way the world is going...almost a freight train that cannot be stopped...or even slowed.
AI will change us...if not doom us.

Where are the most problems with RV's today?
In the electronics and modules that and ever increasing and often times drive us nuts.
Why can't I get a hand crank slideout?
X2

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:13 PM   #32

Technology not Gov. intervention has made the average (new) vehicle capable of 125/150k with no major issues and minimal regular maintenance. RVs on the other hand are thrown together pieces of ??. The customer does not have to go to the dealer to have their vehicle repaired/diagnosis after the warranty has expired. AC Delco/Motorcraft/Mopar ect have evening classes (through their aftermarket) distribution centers to teach what is new in regards to up dates for the private auto repair shops to learn more about what is new and what CD updates are available for those using computer programs.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:42 AM   #33

We just use the wonderful locally independent owners of our local oil/lube/repair shop. The bay's aren't tall enough, but we pull up to the bay door and they bring stuff out. It works great. We just love them.

Bob, Diane & Snoopy
2018 3050s Sunseeker
Santabobswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:10 PM   #34

Competition

It wasn't government that made Detroit wake up, it was competition.
If only the japanese or germans would start making RVs.

Now, back to the subject. I was in a rush once, and had Jiffy Lube change my oil for me. They cross threaded the bolt, and it leaked forever after. I've always done them myself since then. They tend to forget to put the washers back too. It is hard to find good help apparently.
mnoland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:28 PM   #35

I was able to get the oil changed myself today. I used a 1/2" socket wrench to break the drain plug loose at camp last weekend. I was worried the filter would be overly tight but it wasn't. So an hour or so and I had the change complete. I used Mobil 1 5w20 full synthetic if anyone is curious.