Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2016, 03:38 PM   #1

Where to get oil changed?

I went to my storage lot today to change the oil on my RV and could not break the drain plug loose with a 3/8" socket wrench. I will try my 1/2" wrench next weekend. But if I can't get it loose, where can I get the oil changed? I checked the nearest Camping World and they only do it during the week and close at 5 pm so it is nearly impossible for me to get there. I checked the closest Ford dealer and they can't do it.

I found a TA place just a few miles up the interstate, has anyone ever used a truck center for oil changes? Will they do it? Do they charge more than RV places?
Old 04-16-2016, 03:53 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacklem View Post
I went to my storage lot today to change the oil on my RV and could not break the drain plug loose with a 3/8" socket wrench. I will try my 1/2" wrench next weekend. But if I can't get it loose, where can I get the oil changed? I checked the nearest Camping World and they only do it during the week and close at 5 pm so it is nearly impossible for me to get there. I checked the closest Ford dealer and they can't do it.

I found a TA place just a few miles up the interstate, has anyone ever used a truck center for oil changes? Will they do it? Do they charge more than RV places?
A service center will use a 1/2" breaker bar with a 6 point socket. You should use the same. IF the threads strip, which I doubt will happen, auto parts stores sell oversize self threading drain plugs.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 04:07 PM   #3

I would call the local truck centers.

Kenworth, Peterbilt and Freightliner and ask them, some of the FL places do the MH's with a FL chassis so they might do it for yours.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:22 PM   #4

Quote:

1/2" ratchet should give you enough leverage to break it free. Make sure you set the ratchet in the counter clockwise direction, before you get under the unit to loosen the drain bolt. It won't snap off.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:34 AM   #5

Check your local service stations. Most service bays will accommodate a Class C MH.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:14 PM   #6

I used Freightliner or Cummins shops cheaper and they know what there doing.
selkirk awards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:38 PM   #7

Quote:

I use a local lube place, after checking all the other ones in town only one had a 14' door. Some had 12' my class c is 11'6" but if there is any slope going in or coming out the door is not tall enough.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:13 PM   #8

My local Ford dealer about 1 mile from where we live will not change the oil on our 3010DS but I found another Ford dealer about 15 miles away that will. I also checked the 3 local auto repair facilities and only 1 of the 3 stated they could do the oil change but at least that gives me 2 options between the Ford dealer and the local auto repair shop.
lucky55616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:24 PM   #9

Our Ford dealer will do it because it is on the Ford chassis.

2015 Georgetown 270S, 2014 Ford C-Max Hybrid, Roadmaster Falcon All-Terrain Tow bar
PHP Code:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC
quiltedtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:03 PM   #10

Don't use a rachit get a good breaker bar and put a 4 foot piece of pipe on it (don't get it at harbor fright ) if you want to have skin left on your fingers
Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:08 PM   #11

Torque on a drain plug is 20ft lbs shouldn't need a 4 foot bar, tap it with the heel of your palm works for me every time.
gmclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:00 PM   #12

After you get the drain plug out, put a Fumoto valve in place of the plug. (Google fumoto)
I've had them on all of the truck and RVs that I have owned without a problem.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:07 PM   #13

X2 on the Fumoto. Use them on all of my vehicles.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:31 PM   #14
Retired Ford Tech

The drain plug is 16mm. When I was working, I was amazes at the GORILLAS that tighten this plug. It has an O ring gasket that doesn't need King Kong to tighten it. I put the Fomuto on my Georgetown and a 3/8 hose fits over the nipple and drain it into a Kitty Litter container( we have 3 cats). They hold 2 gallon, which is plenty. After the oil is drained, get an awl and punch a hole in the bottom of the filter. Loosen it up slightly before you punch it. Let it drain into the container, then get a few Walmart bags to catch the filter in, and your done.
rvpezzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
Don't use a rachit get a good breaker bar and put a 4 foot piece of pipe on it (don't get it at harbor fright ) if you want to have skin left on your fingers
X2

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:11 PM   #16

I've got an appointment Friday at a local Freightliner, my regular garage couldn't do it.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:15 PM   #17

I take my Leperchaun to my local Ford dealer, and they take good care of me and the cost for an oil change and service was very reasonable. Maybe $39 or so. No way will I do my own when I get good service for so little.
Bob Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvpezzano View Post
The drain plug is 16mm. When I was working, I was amazes at the GORILLAS that tighten this plug. It has an O ring gasket that doesn't need King Kong to tighten it. I put the Fomuto on my Georgetown and a 3/8 hose fits over the nipple and drain it into a Kitty Litter container( we have 3 cats). They hold 2 gallon, which is plenty. After the oil is drained, get an awl and punch a hole in the bottom of the filter. Loosen it up slightly before you punch it. Let it drain into the container, then get a few Walmart bags to catch the filter in, and your done.
Which model Fumoto drain plug would I use on the Ford E450?

BTW, like the idea of punching a hole in the bottom of the filter. I'm going to do that next time I change my oil.
biznsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:17 AM   #19

F106, F106n, or F106s
http://www.fumotousa.com
rsscully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:58 AM   #20

First oil change this weekend. (my driveway)
Switching to Mobil 1 (Chevy 6 liter)
I do all my own changes- every 5k.
Easy peasy- no worries of some monkey screwing it up.