Old 01-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #1

Winter / fuel additive / generator

Sorry but I have a few questions here...

Background:
  • Bought new Sunseeker in August.
  • Used it pretty regularly through October.
  • Gas cycled through as a result.
  • Onan generator didn't run as much as it should have.
  • Went in for warranty work in early November & picking up this weekend (long story...).
Questions:
  1. Fuel Additive - type: From reading the net, Motorhome Magazine dot com recommends Sea Foam Motor Treatment. I have heard a lot over my lifetime about Sta-Bil Fuel Stabilizer. Are they essentially the same thing where I could use either one in the Sunseeker? Also, is it possible to use the same product in my mower & snowblower?
  2. Fuel Additive - how to use: Do I just pour it into the Sunseeker tank through the gas fill, fill up the tank, drive around a little to slosh it around & cycle it through the motor?
  3. Generator: Planning to run it for about 30 minutes per month from here on out. Figure over the winter, I can drive the unit & run the generator at the same time which is probably good all the way around. They say to run it "under load". What is that? Probably easier in the summer to run the roof AC while driving. How do I run it under load in the winter while driving?
Thanks!

Old 01-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #2

Questions:
  1. Fuel Additive - type: From reading the net, Motorhome Magazine dot com recommends Sea Foam Motor Treatment. I have heard a lot over my lifetime about Sta-Bil Fuel Stabilizer. Are they essentially the same thing where I could use either one in the Sunseeker? Also, is it possible to use the same product in my mower & snowblower?
I have used Stabil in all my seasonal equipment/toys, classic cars etc for many years. Since 10% ethanol I now add Startron to the tank as well. So far so good.

1. Fuel Additive - how to use: Do I just pour it into the Sunseeker tank through the gas fill, fill up the tank, drive around a little to slosh it around & cycle it through the motor?
I add it the last time I fill up at the end of the season. Driving back to the garage mixes it enough through the system. Also I change the engine oil/filter and check all fluids before I put it away. Don't forget battery levels.

1. Generator: Planning to run it for about 30 minutes per month from here on out. Figure over the winter, I can drive the unit & run the generator at the same time which is probably good all the way around. They say to run it "under load". What is that? Probably easier in the summer to run the roof AC while driving. How do I run it under load in the winter while driving?
I run the generator to heat it up and change the oil if needed. Then disconnect the fuel line and start it back up and run til it stops. If you want to load the generator in cold weather just plug a heater or other kitchen appliance in to give you some load. 1500 watts or so should be plenty.

I tuck it away in it's garage and put battery tenders on both the coach and chassis batteries. Last year I ran it periodically to keep the batteries up every month or so since I wasn't using tenders. Not sure but I may start it once or twice during this winter but it will not go out until the salt is washed off the roads.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
Sorry but I have a few questions here...

Background:
  • Bought new Sunseeker in August.
  • Used it pretty regularly through October.
  • Gas cycled through as a result.
  • Onan generator didn't run as much as it should have.
  • Went in for warranty work in early November & picking up this weekend (long story...).
Thanks!
Good advice from ATVer, I would just add both all engines minimum monthly till they are up to temp, dash gauge is fine. You don't want condensation from cold metal forming internally including the sump to form and condense on precision surfaces. Usually 20-30 minutes is plenty.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:57 AM   #4

I added Heat to my gas tank at last fillup (made by Stabil, used the type good for fuel injector and carburetor engines) . Run the engine and generator once a month. I have the heat pump feature on the AC, so I run that to provide the load for the generator. Changed oil and filter as part of winterizing.