Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2015, 05:42 PM   #21

got firefox up and running....had a lil trouble to start [not being the sharpest knife in the drawer!] but once i doubleclicked the desk top icon and chose firefox as default browser [my lower toolbar still shows the IE icon there if i choose to use it], and now my slowness trubs with this site seem to be over....THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTIONS.
2016 miles and nights
feb. 380/7......march 540/3
deebarjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:26 PM   #22

Firefox

Suggestion here.
After you install Firefox and AdBlock Plus install NoScript
NoScript keeps bad java script from running. The only issue I have seen is that it blocks websites until you allow them.
Example:
You open the Forum here and you can't do anything with it. There is an "Options" box on the bottom of the screen. Click on that and all of the web sites and sub sites are shown. You need to allow the main site like forestriverforums dot com. For the parts of the page that need to function, open the list again and start allowing items one by one and see what happens. If things work, good. If it has no effect, go back and forbid that site. Watch out for googlesyndication, doubleclick, googletagservice and others that are tracking sites that drop cookies that you do not want to run. If you are not sure what a web site does, goggle it and check out the results. Firefox has good help and support pages as well as noscript.
I've used this almost ten years and have yet to get a nasty in my computer between these and the antivirus program.

Hope this helps.

Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:19 PM   #23

My suggestion is to always have at least 2 different browsers on your computer. I have had IE get attacked by a virus and was able to delete my copy and install a new one by using Firefox.
Fkaske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 12:31 AM   #24

Well I just need to chime in here. I think the site is fine. I have been a member for about 3 years and have never had an issue with speed or pop up adds. Pages load in less than a second. I don't use the App. I use the full website.

Now, I do use an iPad with adaquet RAM (64G). I have never had to delete cookies or history so I think your issues are (here it goes) PC related.

I grew up on PCs and said I would never go Apple but since I went Apple I will never go back to PC. PCs are just to darn slow overall. IE, Foxfire, Chrome, Ad blocker phew...

IMHO this site is running fine. If this site was running as slow as some posters say, I would not continue to use it, no matter how good,the content is.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I don't think so.. Cudos to the site administrators...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 05:31 AM   #25

I use the Chrome browser with the following extensions: ABP (add block plus) - Disconnect - and uBlock Origin. Each extension blocks many different non wanted items. As a plus, when I'm camping and using my data plan they save a considerable amount of data. Well worth checking them out to see if they also will work on Firefox.

Fred n Wilma
2017 Ford F-150 EcoBoost
2015 Crusader 295RST
Fred H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:31 AM   #26

While advertising can be annoying at times, it is what pays for the Forum to be here. As it has been said, "There is no such thing as a free lunch." How many would like this to change to a paid membership activity?
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:38 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHanke View Post
While advertising can be annoying at times, it is what pays for the Forum to be here. As it has been said, "There is no such thing as a free lunch." How many would like this to change to a paid membership activity?
I would be more than willing to pay for my membership here if it would do away with all of the advertising and cookies. I belong to Shotguns and more Shotguns! ShotgunWorld.com is your best source for Remington, Beretta, and Mossberg Shotgun information where I think it is $20.00 per year for a membership with no advertising. It is well worth it to me. I do read complaints there from non-paying members about problems caused by advertising. I have no problems there.

I give my vote for a paid membership option.

Bruce
Old 10-18-2015, 08:14 AM   #28

I have no pop ups or ads I just set IE to in private browsing and no more ads. Works for me and works on other sites also. Use CCleaner and herdprotect for cleanup before shutting down computer and windows defender for antivirus.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:39 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHanke View Post
how do other forums ...and i belong to five...manage their revenue producing ads, without creating annoying delays while reloading...all the other forums i visit have changing ads.

maybe owners of this site could do a little investigating and see how not to be annoying.

gotta say tho...firefox has totally made this a non issue. firefox was not needed cruising the other sites. end of discussion for me.
2016 miles and nights
feb. 380/7......march 540/3
deebarjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:27 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebarjay View Post
just googled firefox....no negatives on it.... so do you have to uninstall IE ?... how does it work after installing... can click either browser or firefox becomes default ?.
I've been using Firefox for years, and am very pleased with it. Be sure to download it ONLY from its creator, The Mozilla Foundation. Downloading from other sites guarantees having junk added on.

Put the cursor in the empty blue area at the top, right click and check Menu Bar and Bookmarks Toolbar. Your menu will now appear at the top.

Click "tools" then "options". In there, you can choose whether to make Firefox your default browser and how it opens. Go to "content" and set "block popup windows". Browse all the options pages to set things how you want them.

Click "bookmarks" then "show all bookmarks". The library opens. Click "import and backup" then "import data..." to import your bookmarks from internet explorer.

Disabling Shockwave Flash kills many of the forum-slowing video ads. Click "tools" then "add-ons". The add-on manager opens. Click "plugins" and set Shockwave Flash to "ask to activate". When there is a shockwave flash video uploaded by a forum user, it will ask if you want to enable it. Click it and select "now", and it will load just for that video.
johntaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:39 PM   #31

I use Firefox and once in a while Chrome. I have no ad or speed problems with this site.
Reb Kitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:55 PM   #32

I use Chrome, at home and work, Adblock and Privacy Badger.
Never see any ads. On my iPad going through the website and not the iPad app, inundated with all kinds of junk!
So here is good and the app is good for no ads, and I HATE the auto load video ads ANYPLACE!
Tdbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:11 PM   #33
2012 Solera

Forum speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdbrn View Post
On my iPad going through the website and not the iPad app, inundated with all kinds of junk!
Try turning off JavaScript. Settings, Sahara, Advanced, JavaScript, switch to off. Works great on my iPad.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:18 AM   #34

I use Chrome and AdBlock Pro. It helps.
OBX Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:28 AM   #35
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I would be more than willing to pay for my membership here if it would do away with all of the advertising and cookies. I belong to Shotguns and more Shotguns! ShotgunWorld.com is your best source for Remington, Beretta, and Mossberg Shotgun information where I think it is $20.00 per year for a membership with no advertising. It is well worth it to me. I do read complaints there from non-paying members about problems caused by advertising. I have no problems there.

I give my vote for a paid membership option.

Bruce
Just for you that could be arranged maybe couple hundred a year Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:21 AM   #36
Site Team

I have more problems on the tablet than anywhere else. The biggest thing seems to be the autostart video ads.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:08 PM   #37
Canadian Full Timer

I have used Firefox for many years now and have no complaints. I also use Adblock Plus and am happy with that free program also. No issues with this forum but I may try what @aceinspp advises and change the login in location in my Bookmarks.
Cherokeerose is offline   Reply With Quote