Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2015, 09:59 PM   #21

We were in Lancaster for our trip, (shopping outlets) 😕, although Hershey was an option, where did you stay?
Old 12-17-2015, 05:07 AM   #22

Bought our 2013 3170DS in 2012 at a show. Had 2 travel trailers prior to that. Family of five. This unit was by far the best fit in terms of value, space (9 seatbelts), dedicated sleeping space, etc, etc. Used to tow a Honda minivan behind the 3170 using an Acme Tow Dolly, including on a trip from Oklahoma to Alaska. Now we tow other things....Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1450346869.870731.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	96329

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Jstonecfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:21 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTRVing View Post
We were in Lancaster for our trip, (shopping outlets) 😕, although Hershey was an option, where did you stay?
Hershey Campground it us to be called Hershey High Meadow but was bought by Hershey Park a few years ago. We camp a lot in the Lancaster area.
Old 12-26-2020, 07:18 PM   #24

Why we like our 3170DS

I was rummaging through the forum and run across this thread from 2015. I thought I would resurrect the thread by posting an update on our 2014 3170 and some of our adventures.

We still have out 3170 and still enjoy it. We retired In 2018 and enjoyed our selves. We currently have 30k miles on the unit.
First, I will say we have had few issues with our unit. We had to have the couch slide gearbox repaired. We are still using the same appliances.
We have had a couple of hard to find leaks but the shop we use did a sealtech air test and repaired the small leak. No more issues. We have had no separation of front cap to roof as I have read from other forums.

2017 replaced all tires after experiencing 2 tire issues.
Before retirement we were confined by 2-3 weeks vacation with numerous weekends scattered around the year. You guys know the drill.

Since retirement in 2018 we have done the northeast New England states, enjoying ourselves for 5 months. Sc,NC,VA,PA,NY,NH,VT,MA,MA, meeting a lot of folks and making friends we keep in touch with.
2019 we went to the Rockies 6 months, enjoying the transit across the US, taking in some the the best scenery and National Parks this country has to offer. We were just wide eyed going across the Great Plains of SD, up to Glacier NP, down to the Gunnison, over to Moab, down to Durango for Mesa Verda NP, Silverton Train, well you guys get it.
Our Sunseeker 3170 never let us down, that V10 just pulled us up and down pulling our toad with ease and we always felt safe on the down hill.
This year 2020 we were restricted. We were planning for the OHIO and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and moseying over to Canada and head east to PE and back into the New England states. Maybe 2021.
I have made a few upgrades and replaced a few items as we all have.
So speak up and let us know if you still own your 3170, still like it, traded it and the reason. Good and the bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8998.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	351.5 KB
ID:	245071   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2294.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	374.5 KB
ID:	245072   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8007.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	382.6 KB
ID:	245073   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7817.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	245074  
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 03:39 PM   #25

We have a 2013 Sunseeker 3170DS we purchased in 2012. We purchased because of manufacturer - owned by Berkshire Hathaway - quality, and floor model as we have 4 kids. We have averaged about 30 nights per year and took a trip out west from Florida. We have had a few issues but Forest River took care of issues even though it was out of warranty. No modifications. We flat tow a Jeep Grand Cherokee with Blue Ox plate and tow bar. Does a great job!

We decided this fall to change to the Class A bunkhouse and stayed with Forest River with the Georgetown. We should take delivery in late January or early February. Lots of reasons for the change but still extremely happy with the 3170DS.
Cmitchell40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 03:18 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by budblack View Post
I felt like I needed to send this post because of our appreciation for the Sunseeker 3170 DS. Posters have talked about why they like their particular Sunseeker models. This is why we would not trade our 3170. We have four grandchildren, two most of the time, and four from time to time. We use the RV both for traveling from place to place and also for staying at place to place.

First, there is no service on the 3170 which I cannot perform myself. New tires cost less than a third of a class A.

We slept nine in the RV in Arizona at the Grand Canyon and in Las Vegas; two in the rear bed, two in the overhead bunk, two on the dinette, two in the bunks, and one on the pullout couch.

Head worked fine, shower worked fine, and coffee worked fine. But then we had people who had lived on sailboats for years.

Sure, a 44 foot Class A might be better for some folks, but our Sunsseeker 3170 was the best, by far, for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

After I retired we followed a dream my wife and I had for a long long time and purchased our first class c. It was a Coachman Freelander, like 21...22feet long and we were off. Needless to say we were hooked on this great life. Only problem was too small for our needs so traded it in for a 2020 Sunseeker 3010 DS. We absolutely love this camper and it’s our little piece of heaven. Unfortunately we live in a winter climate and it’s in storage until April, but that gives us time to plan next season’s adventures. Hopefully this terrible virus will be under control because it’s been a lifelong dream of ours to go out west and experience as much as we can in our great country!
JWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 12:48 PM   #27

New to US

New to FR and the 3170DS will be our first Class C. Coming from a 35' 5th wheel. Bought used from a local one owner private party. Planning on our retirement travels. Wife has @4-5 years until she is free. Bought the 3170DS for a few reasons:

1). Local
2). Low miles, barely used
3). Price
4). Loved the layout

It's just the two of us and a 7 month old puppy. But our first grandson is on his way. We have two adult children and a almost 92 y/o mother in law....we are getting ready to become snowbirds and enjoy retired life. This unit allows us to take more than just us with us if we want, and still have a separate sleeping area that can be used and accessed with all the slides in! A huge plus, and you can still get into the bathroom, another huge plus. We look froward to years of use and miles. Will be flat towing our 2019 F150...our initial shakedown trip will be next month to Pocahontas State Park in Chester, VA!!! Look forward to learning a lot from everyone on here. Happy Camping, safe travels, cheers.
WAORGANY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 01:30 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAORGANY View Post
New to FR and the 3170DS will be our first Class C. Coming from a 35' 5th wheel. Bought used from a local one owner private party. Planning on our retirement travels. Wife has @4-5 years until she is free. Bought the 3170DS for a few reasons:

1). Local

2). Low miles, barely used

3). Price

4). Loved the layout

It's just the two of us and a 7 month old puppy. But our first grandson is on his way. We have two adult children and a almost 92 y/o mother in law....we are getting ready to become snowbirds and enjoy retired life. This unit allows us to take more than just us with us if we want, and still have a separate sleeping area that can be used and accessed with all the slides in! A huge plus, and you can still get into the bathroom, another huge plus. We look froward to years of use and miles. Will be flat towing our 2019 F150...our initial shakedown trip will be next month to Pocahontas State Park in Chester, VA!!! Look forward to learning a lot from everyone on here. Happy Camping, safe travels, cheers.

Enjoy your trip. We stayed at Pocahontas summer before last and it is a beautiful well maintained and quiet campground. Most spaces are nicely sized and level. Nice hiking trails would definitely go back! Last year we stayed at Westmoreland state park and it was a great trip as well!
JWallet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags