Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2018, 07:41 PM   #1
Site Team

Angry Flikr is being acquired by SmugMug

I just received the email I've copied here.

Begin Copy:

We’re excited to announce that Flickr has agreed to be acquired by SmugMug, the photography platform dedicated to visual storytellers.

SmugMug has a long history of empowering people who love photography and who want to improve their craft, making them a perfect fit for Flickr and our creative community. With SmugMug, we’ll continue to focus on you, the Flickr members who inspire us all with your work.

Nothing will change immediately with regard to your Flickr account. You will still access Flickr with your current login credentials and you will have the same Flickr experience as you do now. We will continue to work to make your Flickr experience even better.

We think you are going to love Flickr under SmugMug ownership, but you can choose to not have your Flickr account and data transferred to SmugMug until May 25, 2018. If you want to keep your Flickr account and data from being transferred, you must go to your Flickr account to download the photos and videos you want to keep, then delete your account from your Account Settings by May 25, 2018.

If you do not delete your account by May 25, 2018, your Flickr account and data will transfer to SmugMug and will be governed by SmugMug’s Terms and Privacy Policy.

Read more detailed FAQs about this transition on the Flickr Blog.

We’re happy that Flickr is your home for photography and we look forward to the next chapter in our adventure together as we join the SmugMug family.

Thanks,
The Flickr Team

:End Copy

If you have photos hosted on Flikr and do not wish to transition to SmugMug please note you have a limited time frame to download your photos and get out of Flikr...
Old 04-20-2018, 08:02 PM   #2
Always Learning

Hmmm, I need to check on SmugMug. I have something like 17,000 photos on Flickr.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:09 PM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

Unfortunately free cannot always be free. I do not know much about smug mug.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:20 PM   #4

I have been with SmugMug for over 6 years - their hosting service is worth every penny! My only Niggle with them is they only allow JPG so I am having to upload all my RAW files to my Amazon account for Archive purposes.

BTW, if you are a moderately serious Photographer, you really need to check out Luminar from Skylum: https://skylum.com/luminar

Later this year they will be including DAM (Digital Asset Management - think Lightroom) in their software AND you will not have to pay the outrageous annyual cloud fees charged by Adobe!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:57 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
I have been with SmugMug for over 6 years - their hosting service is worth every penny!
So just how much is "every penny"? I've been Flikr Pro for years and pay around $30 annually....

I archive my .raw files, and all my photos, to a pair of 2TB Seagate hard drives anyway...
Old 04-21-2018, 10:40 AM   #6

SmugMug is a great, family-run company. I used to work with the founder/CEO back in the '90s when we were both still quite young and I'm happy that he and his family have had such great success.

I used to use SmugMug for my photos but I stopped doing as much photography (Getting back into it again) so I stopped using SmugMug and just stuck with Flickr, which has worked out well.

SmugMug has said they're not going to get rid of the free option or make any changes to it "at this time." We all know that means things can change down the road, but hopefully SmugMug and Flickr Pro accounts will make up for the expenses associated with the free accounts (Storage is super cheap these days). I have no plans to dump Flickr and am interested in seeing where it goes.

I know folks are afraid of change, but give it a chance. The MacAskill family is awesome.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:02 AM   #7

Photobucket - here we come!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post

So you want to have your photos held hostage unless you pay a ransom? [emoji23][emoji15]
Old 04-21-2018, 12:28 PM   #9
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
I have been with SmugMug for over 6 years - their hosting service is worth every penny! My only Niggle with them is they only allow JPG so I am having to upload all my RAW files to my Amazon account for Archive purposes.

BTW, if you are a moderately serious Photographer, you really need to check out Luminar from Skylum: https://skylum.com/luminar

Later this year they will be including DAM (Digital Asset Management - think Lightroom) in their software AND you will not have to pay the outrageous annyual cloud fees charged by Adobe!
Luminar looks interesting, but I am too heavily invested in Topaz Studio, Lightroom, PS and DxO to be worth switching. As for Flickr, I'm taking the wait and see approach. I only upload JPGs with a max resolution of 1024 x 768 so there is no great loss if it goes south. Been with FLickr since '06 so I hope Smugmug can return it to its former glory.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:43 PM   #10

Quote:

Luminar has been promsising DAM for 2 versions now. They promised it in the previous version but didn’t deliver. After paying again for an upgrade, they still are promising DAM. When MacPhun changed to Skylum and tried to develop for Windows they ended up spreading their resources too thin and we Mac users suffer the results. Not quite sure what’s worse, annual cloud membership fees or annual upgrade costs withfeatures promised but not delivered.
jemcbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:19 PM   #11

SmugMug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemcbride View Post
Luminar has been promsising DAM for 2 versions now. They promised it in the previous version but didn’t deliver. After paying again for an upgrade, they still are promising DAM. When MacPhun changed to Skylum and tried to develop for Windows they ended up spreading their resources too thin and we Mac users suffer the results. Not quite sure what’s worse, annual cloud membership fees or annual upgrade costs withfeatures promised but not delivered.
I don't like SmugMug. Loved Flickr. Bummer.
twdenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:53 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
A quick read says their T&C are not worse that flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cdrdwd/albums
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:03 PM   #13

I’ve been with SmugMug for probably 10 years now and have been extremely happy with it.
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:04 PM   #14

After photobucket went crazy and wanted way too much for their service I switched over to SmugMug and their 5.99/month service. So far it’s been good. It’s too bad photobucked chose the route they did as their iPhone app was great.
2013 Cardinal 3030RLS - sold
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
So you want to have your photos held hostage unless you pay a ransom? [emoji23][emoji15]
No. My point was: Smugmug will be going the way of Photobucket soon.

To quote: "SmugMug has said they're not going to get rid of the free option or make any changes to it "at this time."

Old 04-21-2018, 11:34 PM   #16

Quote:
No. My point was: Smugmug will be going the way of Photobucket soon.

Highly doubtful. SmugMug isn’t some messed up company with a poor business plan and negative cash flow. I know the MacAskills and they run a great company. I wish people would give them the benefit of the doubt instead of assuming the worst is going to happen.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
Highly doubtful. SmugMug isn’t some messed up company with a poor business plan and negative cash flow. I know the MacAskills and they run a great company. I wish people would give them the benefit of the doubt instead of assuming the worst is going to happen.
I hope you're right. But I'm highly skeptical.

Doesn't matter how wonderful the people involved are. They're in business to make money. If the current business plan doesn't work out, they'll either shutdown or change the plan. Enough of these type of websites have gone under or started charging - that's what makes me skeptical.

MHO.

Old 04-21-2018, 11:47 PM   #18

Flikr is being acquired by SmugMug

Quote:
I hope you're right. But I'm highly skeptical. Nothing can be free forever. MHO.

Flickr isn’t all free. Yes, there are free accounts but many people pay for Flickr Pro. SmugMug’s own services are all paid services. Clearly they think they can make it work without disrupting or alienating users, so I’m just saying give them a chance.

No use jumping ship today because you think it could sink tomorrow. [emoji6]

SmugMug has been around for 16 years and is a private company, they have no shareholders to report to or appease. I think they’re doing a pretty good job of running a business.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:19 PM   #19

Those who want to change may wish to look at Zenfolio. I have used it for several years. The annual fee is based on the level of account. You can upload raw files for storage. Easy setup for gallery viewing.
Captn.Ken is offline   Reply With Quote