Old 09-23-2015, 04:59 PM   #11
Pull the hw anode! I open the the drains (valves), open all of the lines, pull the anode, and wait a day.

Second, close all valves and lines, put new anode in, activate hw bypass, charge to 30 psi and purge one facet at a time.

Third, pull the filter, pull the wire screen, suck a cup of anti freeze in the pump, and put a little in each drain trap, then open all lines coming and going.

I dont like the tank having antifreeze, I would rather bleach and purge come spring.

Hoglou westGA
KM4HQQ 146.640mhz
L'IL Foot" 2014 Sunseeker 2300
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Hoglou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:27 PM   #12
When one has the ice maker, whats the best way to remove all water from the fridge

TEC1957 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:46 PM   #13
Originally Posted by jeffreymhardy View Post
Sounds like good advice. This will only be my second year with an RV and last year I had an older MH and used all anti freeze. I was hoping the air method (with anti freeze only in the drains and traps) would make it easier for me to go back and forth if I want to camp a few weekends in winter
I never knew about low-point drains until recently. I have winterized my MH twice since I bought it in 2013. I blew out the lines and in the first winter I used antifreeze in the lines and traps and the second winter only in the traps. When I used the antifreeze in the lines, I got that nasty rotten-egg smell afterwards, the next year I didn't. No problems either way even though I never opened the low-point drains (since I didn't know they existed), I guess I was lucky. I will open them this year though.
KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:47 AM   #14
OK - looked at a million posts on this and have seen 1.5 million different lists. Starting to confuse myself and am about to revert to the full antifreeze just out of uncertainty.

From the lists I've seen and adapting to my own TT's systems, here is what I hope is a complete and proper list. Any input/suggestions are greatly appreciated so I don't mess anything up.

Drain the fresh water tank and empty thewaste water holding tanks.
Remove low point drain caps.
Turn the water heater bypass valve to the‘bypass’ position.

Drain the water heater.

Remove water filter from filter canister

Re-install filter canister and low pointdrain caps (to create a closed system).

With one faucet open, turn on the water pumpfor at least 30 seconds, to clear any water from the lines.

Connect air hose to city water fill andpressurize to 30 psi.

Open all faucets one at a time (from front torear of unit) until no water comes out:
Kitchen hot andcold
Bathroom hot and cold
Toilet foot valve
Shower hot and cold
Outside sink hot and cold
Outside shower hot and cold

Re-empty water filter canister and re-install.

Remove low point drain caps again (to removeany water that migrated there during blow-out) and re-install caps

Pour RV anti-freeze into drains, p-traps,toilet bowl

Thanks in advance!
Brian, Stacy, and the girls (8 and 5)
2011 F-250 CCSB 6.7L PSD 4WD
2013 Solaire 269BHDSK
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:57 AM   #15
Who Dares, Wins
Sounds like how I do it more or less. The only thing extra I do is run some anti freeze through the pump since that was the only issue I ever had once while using just air. Also make sure to disconnect and drain the shower head. Mine holds some water sometimes and will crack if not drained.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2014 Greywolf 26DBH
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:09 AM   #16
What about the Black/Gray tank rinse valves? Is your Shower output on the Top of the control if so you may want to remove it and turn it for Proper install and Draining in Freezeing areas if you are just using Air! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4146.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	306.1 KB
ID:	92277  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:37 PM   #17
I open all drains and filter housing, air blow through all faucets, drains, etc individually, including the tank flushers, and pump anti freeze through the system. I like to leave the anti freeze in the system since the alcohol in it helps to disinfect everything. Also the water heater drain plug does not fully drain the water heater because it is not exactly at the bottom so I stuff the end of a towel into the drain plug hole for a few days to suck out any leftover water. This is not for a freeze concern but to reduce the rate of corrosion of the tank as it will stay wet all winter if left just drained.

I think many forget about the flush nozzles. If they freeze and break inside the tank you probably wouldn't even notice except they may not function as well.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:01 PM   #18
When winterizing with antifreeze only is it necessary to open low point drain after running antifreeze through all the faucets and water pump?
Sunseeker 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:21 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by Sunseeker 88 View Post
When winterizing with antifreeze only is it necessary to open low point drain after running antifreeze through all the faucets and water pump?

Since there's water in there, sounds like a good idea! (Personally, I don't open them when pumping antifreeze through the system because I drain them, no need.)
Rick & Karen
(Retired USAF, MSgt)
Monument, Colorado
5-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:35 PM   #20
I did drain all the water before i pumped antifreeze through. So i should again open that low point drain now that I have winterized?

Sunseeker 88 is offline   Reply With Quote

winter, winterize