Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2017, 09:23 PM   #21

A note on torque wrenches. If you use the common "click" type torque wrench, always store the wrench at 0 torque lbs or whatever the minimum setting is. There is a spring inside the wrench and leaving the wrench at the setting you last used it will reduce the accuracy of the wrench. This instruction should come with the wrench, both of mine did...
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:25 PM   #22
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
A note on torque wrenches. If you use the common "click" type torque wrench, always store the wrench at 0 torque lbs or whatever the minimum setting is. There is a spring inside the wrench and leaving the wrench at the setting you last used it will reduce the accuracy of the wrench. This instruction should come with the wrench, both of mine did...
It's funny you say this, my hf wrenches also came with instructions on how to send it back to them or yearly calibration.. I'll buy a new one for 14.99...

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
It's funny you say this, my hf wrenches also came with instructions on how to send it back to them or yearly calibration.. I'll buy a new one for 14.99...
Yah, the 100 lb wrenches aren't too bad to replace. My 250 lb wrench has a steeper price tag..
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:32 PM   #24
Who Dares, Wins

Yeah.. I have a nice one.. It was great until my father got a flat near my house and used my "breaker bar " to loosen the lugs on his lowboy trailer..

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 10-23-2017, 09:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
A torque wrench is another matter, and it's a good option to apply precise torque on a nut. I don't use one for lug nuts.

For day-to-day use, I have these in my truck:

Heavy-duty lug wrench. The telescoping handle makes it very powerful, yet it collapses nicely to store in the vehicle. Mine, from Walmart, has two double-ended sockets that have a 1/2" drive adaptable to use with a torque wrench--requires a short extension. The sockets fit nicely into the recesses in alloy wheels.

Folding 4-way wrench This is handy to spin the lug nuts while loose--an otherwise tedious process. It, too, stores easily.

Both fit everything I've owned thus far since I bought them: 4 cars - Isuzu Rodeo, Ford Explorer, Dodge Ram 1500, Toyota RAV 4 - and two PUPS.
If you are saying you just tighten them up without any accuracy you should re-think that. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ies/crying.gif.

If you don't torque you are playing with fire.http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...s/campfire.gif
Old 10-23-2017, 09:37 PM   #26

Not a big fan of Harbor Freight. I would buy elsewhere. Quality tools are worth the price.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:39 PM   #27
Who Dares, Wins

In a test done by the family handyman magazine hf scores tops for their torque wrench, I was shocked. Now this was a budget friendly test, not unlimited funds, but based on the handymans needs

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 10-23-2017, 09:42 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
$12 right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HF-TW-Coupon.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	154861  

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:43 PM   #29
Who Dares, Wins

Good old weekly parking lot sales

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 10-23-2017, 09:52 PM   #30
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
Good advice. Another piece of advice (and I don't know if this is included in the instructions)is to always "click up" to the desired torque setting. In other words,if the desired setting is 100 pounds, click up to 100 from say 80-90 pounds. I was taught this in the military as well as in commercial aviation. Another thing taught was to exercise the spring by turning the wrench from a low serving to its highest setting occasionally.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:45 AM   #31
Tinkerer and Putterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterops1 View Post
I should have added in my earlier post,, use 6-point sockets!! The lug nut I messed up was done with a 12-point socket. As a previous poster said, he had used a spark plug socket. Wished I had purchased more 6-point sockets when I started buying Craftsman tools in 1969. I now make certain to have 6-points in my flyaway tool kit.
I tossed my 12 points into a hole. I'm too cheap to get rid of them completely, I might be able to use them to make a tool some time, but I never use them because they round off corners.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:19 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterops1 View Post
I should have added in my earlier post,, use 6-point sockets!! The lug nut I messed up was done with a 12-point socket. As a previous poster said, he had used a spark plug socket. Wished I had purchased more 6-point sockets when I started buying Craftsman tools in 1969. I now make certain to have 6-points in my flyaway tool kit.
That is why impact sockets are recommended. They are all 6 point. I still like the old fashioned beam torque wrench. Have one and still use it. I do like the torque sticks for doing lug nuts. Spot on every time.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:40 PM   #33
"Curmudgeon"

Send a message via MSN to Trawlerphil Send a message via Yahoo to Trawlerphil
I bought one of these and it works great.
https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-...ter-68283.html
Trawlerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:14 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I always use a torque wrench for lug nuts on all my vehicles and trailers however I don't usually carry one with me when I travel.

I always use a torque wrench for every fastener I install and that includes oil drain plugs. I have worked in some manufacturing environments and torque wrench use is the norm so it just follows into my home mechanical usage.

I use that same lug wrench that jimmoore13 uses from Walmart. I just make sure I use a torque wrench when I get home. Fortunately, I don't have to use it often.

I always use a torque wrench on the lugnuts before of my trailers before I head out on a trip. Seen too many people have sheared lug bolts or wheels that have come flying off.

BTW...never grease the threads. Torque values are for dry threads.
Thanks...good advice. Like you, I check my lug nuts often. My first wife was driving...following a trailer. One of the trailer wheels came off and, fortunately, bounced over her car...just dumb luck. Those behind her managed to avoid the bouncing tire, too.

I'm curious. On the occasions when you've done a "field repair", how far off are you compared to the torque wrench when you do it "by feel"? I suspect I over-tighten.

I've used one occasionally - for example to torque head bolts on an engine. I have no idea how close I come to manufacturer specs on things like lug nuts.

Again, good advice.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:26 PM   #35

I loosen when I get home and re torque. Most of the times when I have had to change a tire on the road, my next step is to get a new tire and they get retorqued with a torque wrench or torque bars at a tire store where I am replacing the tire at.

I just replaced 4 motor mounts on a Honda we have this weekend. Every fastener got torqued to the spec listed in the OEM factory manual.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
280, tire, tires