Old 10-28-2015, 01:45 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker 88 View Post
I did drain all the water before i pumped antifreeze through. So i should again open that low point drain now that I have winterized?
Yes, just to be sure it's empty. (Especially if you towed it after winterizing to park it...liquids will move around in there.)

Some leave the valves/caps and even the water heater drain plug out/open but I don't do that because creepy crawly things may get in there.

6-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:58 PM   #22

Thanks

Old 10-28-2015, 02:09 PM   #23
Site Team

I'm baffled at why I keep seeing this question. Do people really want to intentionally pour all the AF they just put in their lines all over the ground?
Old 10-28-2015, 02:36 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I'm baffled at why I keep seeing this question. Do people really want to intentionally pour all the AF they just put in their lines all over the ground?
If your winterizing routine includes running AF into the lines the purpose is to displace any water the compressed air failed to remove... or chase the water out of the lines if you don't blow them out with air. One this is done, leaving the AF in the lines doesn't buy you a thing... makes no difference whether you leave it in there all winter or dump it out now - there's no water left in the system to freeze and do any harm.

The only place you really need AF over the winter is in the P-traps (just to maintain the gas seal), the toilet bowl (to keep the seal wet) and in the bottom of the black tank to keep any residual solids from drying.

2016 Coachmen Pursuit 31BD
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Toad
Nights camped in 2017: 3
pashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:21 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pashooter View Post
If your winterizing routine includes running AF into the lines the purpose is to displace any water the compressed air failed to remove... or chase the water out of the lines if you don't blow them out with air. One this is done, leaving the AF in the lines doesn't buy you a thing... makes no difference whether you leave it in there all winter or dump it out now - there's no water left in the system to freeze and do any harm.

The only place you really need AF over the winter is in the P-traps (just to maintain the gas seal), the toilet bowl (to keep the seal wet) and in the bottom of the black tank to keep any residual solids from drying.
That's fine but I don't see any reason to NOT leave it in there. I just leave it until the springtime when I flush/sanitize the entire system.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:36 PM   #26
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
What about the Black/Gray tank rinse valves? Is your Shower output on the Top of the control if so you may want to remove it and turn it for Proper install and Draining in Freezeing areas if you are just using Air!
The air adapter employed to blow the plumbing can be used to blow out the B/G rinse valves as well. Our shower output is on top and we've never had a problem blowing the H2O out of it. And it gets really, really, really cold here.
)
kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
Yes, just to be sure it's empty. (Especially if you towed it after winterizing to park it...liquids will move around in there.)

Some leave the valves/caps and even the water heater drain plug out/open but I don't do that because creepy crawly things may get in there.
When opening up my TT in the spring, after running fresh water through the pump and all faucets would I also remove the caps on the low point drains to avoid any possible contamination from AF that is in the low point drains?
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:41 PM   #28

IMHO air or antifreeze are two different methods to winterize. I consider air to be used in the southern climates like me, SC and antifreeze is used in northern climates. Air removes water, antifreeze displaces water. No need to use air and than run antifreeze through system or run antifreeze through system and than blow it out. Two different methods. Your choice.
I live in SC and use the air method. I drain water heater, blow down spigots, outside shower, remove water filter, discard and leave the bowl off.
I than open low point drain, blow down and close. I than pour pink antifreeze in sink traps and in toilet bowl to maintain seal.
I will say this, we had cold weather last year that made me fire up the furnace with thermostat set to 45, opened all under cabinet doors just for insurance. Just my ramblings on this subject.

Oh, The pink antifreeze is biodegradable.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 10-30-2015, 11:07 PM   #29
Cyber Phrenologist

Recommend if you blow the lines with air to leave all the faucets open when you are done. Any moisture left in the workings of the faucet will then have a place to expand into, if it should freeze, and not damage the faucet.
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:07 PM   #30

Pulled my RV out of the garage today to winterized it. DW is putting some things in and next week it will go to Florida until April.
Winterization surely is a pleasure.
Come on y'all, join us.
Travel safe

Tags
winter, winterize