Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 01:16 PM   #1

Civility

I've spent a lot of time on these forums in the last two days after being away for a while. It sure seems like people are getting more and more rude to each other. Snide and snotty responses seem to appear more and more. These of course generate nasty responses back.

What can we do to get back to being more civil to each other about a subject that is supposed to be FUN?

The admins shouldn't have to be deleting messages and warning users all the time.

Here's one example:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ge-148065.html

Here's another, starting with #61:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-147667-7.html
Old 11-09-2017, 02:00 PM   #2

Unfortunately, this seems to be the case all over the internet these days and it's getting worse. Whether it's forums, social media, or comments on news articles, etc, people for some reason think it's okay to "speak" to others differently then they would if the person was standing in front of them. Anything having to do with politics seems to be the worst right now.

I even cringe sometimes when reading the light hearted "Things you see in an RV Park" topic. Some of the comments making fun of other peoples campers or vehicles are downright rude. I always wonder what if the photo that people are making fun of turns out to be a member. Some setups may not look nice or suit the taste of others, but if it's what the people like or can afford, etc, and isn't a danger, then it is what it is.

Some of the comments remind me of a bunch of school bullies standing around making fun of another kids clothes or whatever.

Ray
US Navy Veteran
Old 11-09-2017, 02:04 PM   #3
Always Learning

Generally speaking, this is a seasonality thing: it's winter and sadly, this place gets uglier as it gets colder.

And, unfortunately- you have some personalities that just clash and mix about as well as oil and water. I've had my issues in the past. More recently- I'm really liberal with the "Ignore Person" and "Ignore Thread". The latter is an absolute God-send. I ignore a thread and promptly forget about it!
Old 11-09-2017, 02:06 PM   #4
Broken Toe

I can attest that the moderators (or at least a couple of them) watch things like a hawk. I can show you the list of times they jumped my butt over me being "less than nice" even when a sharp, pointed and "less than nice" answer was the best one for some sort of foolishness.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Old 11-09-2017, 02:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Generally speaking, this is a seasonality thing: it's winter and sadly, this place gets uglier as it gets colder.

And, unfortunately- you have some personalities that just clash and mix about as well as oil and water. I've had my issues in the past. More recently- I'm really liberal with the "Ignore Person" and "Ignore Thread". The latter is an absolute God-send. I ignore a thread and promptly forget about it!
Ah yes winter is coming, . PS: somebody told me your a moderator now Doug is that true?..

Old 11-09-2017, 02:24 PM   #6

See it all the time. I will not ask a question here. Too many jerks think they're God's gift to RVing. It is a useful place though which is why I keep coming back. Lots to learn here if you can sift through the snark.
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
Old 11-09-2017, 02:27 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
PS: somebody told me your a moderator now Doug is that true?..
Oh HELLS-TO-THE-NO. I'll never moderator a RV forum again. Too much babysitting grown adults.

I'd rather get a tongue tattoo!
Old 11-09-2017, 02:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Ah yes winter is coming, . PS: somebody told me your a moderator now Doug is that true?..
Either that or a Vender! Bold Highlight is for Something! Youroo!!
Old 11-09-2017, 02:43 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Either that or a Vender! Bold Highlight is for Something! Youroo!!
Yup- bold for vendor for my site/blog learntorv.com.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:01 PM   #10

I see snappy comments too. Most of the time these snappy answers are not intended to hurt feelings...I don't think. I have been accused of giving a short snappy answer and I assure you it was never intended that way. I have too much respect for others to be hateful unless some provocation is given. I have said before that people are different and try to add that in the equation when deciding if a response was intended to be hateful. Like Edad if needed I just try to ignore. Best policy.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Old 11-09-2017, 03:11 PM   #11

Have there been people like that....YES ! Are there people like that...YES ! Will there be people like that...YES ! Haven't we all, at some time or another been that person ?...probably...YES ! We are all individuals, we all have opinions...just like we all have....you know whats...best we can do, lend a hand when a hand is needed, express an opinion, but expect others will not go along with it...then move on.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:15 PM   #12
Insert witty title here

I think most of the rude comments are really just an attempt at humor. Out here in internet land we don't have the ability to see the facial expression or the tone of voice of whomever we are communicating with which greatly increases the occurrence of misunderstandings.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
Old 11-09-2017, 03:54 PM   #13
Just as confused as you

If it's an attempt at humor then the author should use the emojis that are on the side of the reply panel when you click on the "Go Advanced" at the bottom of the quick reply.

I may be wrong, but I have gathered, by some of the comments, that those who use the smartphone app don't have that option. I know a lot of people use the app so you just have to be forgiving of some replies and the ones reading the posts need to read the whole post. I've seen many times that people will say "oh, sorry I missed that part".

Life's too short to get upset over the little things.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Old 11-09-2017, 04:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
I think most of the rude comments are really just an attempt at humor. Out here in internet land we don't have the ability to see the facial expression or the tone of voice of whomever we are communicating with which greatly increases the occurrence of misunderstandings.
So true! I agree that the internet can be a non-emotional communicating voice. Knowing the sound of another's voice and how they respond, react, or comprehend is essential to correct responding, but usually not something that is afforded to those of social forums. Usually an Avatar, or not, is the only depiction of the person.

Thankfully there are thousands of acronyms, and also Emoticons, that we can use ( and necessitated ) to depict and express our comments, humor, etc. We all like a good laugh! But, unfortunately in cyber world, we have to show it as well.

Without them, it's up in the air as to how another deciphers or conveys the intended / rec'd messages. Be it good , bad , or ugly . That's my .02.

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Old 11-09-2017, 04:27 PM   #15
Censored Member

Civility is in the eye of the beholder. Some folks are just more sensitive than others. All I can say is, suck it up buttercup. Just kidding.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:57 PM   #16

Most of us who frequent forums just shrug it off. Its the newbies that can get easily scared off if they come for help and get lambasted right out of the gate.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:59 PM   #17
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManlyMan View Post
Civility is in the eye of the beholder. Some folks are just more sensitive than others. All I can say is, suck it up buttercup. Just kidding.
I just did and it was not a pleasant taste or experience.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Old 11-09-2017, 05:37 PM   #18

Those of us who grew up on "Father Knows Best" and "Ozzie and Harriet" have a very different worldview than those who grew up on Jerry Springer and conflict-ridden "Reality shows"

My Dad used to say "Civility is a very thin veneer covering a primal beast". Time has proven his wisdom.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:54 PM   #19
Site Team

Most of the time rude post are reported to the site team by our members. Don't know of any site team member who goes out looking for it. We would rather be helping others.
One thing you can count on is We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate any rudeness.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 11-09-2017, 06:41 PM   #20

I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE POST THEIR COMMENTS IN CAPS. IT'S AS IF THEY'RE YELLING AT PEOPLE.

In all honesty, I haven't been to that other more "mainstream" RV forum site since the CEO asked me not to shop in his businesses. I find I have rather enjoyed that because I always thought most folks there were by far the rudest of any forums I'm a member of. This forum is the best in my opinion.
Closed Thread