Old 11-04-2015, 08:49 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post
I open all drains and filter housing, air blow through all faucets, drains, etc individually, including the tank flushers, and pump anti freeze through the system. I like to leave the anti freeze in the system since the alcohol in it helps to disinfect everything. Also the water heater drain plug does not fully drain the water heater because it is not exactly at the bottom so I stuff the end of a towel into the drain plug hole for a few days to suck out any leftover water. This is not for a freeze concern but to reduce the rate of corrosion of the tank as it will stay wet all winter if left just drained.

I think many forget about the flush nozzles. If they freeze and break inside the tank you probably wouldn't even notice except they may not function as well.
Amen to this, do one or the other, not both. My independent service guy here in Iowa said don't bother blowing the lines out just do anti-freeze. Also, last time I hooked up a compressor (40 psi) to my system I had to replace the city valve since it knocked the o-ring off.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:44 AM   #42

That's what they say, but the check valve must stay shut. No mater what I tried there would still be water left in the pump unless I pulled the lines. That's why I am going to try the antifreeze this year. Better safe than sorry. My neighbor has me paranoid. He blew his out last year and has been doing it for years and broke a fitting that was a major pain to get to. All these threads just make me want to do both to be safe.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:15 AM   #43
KAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy View Post
That's what they say, but the check valve must stay shut. No mater what I tried there would still be water left in the pump unless I pulled the lines. That's why I am going to try the antifreeze this year. Better safe than sorry. My neighbor has me paranoid. He blew his out last year and has been doing it for years and broke a fitting that was a major pain to get to. All these threads just make me want to do both to be safe.
Dumb question, but what/where is the check valve?
Old 11-04-2015, 11:11 AM   #44

When you hook up to the city water supply there is a check valve right after the pump outlet side. It keeps the city water pressure from back feeding into your holding tank. On my 3170 the city line and the water pump line come to a T right before the filter. The check valve is on the pump side. If this goes bad you will know because your storage take will fill and run over. There are some coaches that have a manual valve you turn so you fill your tank with the city hook up. No the case on mine.

Tags
winter, winterize