Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2019, 12:23 PM   #1
Bob414

Giving OP permission to Closes their Threads

Can you consider giving the OP the ability to Closes their threads, when the question/problem has been answered or miss stated in their original thread. I have seen many threads that were answered many times and then the thread hijacked. Or just become opinion discussions on Black and White questions.

The OP created the thread and should have know when answered or otherwise needs to be closed.

Bob
Retired Electrical Engineer
Bob414 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob414 View Post
Can you consider giving the OP the ability to Closes their threads, when the question/problem has been answered or miss stated in their original thread. I have seen many threads that were answered many times and then the thread hijacked. Or just become opinion discussions on Black and White questions.

The OP created the thread and should have know when answered or otherwise needs to be closed.

Bob
Only the moderators have the power to close or lock threads.
They do a pretty good job when things go haywire.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:30 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:

Bob
Howdy Bob414, maybe we can understand why this may not work, as it assumes that OP's would monitor their own threads.... which many times they do not even acknowledge any advice or solutions helped them. Just pick any subtopic then start reading the threads to see if the OP came back in posts. However, others with similar problems may learn or utilize the information in the thread. We don't consider threads to just be for the OP only.

The site team has a certain criteria we try to follow, and keep off topic postings or complete thread hijacks away from a thread UNTIL it has been solved/ answered. Then conversations may wander unless they become disruptive or against the site guidelines, which we will close.

If the OP wants a thread closed, all they have to do is contact a site team member with the request, and we can see if it can be accommodated. This just pertains to closing threads, not deleting them.

A thread deletion is very rare, as it would have to be a very serious thing for the site team to do such, as it would be a waste of effort for those members who took time out of their lives to try and help a fellow member. This is why we try to keep dealer/customer disputes off our forums...as we get many who then want us to delete such after they get what they want. These type threads will not be deleted, as it involved other members time and efforts, which we value immensely. So it's best to not post those type threads to begin with, as they will stay here once other members efforts have been tasked upon.

We have a great community here, who are good about self-policing threads and reporting concerns to the site team. If you have a thread that may be best to be closed, just contact me or any of the site team.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:47 PM   #4

OP.... This only works on an individual member basis, but I use it a lot with threads that dont apply and I dont want to keep seeing...... THREAD TOOLS>>>> Ignore This Thread. This will keep those unwanted posts from showing on your screen.

and yes, you can ignore your own thread with this tool.

Thread tools tab just above OP, just below "Post Reply" . So the post is still floating around out there but you dont know it or have to see it any more.

G
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 04:31 PM   #5
D W

X2 what wmtire said.

To some folks with a problem, not everything is black and white.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:32 PM   #6
Bob414

As was in my original post

The OP created the thread and should know when it is answered or otherwise needs to be closed.

I still think this holds true! At least I now know, I can ask a moderator to close my threads.

Bob
Retired Electrical Engineer
Bob414 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:37 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:

The OP created the thread and should know when it is answered or otherwise needs to be closed.

I still think this holds true! At least I now know, I can ask a moderator to close my threads.

Bob
But as wmtire wrote: moderators won’t always close them.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:54 AM   #8

Why?

I can’t understand why you would want to do this. It seems a bit selfish to me. This forum is all about discussion and sharing information and knowledge. Even when a thread goes off-topic, it usually gets back on track with contributions from other Members and, sometimes, intervention from the Site Team. If you closed your own thread because somebody gave you an answer to a question, you would be stuck with that one answer that might not be completely accurate — you would have shut-down a possible debate on what the real answer might be if your first answer wasn’t completely accurate. This might also cause others to think that a wrong answer is correct if they happen upon the thread you closed with a wrong answer that hasn’t been discussed with others.

Would you have closed this thread before now if you could have?

Bruce
Old 09-19-2019, 07:57 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:

At least I now know, I can ask a moderator to close my threads.

Bob
Yes, and you may notice some threads do have site team notes that state they are closed at the request of the OP.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:50 AM   #10
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Quote:
SEARCH is your friend!

I always search before I post a question and usually come up with a topic that has veered off dramatically. I don't mind it because I get lots of good answers when I do post. I just don't find searches helpful very often.