Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2017, 10:53 AM   #1

Wind issues

We took our coach at for the first time. It was windy, which blew us all over the road. We are really disappointed in the drive, not relaxing at all. Is there anything we could do to stop from swaying all over the road?
Old 04-22-2017, 09:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubelle View Post
We took our coach at for the first time. It was windy, which blew us all over the road. We are really disappointed in the drive, not relaxing at all. Is there anything we could do to stop from swaying all over the road?
Get the front end re- alined to the specs listed on this forum search for the thread. Makes a really big difference in how it handles.
rekwiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:20 PM   #3

X2

Alignment is a good start. That and putting 70 psi in the Ride Rites made a night and day difference for our coach.
Here is a link to probably more than you want to know about it, assuming yours is on a Ford chassis.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d.php?t=129835

If it's very windy, it's also a good idea to just slow down. Heavy winds are rough on all high profile vehicles.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netgain View Post
X2

Alignment is a good start. That and putting 70 psi in the Ride Rites made a night and day difference for our coach.
Here is a link to probably more than you want to know about it, assuming yours is on a Ford chassis.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d.php?t=129835

If it's very windy, it's also a good idea to just slow down. Heavy winds are rough on all high profile vehicles.
+10

You are on vacation, not an Indy race. Minimum speed on any US highway is 45 mph. Anything above 45 is legal. You might not make the idiot following you happy, but who cares.... it's vacation.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
+10

You are on vacation, not an Indy race. Minimum speed on any US highway is 45 mph. Anything above 45 is legal. You might not make the idiot following you happy, but who cares.... it's vacation.
You are so right! I had to learn that and our trips are much more enjoyable.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:55 PM   #6
WFD

Quote:

There can be so many issues at play here....just how windy was it? Were your expectations realistic? There comes a point with high winds that you just have to say forget it and get off the road and wait it out....you didn't say how windy it was.
Was your tire inflation right? That could have a bearing on performance. Alignment as some say as well.
How fast were you travelling?
Your post is a bit short on details for anyone to give you solid, reliable answers.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:47 PM   #7

It was a windy day, traveling at about 62 mpg. On interstate. We expected that there would be some issue with the wind, but my DH said the whole drive was stressful. We only went 200 miles.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:33 AM   #8

Quote:
It was a windy day, traveling at about 62 mpg. On interstate. We expected that there would be some issue with the wind, but my DH said the whole drive was stressful. We only went 200 miles.

That's great gas mileage. I don't even get that in my Prius.
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:12 AM   #9

So what wind speed did you encounter? We religiously check wind forecast for any of our travel days. If it's over 25mph we change our plans if possible. Especially if it's a crosswind.

We just left Ft. McDowell, AZ a day early, traveling to Las Cruces, NM at night, to avoid 30mph sustained with 50mph gusts forecasted for the next several days.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:50 AM   #10

Being a retired long distance trucker (40 years), Many times I put my outfit in the Pickle Park during a wind event. Truckers encounter the same issues as RV'ers, with wind, especially cross winds.

Have to say as well that 65 mpg is fantastic mileage with anything except maybe a motorcycle. I can get 70 out of my ADV bike.....
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
So what wind speed did you encounter? We religiously check wind forecast for any of our travel days. If it's over 25mph we change our plans if possible. Especially if it's a crosswind.

We just left Ft. McDowell, AZ a day early, traveling to Las Cruces, NM at night, to avoid 30mph sustained with 50mph gusts forecasted for the next several days.
X2.
Yesterday we did I40 yesterday from Needles to Barstow.
The whole trip I was getting blown around...in my car !
Kept telling the wife I am glad we were not in the coach.

Always try to plan around the wind.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:20 AM   #12

Lol, sorry I meant mph. I wish I got 62, 10 would be great.

I don't think the wind gusts were more than 10 mph, it is just a windy month. We just got the coach in March and need to take it out to remove the kinks.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:34 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If this is one of your first times out, you are more sensitive about how it drives and reacts. After some time behind the wheel, you will be more at ease. Along with that, the suggestions by others will help also.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
+10

Wow.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Lol, sorry I meant mph. I wish I got 62, 10 would be great.

I don't think the wind gusts were more than 10 mph, it is just a windy month. We just got the coach in March and need to take it out to remove the kinks.
If 10mph was 'blowing you all over the road', there is something wrong. You really shouldn't even notice a 10mph cross wind. I would take others advice and have your front end, tires, suspension, checked out by experts.

Just curious, how did the rig handle passing semis?

Some of our MH friends have added steering stabilizers, adjusted torsion bars, and adjusted weight held in storage areas, to help with drivability.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:50 PM   #16

Check out Roadmaster for their steering return to center device, that will dampen the constant need to adjust the steering wheel. Roadmaster also has sway bars for front and back that are beefier than the stocl sway bars already on the RV. I changed only the rear swsy bar and it was enough to do the trick. However, as someone already said, it is wise to drive according to the conditions. Even with the return to center device and the rear sway bar if I bomb down the highway at 70mph and the wind is gusting my RV will still move all over the road.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote