Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2016, 08:49 AM   #1

Winterization Tips

As a recent purchaser of a 2005 Sunseeker 3320 I have several winterizing questions. Should the coach and engine batteries be removed and put on a battery tender? I have winterized TT'S in the past but any other tips on MH winterization would be appreciated.
peartree049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:13 PM   #2

I live in GA and we have mild winters so my answers might not be right for you. Or even right at all. I left both batteries in the RV last year and once a month drove the RV for about an hour. I ran the generator as well. I also topped off the tires and air bags. This kept everything running well through the winter.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:34 PM   #3

I have a 3010DS and live in VT. It gets really cold here. I don't remove the coach batteries I just turn the cutoff switch off. I leave it at outside storage.
I go over once a month and start the generator and run it under load for about 1/2 hour. I also start and run the truck for a little bit. There are some drains on the battery even with the cutoff "off" and if the batteries go to low the relay won't kick-in to power on. This year I'm going to use a solar trickle charger. Make sure you put fuel stabilizer in it before you put it away. If you don't the generator will be sick in the spring because of the ethanol absorbing water and corroding. After adding make sure you run the gen long enough to pull some through. Swing the mirrors in because the roof downspout will drain on it and you will have a massive glob of ice on the mirror. These are the only Class C special things I can think of in the winterizing process. If equipped with airbags check fill them in the spring before use because they leak down a lot.
kins83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:04 AM   #4

Winterization tips

Since I live in NH and the MH will be in outside storage and I will be in SC for 3 to 4 months my options are few. I probably should remove the batteries and put them on trickle charger for the winter. I have put stabilizer in gas tank and will run it sufficiently to get into generator but are there any other suggestions for it? The water lines have been drained and antifreeze has been added. Since this is my first experience with MH am I forgetting anything?
peartree049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by peartree049 View Post
Since I live in NH and the MH will be in outside storage and I will be in SC for 3 to 4 months my options are few. I probably should remove the batteries and put them on trickle charger for the winter. I have put stabilizer in gas tank and will run it sufficiently to get into generator but are there any other suggestions for it? The water lines have been drained and antifreeze has been added. Since this is my first experience with MH am I forgetting anything?
I keep my MH at my house, but still I remove the coach batteries, bring them into my garage and put them on trickle chargers. As for the chassis, I also keep a charger (placed under the hood) on that battery via an extension cord.

If you've done the plumbing winterization, you might also be concerned with is the pesky rodents that may invade. So make whatever preparations you can for that. I recently purchased a MouseBlocker and I put everything into plastic bins that the critters might possibly try to get into.

Close your roof vents unless you have MaxxAir covers and want to keep them open a bit (I always have).

Air up your tires fully.

Fill up your fuel tank.

If you have a cover, put that on it.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:23 AM   #6
DW's 401(k) Plan

I can see this is going to be a lot more complicated than what it was with the TT. With the TT, I took the propane tanks off, drained the hwh, drained water lines and filled with pink stuff, towed it to storage facility, took off deep cycle battery, covered it and let it sit for about 5 months.
This MH thing with the generator, coach batteries and other stuff is a little daunting.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:40 PM   #7

It isn't bad at all. I didn't winterize my travel trailer the first 2 seasons myself, but did my class C for the first time last year and it is easy. I did a video of it you can see below. As I stated earlier, I leave my batteries in and run my RV once a month for an hour, including the generator. But I am in a mild climate (Georgia).

Old 10-14-2016, 06:25 PM   #8

Very informative! Thanks!
Old 10-15-2016, 03:13 PM   #9

If you have an icemaker don't forget to drain that, and check that the water pump sediment bowl doesn't have water in it,and we always take the batteries out of the remotes, flashlights, etc.

Shaun & Michelle
2016 Sunseeker 3010DSF
Old 10-15-2016, 06:11 PM   #10

I leave all batteries in place and start the engine and generator about once a month. We live near st. louis and have cold weather for about 4-5 months.

2012 Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 10-21-2016, 07:33 PM   #11

Batteries w/coach plugged in

I live in MI and store the RV outside but have access to it being plugged in to run a mouse deterrentr. I also go out once a month, unplug, start generator with heater to draw on it for about 1/2 hour. Start engine of truck also. I leave the RV batteries hooked up while plugged in, should the converter switch be on or off. The one just inside the door on my 2860DS 2014 Sunseeker. Last year my batteries seemed to go dry and had to buy new.
Terrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter