Old 06-24-2014, 07:20 AM   #11
Site Team - Lou
Originally Posted by LittlePM View Post
I have been told by many campers for years FIRST you NEVER leave your tanks open the fumes can cause health problems.
I also keep my valves closed (both gray and black) dumping only when full (or we are leaving hookups) because leaving them open allows the solids in both type of tanks time to dry out and become harder to flush out.

You should never "smell" tank odors inside the camper even with the valves open since the tanks are vented to the roof and the water above the toilet valve and water in the gray traps keeps fumes from entering the camper.

Fumes in the camper at any time (valves open or closed) means you should find out where the leak is. Many times "sloshing" during travel will empty the shower trap and allow (stinky) gray tank fumes to enter via the shower drain. Simply add a cup of water to the shower pan to stop the smell.

Also using the vent fan when using the "facility" can draw odors (valve open or closed) up through the toilet when flushing with a nearly full tank. Shut off the fan when flushing and turn it back on when you are done.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:26 AM   #12
Mod free 5er
Just dumping the grey tanks can suck the P traps dry. When you open a dump valve, it simply overcomes the roof vents and sucks the water out of the traps. Herk is correct, just pour a cup of water in each drain.

OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:49 AM   #13
Thank you, I didn't know to add the water back to the drains to stop the smell, we do have that after we dump sometimes.
Pennie and Chuck, Mandi and Polly (the little dogs)
2014 Georgetown XL378, 2013 Honda CR-V AWD Toad
Days Camped 2014 - 83, 2015 - 56, 2016 - 49 and counting

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:57 AM   #14
Site Team
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
I do a "septic" cleaning once a year when I winterize using RV-Digest-It with a full tank of water and a 7 day wait.

I need to add that to my winterizing process. I thought I did a good job cleaning the tanks last year since I was at it for a couple of hours filling, dumping, flushing, repeat, until dumping a full tank appeared crystal clear. During the spring sanitize I dumped most of the FW bleach into the black tank, drove it to the campground... and was surprised I was still getting TP and stuff flushing out despite my cleaning efforts in the fall.

There's no use crying over spilled milk, unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote

black, black tank, light, tank