Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2017, 05:15 PM   #1

Zamp solar port

We have a 2017 Sunseeker 2800 GTS. Right now when on either shore or generator power both the coach and starter batteries are being charged. If I use the Zamp port to connect a solar maintainer panel will this also be the case or is the Zamp port hard wired to just the coach batteries?
Murphy55378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:19 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy55378 View Post
We have a 2017 Sunseeker 2800 GTS. Right now when on either shore or generator power both the coach and starter batteries are being charged. If I use the Zamp port to connect a solar maintainer panel will this also be the case or is the Zamp port hard wired to just the coach batteries?
Good question, I cannot answer that but make sure if you do use the Zamp plug either use the zamp panel or you need to reverse the + and - wires as Zamp is wired backwards from everyone else.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:09 PM   #3

Contacted Forest River and the solar port is wired only to the coach batteries.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:01 PM   #4

Hmmm.. Despite what FR told you (and they told me the same thing), I am experiencing a different outcome. I am sure that my solar battery maintainer hooked to the ZAmp outlet is charging both house and coach batteries.

How I determined this is as follows. I measured the voltage at both sets of batteries before plugging in the solar panel, the house batteries were at 12.2 volts and the coach battery was 12.3. Then, I plugged in the solar panel and again measured the voltage. Both sets of batteries showed 13.4 volts which means that the solar was charging both sets of batteries at the same time.

I have a 10 amp solar panel with a solar controller. I purchased this combo with the purpose of having a battery maintainer, not a battery charger.

One more thing... Check your polarity on your ZAmp port and your solar panel output. Contrary to what others have found out, I found that I did not have to buy the cross wiring cable because mine was wired correctly.
WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:56 PM   #5

That was my intent also was to use it as a maintainer while in storage. What brand panel did you get? How do I check polarity of the plug without blowing something up. I did just install a battery disconnect directly on the battery because I was having issues with batteries going from 12.7 to 12.2 volts within 2weeks even with the existing battery disconnect switch in the off position. I asked Forest River about this and one guy said that did not sound normal but he checked with someone else and he said that was normal, but I still don't believe them. They claim it is because the battery control center is constantly going out and checking the batteries to see if it needs to do something. They did send me some electrical drawings but they are so basic they are almost useless and do not show the Zamp port at all.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:29 PM   #6

I purchased a Schumacher solar panel from Amazon along with a controller and extension cable. I was mistaken before, I purchased a 15 watt panel, not 10 watt. I experienced the same voltage drop as you. When I first purchased my coach, in two weeks, the house batteries would go down to 11.7 volts with everything shut off. Now, they go down to 12.2 or 12.3 with the solar panel because I cannot mount the panel on top of my coach, I just lean it against the side.

To test for polarity, you need a Volt/Ohm meter. Generally, these meters read AC and DC voltages, plus resistance (ohms). My house batteries are under my entrance step and the ZAmp port is just outside the door. Setup the meter to read DC voltage. Then, by placing the negative lead from the meter to the negative side of a battery, you can easily determine which ZAmp lead is the positive one because it will read +12.x volts when touched by the positive lead from the meter, and the negative side will read zero. Similarly, by placing the negative lead from the meter again on the negative side of the battery, you can place your meter's positive lead on one of the leads from the solar controller, your results would be just like the testing the ZAmp port.
WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:37 PM   #7

Thanks Wayne that's a big help. I'm still trying to decide where to mount a panel. My MH faces south while in storage so my first thought is to prop it up inside the windshield to keep it out of the weather. My also may try suction cups to the outside of the windshield or magnets to the top of the hood. Lots of snow up here in the winter so inside would probably be my first choice.

Tags
solar