Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2017, 06:28 PM   #1

FR Ice houses

Hello Admins,

I am wondering if we can start a new thread specifically for Ice houses. As this year is the 1st year FR has advertised them not just for ice fishing there are many unique things I have learned. New axles plumbing needs etc. These are not your standard cold weather TT.

So many things a person can do to make life easier and many I learned here. Many I learned working closely with FR, warranty and as they told me I am the guinea pig as not many use them to go more than a few to a few hundred miles and park it on the lake for the winter.

Just a thought but these will become more and more popular for folks like me who enjoy places Like Silverton Colorado in January or the north woods.

Your thoughts and all of you are big helps in my learning curve. But when I tear into the wall or something to make a mod or repair there are surprises that other not so cold tolerant TT's have.

I have been in 60 below with this outfit.

Other than learning patience when parts are specific and you cannot get in most places, I have learned allot. Please be lenient with my typos etc as I suffer chemical exposure in the military and my tremors make it hard to write nicely.
TonyShope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:35 PM   #2
Site Team

Start a new thread? ....
I think you just did.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:22 PM   #3

Post pictures
Old 04-04-2017, 07:12 AM   #4
Site Team

I think Tony is talking about adding a subsection for the ice houses, and not necessarily a singular thread. It's just a terminology thing.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:39 AM   #5

Does your IH have a A/C unit? Does it have Holding Tanks,Black,Fresh,Gray,? Awning? Youroo!!
Old 04-04-2017, 08:49 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Does your IH have a A/C unit? Does it have Holding Tanks,Black,Fresh,Gray,? Awning? Youroo!!

Looking through the specifications, it appears that 5 of them come with no holding tanks at all. 2 of them have small holding tanks. Awnings are optional. I didn't see AC units for any of them though.

Wildwood True North Ice Lodge Travel Trailers by Forest River RV
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:18 AM   #7

They set on the ice and you fish thru the floor of them. Thus an oversized furnace and no need for AC I think.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Yes on all. Black water tank is separate 6 gallon slide out, toilet is a manual fill hand pumped. Has all the conveniences of most but all the plumbing, wiring is different to prevent it from condensation & freezing. Heater will heat to 120 F in -30F . Modifications should be made to toilet, black tank to heat them. I am going to be mobile 4 more days then I will remove the 2nd bed and show what I learned as far as keeping water water on the ice or cold.

Trailer sits on its frame rather than jacks. I will post a ton of pictures this weekend for everyone to see. I can be 4 days off grid and maintain heat, light and tv operating 16 hours a day. Has solar hookups in which I just ordered some. I will organize my thought on it again this weekend. I have at least 30 pages of notes and my friend used a thermal image scanner to figure exact wiring.

Talk soon Tony
Old 04-05-2017, 04:26 AM   #9

Thanks Tony for the reply,I am Somewhat familiar with these "Ice Cabins" being a Snowmobiler! There are several MFG producing them now,even "YETTI" cooler/coffee makes them! My big concern is the "Independent Lift Axle Setup" for LONG distance use,mostly in regards to "Alignment and Suspension" verses more "Conventional Axle/Suspension"! Youroo!!
Old 04-12-2017, 01:15 PM   #10

I have a bunch of pictures and things to learn. When I try to upload a photo it wants a URL. The pictures are on my computer how do I upload?
Old 04-12-2017, 01:22 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyShope View Post
I have a bunch of pictures and things to learn. When I try to upload a photo it wants a URL. The pictures are on my computer how do I upload?
Detailed instructions here:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...html#post49621
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote