Old 01-11-2012, 11:26 PM   #31
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBBQ View Post
Do you have the authority to grant little hair on the top side? My wife would say a lot more hair but who's counting.
It is no accident my avatar is wearing a hat.

It is also covering my ears (which is where the hair on top went).

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

There are a few VERY dedicated "deadhead pilots" (the moderators) who are flying this bird on a day to day basis, while the AC and the copilot sleep off a long TDY.
Hey, who you calling a deadhead ??

As Garfield once said: "I resemble that !!"

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #33
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Hey, who you calling a deadhead ??
As Garfield once said: "I resemble that !!"
For the non-aviators; a "Deadhead pilot" is an extra (relief) pilot who is ON the mission flight authorization; but does not fill a primary crew position (Like aircraft commander or copilot). When any primary pilot needs (or wants) to leave the seat, the extra pilot "fills in" and has the same status as the primary crew member he relieves. If something goes wrong, if there is time, the "out of the seat" primary pilot is notified; brought up to speed on the issue; and takes over for the remainder of the emergency (or issue).

I thought the analogy was perfect.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 01-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #34
Hob

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
William,

As Janet said, we are just a bunch of camper folks just like you, banding together in an uncaring world to maybe help each other out of a jam.

I for one can't talk to my dealer (civilly) or FR unless I have a problem too big to fix in my driveway. I would no doubt have even less pull with your dealer.

I had enough of baby duck pushers in 33 years of Air Force duty to last a lifetime and I certainly won't put up with it for no pay. Stay civil, ask questions, but do remember the ANSWERS are voluntary. Any manufacturer reps or sales reps are here just to get ideas and sniff the breeze for trouble spots. They may help you; they may not.

My experience has been the more civil your writing tone, the more likely some one amazing will step out behind the curtain and help you out.

Just sayin'

Oh, and don't be surprised if after you drown a baby duck, no one talks to you any more. Oh, and I see you are from Belleville, IL. You aren't a REMF from AMC Headquartes at Scott AFB are you? Maybe that is where the baby duck drowning streak comes from.
Lou,

I guess some would call me a REMF. I was Chief of ATCALS maintenance for the last 8 years of my time in AMC. That was a fancy way of saying, "If it needs recertified, go do it and put your name on it." I hated it when pilots went into the ground within 10 mile of an AMC base. I was the one sent to certify or de-certify the ATCALS. My last big trick was to certify the ATCALS at Baghdad International when it opened. Telling the AMC/DO I had enough combat zone time and flights over Vietnam didn't stop him from insisting I go.

Other than that, I sat in my plushy chair and answered the phone, did the maintenance budget for all of the AMC bases, did the manning and training schedules for maintenance of ATCALS, supervised 6 civilian and 15 military special maintenance team members assigned to HQ AMC, and answered silly questions from Generals that wanted to know why ATCALS needed to have money to upgrade equipment because it didn't fly so it shouldn't break.

So yes, I was a REMF that supported Project X pilots.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #35
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hob View Post
So yes, I was a REMF that supported Project X pilots.
Planes don't keep flying by themselves and I highly regard those that kept me safely in the air. You just won't need those pugilistic HHQ learned skills here is all I am saying. Fighting for recognition as an arm chair warrior in a world of shooters (or flyers) is a skill you won't need on this forum.

Everyone here wants to help by default.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW