Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2018, 10:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigSeeker View Post
I'm confused about this. Our 2500TS panel has modes for heat and cooling, and a separate furnace button. If I select heat and not furnace am I burning propane anyway? If not what is providing the heat source?
I don't know what is in your trailer. If you get heat from the ceiling you have a heat pump system. It is using the ac in reverse cycle to produce heat. You are not burning propane. Below 32 degrees F outside temp, your heat pump will not provide heat. It will require AUX heat. It will shut off your compressor and turn on your furnace. Now you are burning propane. You will burn propane if you hear the furnace and feel heat from the floor.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:07 AM   #22
Certified Curmudgeon

Trailer! We don’t got no stinking trailer. J/K Seriously, as UTGrandpa mentioned, the issue is heat source in temps where the heatpump does not function. I see this as; Save
a couple if gallons of propane and maybe spend hundreds, maybe a thousand to have your tanks, water pump and plumbing replaced.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:22 AM   #23
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I don't know what is in your trailer. If you get heat from the ceiling you have a heat pump system. It is using the ac in reverse cycle to produce heat. You are not burning propane. Below 32 degrees F outside temp, your heat pump will not provide heat. It will require AUX heat. It will shut off your compressor and turn on your furnace. Now you are burning propane. You will burn propane if you hear the furnace and feel heat from the floor.
cavie,

We've discussed this before...

There are three standard types of heat systems that could be available in most travel trailers/5th wheels/pop-ups/a-frames. (NOTE: I'm not including the hot water systems used in some motorhomes but not all)

There is a Heat Pump, where the A/C compressor runs backwards to create heat and blows out of the A/C vents.

There is a Heat Strip that is sometimes an option on A/C units. It uses an electric heating element to create heat and blows out the A/C vents.

And finally the propane furnace, which blows heat out the floor vents.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:32 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
cavie,

We've discussed this before...

There are three standard types of heat systems that could be available in most travel trailers/5th wheels/pop-ups/a-frames. (NOTE: I'm not including the hot water systems used in some motorhomes but not all)

There is a Heat Pump, where the A/C compressor runs backwards to create heat and blows out of the A/C vents.

There is a Heat Strip that is sometimes an option on A/C units. It uses an electric heating element to create heat and blows out the A/C vents.

And finally the propane furnace, which blows heat out the floor vents.
You are 100% correct. I try to avoid the heat strip discussion because it is rare and muddys up the conversation.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, pump