Old 01-13-2018, 04:51 PM   #1

Will heat pump turn on furnace

We have a 2017 sunseeker 2800qs and are wondering if we have the heat pump on and the outside temp drops below 32 degrees, Wil the heat pump automatically turn on the furnace when the heat pump can not heat efficiently?

Tom C 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C 47 View Post
We have a 2017 sunseeker 2800qs and are wondering if we have the heat pump on and the outside temp drops below 32 degrees, Wil the heat pump automatically turn on the furnace when the heat pump can not heat efficiently?
NO. The furnace is controlled by the thermostat temp setting, not the heat pump. IF the heat pump has an aux heat strip ( I do not know if they do, I doubt it due to a large amp draw.) then the heat pump will turn that on. Its just like the heat pump in a residence.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:35 PM   #3

well maybe

Our heat pump will kick on the propane furnace when the heat pump fails to extract external heat from the air. Or we can select furnace only. We did dump the dometic heat pump for a coleman unit last year. I do not think the dometic had that feature.
L'IL Foot" 2014 Sunseeker 2300
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:50 PM   #4

If it works like one in a house. Then it has heat strips when it get below a certain temp out side the heat strips kick in and provide extra heat. The blower on the furnace will cut on to circulate the heat.
Gonefishing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post
Our heat pump will kick on the propane furnace when the heat pump fails to extract external heat from the air. Or we can select furnace only. We did dump the dometic heat pump for a coleman unit last year. I do not think the dometic had that feature.
see there, never to old to learn something.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
Old 01-13-2018, 05:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonefishing1 View Post
If it works like one in a house. Then it has heat strips when it get below a certain temp out side the heat strips kick in and provide extra heat. The blower on the furnace will cut on to circulate the heat.
If the furnace blower is on, the furnace is providing the heat. It's not gonna just move the heat around.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:38 PM   #7

As a side note it is 28 right now outside. Using an oil radiator in the coach, keeping up to 72. Bet I would burn a lb or two of propane this weekend if I was using the furnace........
L'IL Foot" 2014 Sunseeker 2300
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
If the furnace blower is on, the furnace is providing the heat. It's not gonna just move the heat around.
That is correct but it is the heat strips that are proving the extra heat. If like a house furnace.
Gonefishing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:58 PM   #9

On our 2017 2860ds no it wont bring in the furnace, when we camp in the winter we find that we can get away with using the heat pump during the day but have to switch it over to furnace at night when the tempature drops
gasgastwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:44 AM   #10

It appears there are a lot of different types of answers. Looks like it would depend on your particular unit. Our unit has the electric heat tape contained within and it will also activate the furnace if needed.

mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, pump