Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
Adventurer

Affiliation to Forest River Inc and relationship if any to IRV2

Curious how this forum is affiliated or related to Forest River Inc or IRV2.

Is there a formal relationship of any type between these entities?

Thanks.
Local Ohio CGs - West Branch SP
4kmprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Frf is privately owned fr has nothing to do with it.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #3

It has zero affiliation with Forest River.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
Adventurer

Thanks, How about IRV2? Assuming different modeartors and independent as well?
Old 05-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

If you scroll down to the bottom of the screen you will see a disclaimer:

"ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions."

Never heard of IRV2. Researching that one.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
If you scroll down to the bottom of the screen you will see a disclaimer:

"ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions."

Never heard of IRV2. Researching that one.
I believe IRV2 is maintained by the same company (Social Knowledge) who maintains this site. The look of IRV2 is very similar to this one. Whereas this forum is for FR products, IRV2 is for anyone who owns an RV of any make or model. They have many, many sub-categories for different manufacturers, type of RV, etc.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
Adventurer

Trudinator, Thanks for the reply

Just noticed the "Social Knowledge" link when following up on Herk's polite way of telling me I need to scroll to the bottom of the site to see the disclaimer.

I agree that IRV2 looks and feels very similar to FRF. Lurked around and agree also that is it less manufacturer specific but rather active as well. Upwards to 900 members on line at any given time too.

Good to know there are so many avenues for information.

bummed we haven't been out again in our new roo. Next trip is not until June.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Whoo Hoo! Out this weekend to NY!
I can believe we have only been out once so far this year

Last year this time we had almost 70 days camping.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #9

message for HERK,

I read thru your entire 50 page check list thesis, you forgot the following:
Stapler
Stapler Puller
Paper Clips
Scotch Tape
MSCRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kmprs View Post
curious how this forum is affiliated or related to forest river inc or irv2.

Is there a formal relationship of any type between these entities?

Thanks.
IRV2.COM seems to be linked to the FMCA Forum site I used my FMCR Log On and Password and it granted me access, hope this helps?
MSCRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #11
Too old to be too smart

The reason this forum "looks and feels" like iRV2 is that they both run on software called vBulletin, a product of Internet Brands. It's the most-common forum software out there, with literally tens of thousands of forums running on it.

That's a good thing for us forum users, as once you know how to "navigate" around a forum, you aren't likely to get "lost" on another one.

Pop

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3.73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #12
Site Team

Here's the scoop. As pointed out earlier Forest River Forums in not affiliated with Forest River Inc. The forum is member driven and while we have many Forest River dealers and employees who are registered members, they have no extra rights or privileges.

Forest River Forum is hosted and maintained by Social Knowledge Network which is a tiny little company owned by one guy who likes to camp. The very first SK forum was an Airstream forum which was put up in 2002 to help the owner fix his vintage Airstream - he needed info and couldn't find it on the web. As a recent graduate and computer wonk, a forum seemed like a natural way to get help. Over the years AIRforums.com grew and developed a reputation as a well run and fun forum.

Occasionally a forum owner needs to step back from a forum they set up and can no longer continue to host or sustain a community. When that happens, they either close the forum or find another entity to take up the reins. This is how Forest River forum came to Social Knowledge. You can see the first post by Mike Rimmer who was the founding admin here. Mike in recent years developed health issues and eventually stepped entirely away for FRF but it was important to him that this community was well cared for and that it would continue to grow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSCRESS View Post
IRV2.COM seems to be linked to the FMCA Forum site I used my FMCR Log On and Password and it granted me access, hope this helps?
iRV2 is not linked in any way to FMCA but perhaps you registered at each place using the same username/password combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post
The reason this forum "looks and feels" like iRV2 is that they both run on software called vBulletin, a product of Internet Brands. It's the most-common forum software out there, with literally tens of thousands of forums running on it.

That's a good thing for us forum users, as once you know how to "navigate" around a forum, you aren't likely to get "lost" on another one.

Pop
Both iRV2 and Forest River forum are using the same software as pointed out, but they are also hosted by Social Knowledge. SK forums all share a few things in common. They are managed by members and evolve to meet member needs, rather than a manufacturers agenda. They are moderated and emphasis is placed on helpful content heavy posts and a polite and cordial atmosphere.

Over the years since that very first Airstream Forum Social Knowledge has grown from one small forum to a small network of niche communities on fun topics. Members helping members is the cornerstone of all these forums and this the very same thing that makes Forest River Forum so awesome.
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Whoo Hoo! Out this weekend to NY!
I can believe we have only been out once so far this year

Last year this time we had almost 70 days camping.
Just goes to show you that you are slipping, just like the rest of us.

Hope you have fun, which no doubt you will. Be careful.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #14
Anacortesians

The two sites look similar because they use the same Bulletin Board software. I also subscribe toe a Windows bulletin board (Windows BBS) that looks vwry similar apart from the colors.

The header structure and the way the commands work are common to all three. The third RV web-site I read is RV.net, and it uses different BB software.

We haven't been out yet this season. DW had rotator cuff surgery in late April and still has a sling on for another 3 weeks, plus several weeks of therapy to go. We may get a short trip in late June, just across to the Olympic Peninsula. It will probably be September before we take our regular 2 or 3 weeks away.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Here's the scoop. As pointed out earlier Forest River Forums in not affiliated with Forest River Inc. The forum is member driven and while we have many Forest River dealers and employees who are registered members, they have no extra rights or privileges.

If I look at the online users to the right of the page, I see the corporate members names highlighted same as the moderators. I am not challenging what you are saying, just that the optics may indicate otherwise.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
If I look at the online users to the right of the page, I see the corporate members names highlighted same as the moderators. I am not challenging what you are saying, just that the optics may indicate otherwise.

I see how that could be misleading... We have badged their accounts so that members know who they are and can ask them questions as needed. They are often extremely knowledgeable and can be a huge asset. Having members who may have a commercial affiliation with a product labeled also helps insure that members know that they may have a commercial interest in the product they are discussing.

We have placed restrictions on the ways industry pros can post (no soliciting) and you can find that in our community rules

Here's the bit that pertains to them:

Quote:
Commercial Parties (For-profit companies and Industry professionals): The forum does not discourage nor endorse any commercial entity and is not intended for soliciting business. Our purpose is sharing knowledge so others can benefit. Forest River Forums may, at it's discretion, grant vendor account status to industry professionals who are already members in good standing. Authorized commercial participants must adhere to all the forum policies including these specifically set out for commercial participants.
  • Members who have a commercial interest in participating in our community will be identified as commercial vendors at our discretion. We enforce a very strict policy regarding solicitation of our membership by commercial participants.
  • Commercial vendors may not quote prices in any forum.
  • Commercial vendors may not use any section of the forum to discuss their products or services unless answering a direct question and even in this case vendors may not quote prices.
  • Commercial vendors may place a (1) link to their company website in their signature line (font size 2).
Most of the bolded names you see are the site team - moderators and admins. They're easier to find this way.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #17

Quote:
I see how that could be misleading... We have badged their accounts so that members know who they are and can ask them questions as needed. They are often extremely knowledgeable and can be a huge asset. Having members who may have a commercial affiliation with a product labels also helps insure that members know that they may have a commercial interest in the product they are discussing.

We have placed restrictions on the ways industry pros can post (no soliciting) and you can find that in our community rules

Here's the bit that pertains to them:

Most of the bolded names you see are the site team - moderators and admins. They're easier to find this way.

I suspected and am aware of same, but thought I would just draw some attention to it. Good clarification Janet.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 05-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Rugged, the corporate members (Forest River representatives) are given the bolder print usernames by our admins as they become known as representatives. That is by choice of the forum.....not Forest River. Some of the newer Forest River reps are still not in bold print, as we are still sorting out who is a rep or not.....sometimes they do not identify themselves as such when joining up.

We are fortunate that we have reps on board, to answer specific questions when needed.

Oops, I was composing this as Janet was answering.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
I suspected and am aware of same, but thought I would just draw some attention to it. Good clarification Janet.

Your point is well taken though - I changed up the color of commercial members usernames just a little to help find them in the online list. They are a little lighter colored now.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Your point is well taken though - I changed up the color of commercial members usernames just a little to help find them in the online list. They are a little lighter colored now.

Cool,,,,,,
2019 FR Vibe 28RL

Tags
led pad