Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2015, 06:23 PM   #1

Winterizing with Air

I'm a little confused about something, and I have no doubt the good folks here can clarify for me.

In the owner's manual that came with my DS3010, here are the steps they outline for winterizing with air:

======

1.) Drain the fresh water tank and empty the waste water holding tanks.

2.) Turn the water heater bypass valve to the ‘bypass’ position. (This valve is located near the water heater incoming lines, at the rear of the water heater. The water heater is usually located in a base cabinet, in the kitchen, and it may be necessary to remove an access panel to reach the bypass valve.)

3.) Drain the water heater.

4.) If you have a water filtering system installed, remove the filter from the assembly and discard. (You will need to purchase a new one and install it, when de-winterizing your unit.)

5.) Open all faucets, including shower head sprayer, (if applicable), toilet flushing device, and any other water lines that are closed.

6.) Turn on the water pump for at least 30 seconds, to clear any water from the lines.

7.) Connect an air hose with an adapter (blow out plug), to the city water fill connection.

8.) Set the pressure to no greater than 30# (pounds) and blow out the water lines until no water can be seen coming out of the fixtures and lines.

9.) Pour RV anti-freeze into drains, p-traps, toilet and tanks.

======

Note that there is no mention of doing anything with low point drains. There is another thread going here about where those are, and I've read that, I'm just wondering if that is something I need to mess with or not. Logically, it seems like there would be water sitting there that will have nowhere to go with air pressure, so it should be part of my routine.

Advice?
jeffreymhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:32 PM   #2
clr

I would agree open the low point valves as well as the faucets to allow as much water to drain out of the lines as possible. Then close the low point valves and blow the water out as you say, then after the air open the low point valves again and let any water drain out.
By the way I always use the RV antifreeze approach as well as air and it has worked well for 29 years.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:51 PM   #3

Sounds like good advice. This will only be my second year with an RV and last year I had an older MH and used all anti freeze. I was hoping the air method (with anti freeze only in the drains and traps) would make it easier for me to go back and forth if I want to camp a few weekends in winter

2015 Sunseeker 3010DS
Old 09-21-2015, 06:52 PM   #4

If course another piece of advice I have heard is to leave the MH winterized but use antifreeze to allow toilet use

2015 Sunseeker 3010DS
Old 09-22-2015, 03:39 PM   #5

I did it just like you described including the recommendation to open low point drains
Here in the Carolina's total antifreeze in the whole system is overkill
I also keep a small electric heater on thermostat to keep the interior above freezing as a backup
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:17 AM   #6

We have been winterizing our Minnie Winnie using the air method and p-trap anti freeze only for years and no problem here in northern Utah. Will have to see soon what method we will use on our new 3171.
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:38 AM   #7
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreymhardy View Post
Logically, it seems like there would be water sitting there that will have nowhere to go with air pressure, so it should be part of my routine.
Indeed, open them up too. Don't forget the outside shower (if applicable) and remember to turn those taps off when done. With the exception of the p-traps and the toilet valve, we've never winterized with antifreeze. Blowing out the system works well for those five or so months of winter hell that has us thinking that mother nature really hates us.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:41 AM   #8

I also winterize using the air method because our winters are mild and we camp all winter prettty much. I dint even bother to winterize unless I know there's a big cold front coming and it's going to be colder than 28 deg. and yes 20 deg. that's a big cold front for us. LOL
Open those low point drains and also when I'm blowing out the lines I have the DW opening the valves for me inside the RV one at a time, that gets more air velocity to each valve instead of all being open at once.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:56 AM   #9

Quote:
If course another piece of advice I have heard is to leave the MH winterized but use antifreeze to allow toilet use
This is what I do here in NJ. We never drink the water from the tank anyway, so on a nice weekend in the winter months we can still make use of rv.

I do blow out the lines and then add antifreeze after just to make myself feel better. It doesn't take that long.

Good luck,
Don
dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:05 AM   #10

Helpful responses, guys, thanks. For those of you who cold-weather-camp, do you keep your rig winterized and just bring bottled water? or do you just winterize and dewinterize each time you go on a trip?
Old 09-23-2015, 04:59 PM   #11

Pull the hw anode! I open the the drains (valves), open all of the lines, pull the anode, and wait a day.

Second, close all valves and lines, put new anode in, activate hw bypass, charge to 30 psi and purge one facet at a time.

Third, pull the filter, pull the wire screen, suck a cup of anti freeze in the pump, and put a little in each drain trap, then open all lines coming and going.

I dont like the tank having antifreeze, I would rather bleach and purge come spring.
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:27 PM   #12

When one has the ice maker, whats the best way to remove all water from the fridge
TEC1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:46 PM   #13
KAS

Quote:
Sounds like good advice. This will only be my second year with an RV and last year I had an older MH and used all anti freeze. I was hoping the air method (with anti freeze only in the drains and traps) would make it easier for me to go back and forth if I want to camp a few weekends in winter
I never knew about low-point drains until recently. I have winterized my MH twice since I bought it in 2013. I blew out the lines and in the first winter I used antifreeze in the lines and traps and the second winter only in the traps. When I used the antifreeze in the lines, I got that nasty rotten-egg smell afterwards, the next year I didn't. No problems either way even though I never opened the low-point drains (since I didn't know they existed), I guess I was lucky. I will open them this year though.
KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:47 AM   #14

OK - looked at a million posts on this and have seen 1.5 million different lists. Starting to confuse myself and am about to revert to the full antifreeze just out of uncertainty.

From the lists I've seen and adapting to my own TT's systems, here is what I hope is a complete and proper list. Any input/suggestions are greatly appreciated so I don't mess anything up.

Drain the fresh water tank and empty thewaste water holding tanks.
Remove low point drain caps.
Turn the water heater bypass valve to the‘bypass’ position.

Drain the water heater.

Remove water filter from filter canister

Re-install filter canister and low pointdrain caps (to create a closed system).

With one faucet open, turn on the water pumpfor at least 30 seconds, to clear any water from the lines.

Connect air hose to city water fill andpressurize to 30 psi.

Open all faucets one at a time (from front torear of unit) until no water comes out:
Kitchen hot andcold
Bathroom hot and cold
Toilet foot valve
Shower hot and cold
Outside sink hot and cold
Outside shower hot and cold

Re-empty water filter canister and re-install.

Remove low point drain caps again (to removeany water that migrated there during blow-out) and re-install caps

Pour RV anti-freeze into drains, p-traps,toilet bowl

Thanks in advance!
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:57 AM   #15
Who Dares, Wins

Sounds like how I do it more or less. The only thing extra I do is run some anti freeze through the pump since that was the only issue I ever had once while using just air. Also make sure to disconnect and drain the shower head. Mine holds some water sometimes and will crack if not drained.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:09 AM   #16

What about the Black/Gray tank rinse valves? Is your Shower output on the Top of the control if so you may want to remove it and turn it for Proper install and Draining in Freezeing areas if you are just using Air! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4146.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	306.1 KB
ID:	92277  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:37 PM   #17

I open all drains and filter housing, air blow through all faucets, drains, etc individually, including the tank flushers, and pump anti freeze through the system. I like to leave the anti freeze in the system since the alcohol in it helps to disinfect everything. Also the water heater drain plug does not fully drain the water heater because it is not exactly at the bottom so I stuff the end of a towel into the drain plug hole for a few days to suck out any leftover water. This is not for a freeze concern but to reduce the rate of corrosion of the tank as it will stay wet all winter if left just drained.

I think many forget about the flush nozzles. If they freeze and break inside the tank you probably wouldn't even notice except they may not function as well.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:01 PM   #18

When winterizing with antifreeze only is it necessary to open low point drain after running antifreeze through all the faucets and water pump?
Sunseeker 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:21 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker 88 View Post
When winterizing with antifreeze only is it necessary to open low point drain after running antifreeze through all the faucets and water pump?

Since there's water in there, sounds like a good idea! (Personally, I don't open them when pumping antifreeze through the system because I drain them, anyway...so no need.)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:35 PM   #20

I did drain all the water before i pumped antifreeze through. So i should again open that low point drain now that I have winterized?
Sunseeker 88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize