Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2016, 07:42 PM   #1

Winter evening temps before water freezes

We have a 2015 3050s, planning to leave Colorado in Jan for Florida.

With the furnace on and set at 65F, how cold can it get at night before the water pipes freeze? I know the furnace warms the water pump area, but concerned about the water pipes, hot water heater will be on. I do not think the Arctic pack will help since I believe it just heats the pads on the gray and black tanks.
13larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:08 PM   #2

Personally, I'd leave it winterized and not unwinterize it until you get there....
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:25 PM   #3

Your outside waterline (if connected to city water) will freeze first.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:44 PM   #4

Unfortunately, there are too many variables to say for sure. And, driving versus parked can make a difference as well.

I've been successful down to 10 degrees but that takes a lot of planning and a lot of propane. I.e., no outside hoses, water heater always on, keep inside cabinet doors open, trouble lights in cold spots etc. possible while parked, not so much while driving. And, lots and lots of propane.

Your best and safest bet is to stay winterized and head south as fast as possible. You can use bottled water to drink and use pink antifreeze to flush the toilet along the way. You're not likely to find open campgrounds or water/sewer hookups anyway until in warmer areas.
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:01 PM   #5
Senior Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Personally, I'd leave it winterized and not unwinterize it until you get there....
Good Advice!

Or at least get south far enough that you are taking no chances.

Kinda surprised you are Florida bound. When we lived in Colorado, everyone headed to Arizona or Texas.

Happy Camping
Old 12-28-2016, 09:15 PM   #6

My wife and I leave northern Vermont in our 3010DS in mid January for Florida. We start the trip winterized and use several jugs of fresh water for washing and flushing. We have about a gallon of pink stuff to use as a chaser so the grey & black tank get some as they are filling. We'll fill the fresh water tank when it's consistently above 32. Last year we drove in a cold snap so it was Jacksonville before we did that. Generally I would try when I stop in NC for the night. I have to head back home in March (and it still can go below 0 here) so I have to winterize on the way home. For me I pulled the wires on the ice maker solenoid so I don't have to deal with winterizing that. To much hassle when winterizing multiple times a year. Also, the propane tank is small on the 3010DS so I don't want to run the furnace when I'm driving. The truck heater won't circulate warm air in the basement.
kins83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, winter