Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2016, 04:06 PM   #1

Cool Winterizing while the temps are still in the 80s?

So this weekend is my last trip of the season, almost. I will be winterizing the RV this weekend and putting it away until the week of New Years. Then we are going to Florida for 5 nights. I will de-winterize and re-winterize that week in Florida.

But it really seems odd to put it away while the temps are in the 80s. I would wait a bit longer but my November is planned out and the RV isn't in the plans.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:10 PM   #2
WFD

At least you will have peace of mind should the weather take a sudden turn, and we all know how easily that can happen in November and December.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:22 PM   #3

I've winterized in the 20's with the wind blowing. Not fun, I'd rather do it in 80's. Some things are just hard to do when you've lost feeling in your frozen fingers. Yes I tend to procrastinate.
kins83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:25 AM   #4

Re: Winterizing while the temps are still in the 80s?

Yes, it's strange to do it in the 80's, but it's the right decision since you're done with the RV for the year.

I didn't winterize one year because we had a trip planned around Thanksgiving. Got up one November morning and the forecast for 35 degrees was actually 30. I went to the storage lot and it was 25 there. I fired up the propane furnace and got everything warmed up. Did it the next morning, too.

Now, it's in the 80's, we have a Thanksgiving trip, and I haven't winterized. Do I take a chance again? I haven't decided yet.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:41 AM   #5
Wait till next year...

Just had 3 nights in southern New England below freezing. I had blown out all lines,emptied HWH and fresh water tank and antifreezed drains. Just couldnt antifreeze lines and FWtank yet still hoping to get another couple a days camping in.Maybe 50 degrees on the Cape next week
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:47 PM   #6

We had to do it in Aug since DH was going out to sea. But it was done; a piece of mind like someone else said. One year we waited thinking DH would be back before freezing temps came in. Well, DH did not make it in and we had to replace a elbow joint/valve(?) something behind the toilet. Did not find out till we went camping in the early Summer. What fun. Usually DH runs everything before we head out on the road but he just did not do it that time.
Dorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:35 PM   #7

I just had to winterize my rv twice in less than three weeks!. I dropped it off at the dealer for some repairs and they refilled the fresh water tank and ran water back into the plumbing system. Of course, they didn't rewinterize it when they were done, nor did they tell me that they had put water back into it.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 05:53 PM   #8

winterizing question

I have a question for this thread since there's a lot of discussions about winterizing. I have a 3010DS and it has the pur water filter. I pull the filter and run the pink stuff through and of course the glass bowl ends up with pink stuff in it. Last year I removed and emptied, but do I really need to do that. I read somewhere that the pink antifreeze won't expand. If in doubt I'll drain it, but it just makes a mess because a bunch of it drains back from the lines into the compartment. Makes me think I should just start blowing it out.
kins83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:59 AM   #9

I also have a 3010 and, yes, I always leave the filter housing full of the pink stuff. Filter out, of course. I both blow out the lines with air and then also use the pink stuff. I installed a winterizing valve and hose up steam of the pump so I can then pressurize the whole system with antifreeze after draining and blowing out the lines with air.

One thing to remember is that after blowing out the lines with air, you'll want to reopen the low point drains and also re dump the filter housing as you always get a little extra water after using the air. Then, go,with the pink stuff.

Using both air and antifreeze may be more than is absolutely necessary, but it's worked well and is a little extra piece of mind.
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:51 AM   #10

Well I did it. I winterized in what feels like summer.

As for leaving the filter jar full of pink stuff, I did last year and will be doing it again this year. But I am in GA where we don't get long, hard freezes so I have less worry about it. It is my understanding that it does not expand when it freezes so it should be good. I guess if it did expand, it would break other things as well so the jar should be fine.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:22 PM   #11

It has been discussed on this forum that residual water could be left in the threads of the filter canister and during a hard freeze, could freeze and expand enough to crack the canister or housing. After winterizing, I leave the canister off.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Dorothy, Miss Bella and I. Sometimes daughter and grands, loving life.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kins83 View Post
I have a question for this thread since there's a lot of discussions about winterizing. I have a 3010DS and it has the pur water filter. I pull the filter and run the pink stuff through and of course the glass bowl ends up with pink stuff in it. Last year I removed and emptied, but do I really need to do that. I read somewhere that the pink antifreeze won't expand. If in doubt I'll drain it, but it just makes a mess because a bunch of it drains back from the lines into the compartment. Makes me think I should just start blowing it out.

I have been blowing out for last 5 years (2 different coaches) here in South Carolina
All has been well but if you read my thread above about the outside shower supply line blowing last week,I just don't Know if it failed (weak joint) or at some point a little water froze
I personally believe it just failed but not sure
I really have been methodical during blowout process and I do leave my filter can off after I'm done (and no more water is left behind
This process is so much easier in Southern climate but we did get into some teens last winter and I took the extra step to turn on an electric heater during the cold snaps
I don't know what I'm going to do this month but I don't have the handy winterizing kit on my unit and Oh how I hate extra work

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter