Old 10-18-2014, 10:44 AM   #31

This is my third year with a cover only had one time that I had to brush the snow off because of a heavy snow fall. If I had the room I'd build a RV port or garage for it, but I don't so will continue to use a cover during the Winter.

hkreck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:47 AM   #32

No cover here because of the wind here as well.
Never seen a dealer who covers the units in the lot.
The idea of frozen cloth wind wiping the composite walls of my FW bothers me.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #33

Dealers don't cover because the deterioration is not that great over the winter months. Sunlight and warm moisture cause the most damage cosmetically. Ever heard a salesman talk about "lot rot" on left over units?

IMO leaving a unit uncovered through the winter will cause less deterioration than over the summer.

I am a strong proponent of pole buildings to store RVs. If you have the space, a pole building is at most 15% of the original cost of the RV so I think it is well worth it. You don't have to worry about sun, hail, wind, rain, dust, moisture, security, excessive heat buildup, etc and it stays as clean as when you put it in.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:56 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

We really wanted to buy a cover of our new Rockwood but talked to a couple of folks here who've had RV's for years and they both said that the winds we get from the mountains end up tearing the covers to shreds within a year. They, also, said covers can move around in the wind and will rub the finish off anything.

So we just cover all our wheels and will be buying some awning covers. (And I noticed the awning covers warned not to use underneath an RV cover because the sun can generate too much heat underneath there.)

I would like to find something to cover up some things on my roof...like the plastic cover on the A/C and the vents. (I've had hail damage in my other trailer on those things.)
6-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 06:15 PM   #35

Who uses an rv cover for snow protection?

Thanks about vents openable/ closed!
Old 10-30-2014, 02:39 PM   #36

We got a cover with purchase and now I'm not so sure if we should use it, especially if it gets as cold and windy as last year. It will be like ice slapping against the Sunseeker.

Nights camped in 2011/36, 2012/9, 2013/24, 2014/27; 2015/50 2016: 34
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:14 PM   #37
Take The Road Less Travld

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeytownmom View Post
We got a cover with purchase and now I'm not so sure if we should use it, especially if it gets as cold and windy as last year. It will be like ice slapping against the Sunseeker.
We don't get a lot of wind, but my biggest concern is the expanding and retracting of joints creating leaks during the cold winter months. I had a popup trailer that I had not had issues with in the spring due to covering, then one year I didn't cover it and the seals on the roof were pushed out, water was getting in through joints and mold was a big issue.

In Ohio, we get 50 degree days and 10 degree nights, so water melting during the day getting into the smallest areas possible create havoc when the sun goes down and it freezes. then the next day, it melts and starts all over again. I will never again go without putting a cover on my trailer through the winter.
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:31 PM   #38
Take The Road Less Travld

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post
Dealers don't cover because the deterioration is not that great over the winter months. Sunlight and warm moisture cause the most damage cosmetically. Ever heard a salesman talk about "lot rot" on left over units?

IMO leaving a unit uncovered through the winter will cause less deterioration than over the summer.

I am a strong proponent of pole buildings to store RVs. If you have the space, a pole building is at most 15% of the original cost of the RV so I think it is well worth it. You don't have to worry about sun, hail, wind, rain, dust, moisture, security, excessive heat buildup, etc and it stays as clean as when you put it in.
I completely agree with this....I just don't have the room
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:50 PM   #39

I never covered our PUP or HTT, so this covering stuff is new.

Nights camped in 2011/36, 2012/9, 2013/24, 2014/27; 2015/50 2016: 34
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:29 PM   #40

My suggestion is try it. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to make an accurate assessment based on opinions. I'm the type of person that wants to see it with my own eyes, good or bad.