Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2019, 08:37 PM   #1

Bathroom motion sensor light

The motion sensor light in the bathroom is also is controlling the overhead light. That's fine during the day, but showing at night becomes a blind affair after a couple of minutes. Is it wired wrong or is there some way I can bypass that function? The overhead light will not come on independently of the motion light.
Guthriewoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:09 PM   #2
Site Team

Can you tell us which RV you have?
Also can you post a picture of the lights?

Does any part of the motion light press in?
Is there a local switch on the ceiling light?
Old 11-19-2019, 01:33 PM   #3

Forest River Cherokee Limited WK274. The motion light does not have a way to deactivate it (no button or switch). The overhead light is an LED with a button centered in the dome that will allow you to turn it off independently of the motion light, but not on independent of the motion light. The motion light controls the duration of the lighting in the bathroom whether alone or in concert with the dome light.

I'm not at the RV so no pics handy.
Guthriewoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 03:42 PM   #4
Site Team

We've seen a few of these motion light issue threads recently.
I guess they decided that people wouldn't want to control the lights aside from the motion detector. I'd probably try to bypass or parallel a switch to the motion detector light.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:58 AM   #5

Hi

This is the Amazon Canadian site but there has to be an equivalent part on the US site.

https://www.amazon.ca/Motion-Infrared-Automatic-Corridor-Detector/dp/B07RCY6JSC/ref=sr_1_12?gclid=Cj0KCQiA5dPuBRCrARIsAJL7oehc684_ qd309qKZiA6Z6Y2NZpEiFP1ICf2BgwSNLreY-s1QlyUz9DgaAvDfEALw_wcB&hvadid=284074791090&hvdev= c&hvlocphy=1002471&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvra nd=9410094310296496739&hvtargid=kwd-313582235411&hydadcr=27382_10624467&keywords=12+vo lt+motion+sensor+switch&qid=1574258062&sr=8-12
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
We've seen a few of these motion light issue threads recently.
I guess they decided that people wouldn't want to control the lights aside from the motion detector. I'd probably try to bypass or parallel a switch to the motion detector light.

What they probably decided was the fixture without a switch was $0.05 cheaper than the one with a switch.
Feel Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:42 AM   #7

We have a Cherokee 274rk on a permanent spot at a lake lot. Had it taken down there by the dealer and just recently opened it up to start setting it.up...and while putting things away in the bathroom I realized there is no switch except the light in the ceiling and it does not appear to be a motion light ( no eye) what am I missing? I'm short and can't reach the light, and grandkids can't either
Debbyinkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:53 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbyinkc View Post
We have a Cherokee 274rk on a permanent spot at a lake lot. Had it taken down there by the dealer and just recently opened it up to start setting it.up...and while putting things away in the bathroom I realized there is no switch except the light in the ceiling and it does not appear to be a motion light ( no eye) what am I missing? I'm short and can't reach the light, and grandkids can't either
It's common for them to just use the switch on the fixture as the only switch and if you're vertically challenged, it can be a pain to reach.

I just looked at the 360º view in the bath of that unit and there is no wall switch. It might be possible to have a switch installed beside the corner cabinet, and run the wire above the ceiling and down the wall hiding it behind the cabinet. That doesn't look too difficult for someone that's handy with electrical.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthriewoof View Post
The motion sensor light in the bathroom is also is controlling the overhead light. That's fine during the day, but showing at night becomes a blind affair after a couple of minutes. Is it wired wrong or is there some way I can bypass that function? The overhead light will not come on independently of the motion light.
Has anyone found a solution to this. We are also new to our 23MK and this is the second time we've been out and this bathroom light is ABSOLUTELY the dumbest idea I have ever seen. Is there a way to bypass this crap without making the existing spot look junky? I really want to get rid of this motion switch.
SeabrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:42 AM   #10

Did you check the fixture/s for a small switch.
My motion sensing lights all have a switch for off/on/sensing
Curt Q20

zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:22 PM   #11

No, these are the same lights as the rest of the cab. They have the button to turn off or on, just like the original poster said. They can only be turned on if the motion sensor senses motion.
Old 06-07-2020, 03:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthriewoof View Post

This forum has a LIBRARY of about every appliance, Electrical, Plumbing, and more with drawings and information. CLICK Link-local items select and download what you need its all FREE.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/downloads.php
Old 06-07-2020, 10:02 PM   #13
Take The Road Less Travld

I just picked up my Cherokee yesterday. I noticed the motion sensor option when I first entered the bathroom. I do know at least in my 2020 model, they have the option for you to turn off the overhead light using the center push button on the light to manually turn it off. Then only the motion light will power on.
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddauberE View Post
I just picked up my Cherokee yesterday. I noticed the motion sensor option when I first entered the bathroom. I do know at least in my 2020 model, they have the option for you to turn off the overhead light using the center push button on the light to manually turn it off. Then only the motion light will power on.
Yes, on my 2020 Grey Wolf 23MK, it is the same. Wait until, your using the bathroom and the light goes off. Not fun at night!
Old 07-01-2020, 06:20 PM   #15

We just picked up our 2021 Grey Wolf 25RRTBL and we have the same problem with the bathroom sensor light. Hopefully someone has a solution to showering in the dark. The light sensor doesn’t have any buttons and there isn’t any switch in the bathroom either.
Daddyray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, light, roo