Old 11-22-2016, 01:56 PM   #1

Giving Up - FRF is too slow, opens too many pages

The title says it all. Using FRF has become too painful for the enjoyment and help get out of it.

I've used both Internet Explorer and Firefox at home and at work. Every time I try to back track, I discover FRF has opened dozens of pages. While I'm reading a post, the busy sign is constantly on because the site is forcing ads and tracking me. I understand the need to have ads to pay for maintenance of the web site. But it has long passed the point of usability.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
last trip: Arches and Capitol Reef NPs
planning: Zion, Bryce Canyon, Rocky Mountain NPs, possible return to Custer SP South Dakota

Old 11-22-2016, 02:07 PM   #2

You have something else going on. I don't have any of those issues on a very old system. It is clean though. Major Geeks is a good site to help you clean your computer.

I am running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS or Windows 10.

Old 11-22-2016, 02:16 PM   #3

It isn't FRF that is the problem but rather how you have your browser(s) set up.
You must have yours set so it opens a new tab (page) for every link you click on.

Also the use of add-ons like AdBlock Plus will eliminate the ads and help those with limited bandwidth enjoy a much quicker page load.
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 46
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 02:51 PM   #4

It's not that the site loads new pages, it keeps reloading the same page with new garbage, slowing everything to a crawl. The browser back button is filled with 20-30 instances of the same page. Other sites - Yahoo (occasionally), Fox News, sports sites - do similar, but none to the extent of FRF.

Yes, I can tweak my browser at home or put in an ad blocker. But is that really the right answer? Or is that the site should police itself to keep it usable by people who don't want to be bothered tweaking their browser or installing browser add-ons?

You can blame me all you want. But that doesn't make the site any easier to use. I know I'm not the only one with these kind of complaints about FRF. With the likely near-term demise of the independent pop-up camper forums, FRF has been the best source of information about my A-frame. But if the gain is not worth the pain, membership is going to dwindle here, too.

While I have been typing this, the input has slowed to a crawl as my back button has again overflowed.

Fred W
Old 11-22-2016, 02:59 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
It's not that the site loads new pages, it keeps reloading the same page with new garbage, slowing everything to a crawl. The browser back button is filled with 20-30 instances of the same page. Other sites - Yahoo (occasionally), Fox News, sports sites - do similar, but none to the extent of FRF.
Yes, I can tweak my browser at home or put in an ad blocker. But is that really the right answer? Or is that the site should police itself to keep it usable by people who don't want to be bothered tweaking their browser or installing browser add-ons?
I know I'm not the only one with these kind of complaints about FRF. With the likely near-term demise of the independent pop-up camper forums, FRF has been the best source of information about my A-frame. But if the gain is not worth the pain, membership is going to dwindle here, too.

While I have been typing this, the input has slowed to a crawl as my back button has again overflowed.

Fred W
I'm pretty sure most ad-blockers are free and are usually well worth the few minutes it takes to install them.

Are you sure you don't have a virus or possibly some malware on your computer? I've never heard anyone complain about the same page loading multiple times.

I've never had a single problem with ads or the site slowing down since I've been a member here.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:04 PM   #6

FRF is not the problem i have never had the issues are describing I use chrome and IE both have never had a problem my money says you have a bug of some kind
Old 11-22-2016, 03:06 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
The browser back button is filled with 20-30 instances of the same page.
Howdy pgandw, I am with the site team here on FRF and am going to try to see if I can help.

I'm not really understanding why if you hit the back button, you would have another instance of the same page. The browser back button should take you to the previous page, which takes the place of the current open page in your browser.

You should only have one page open.

If you would like we might can troubleshoot how your computer/browser is set up...and see if we can get it sorted out.

Here is one instance of a FF add-on causing problems and how to fix it:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/837688

I just threw some salt over my shoulder for good luck. Ended up smashing a mirror with the salt shaker.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 03:10 PM   #8

Had a similar problem with other forums so I downloaded an app called TapTalk which monitors all of my selected forums. This app poles all the forums and threads on my schedule. Not a big forum or even app guy but I have been using this for about 2 months and it works really smooth for me.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:27 PM   #9

I access FRF using 4 different devices: a laptop, desktop, phone, and tablet. Haven't experienced any of the problems you are describing. I'm betting you have the same type of problems on other similar sites. Have you tried using the site with the phone app? I don't see FRF dwindling at all in the future as it is a great site!! Good luck with your computer!!
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 03:37 PM   #10

I use a Mac most of the time running Chrome or Safari. At time I use a PC with IE, Chrome or firefox all work flawlessly. Sounds like a computer problem of some sort.