Closed Thread
Old 04-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #11
Maybe this was directed at me ? I know I posted a few links to Lynx Levelers FB page because they have promotions going on there, and I wanted people who might not know about it to know. We will have a choice to join or not to join FB.

If it is against the board rules to inform members about promotions, give aways etc, I surely will refrain from doing so in the future. My logic was, we are all campers, free levelers, caps, woohoo, I gotta let know my FRF friends know about it. I do not think anyone should feel forced to join a group because someone posts about it ?

I understand we are all different and have different expectations. I personally prefer an environment where people do post relevant stuff, and I get to choose what I want to do with that information, ignore it, join it, not read it etc.

I am sure a moderator will let me know if I was out of line.

2009 Ford F-150 XLT/XTR 5.4l, CrewCab. long bed
2011 Surveyor SV-291
Old 04-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #12
One message board that I'm on (cruising), which has THEIR OWN facebook page, prohibits members from giving out their facebook information or creating roll call facebook groups. Because they want any and all traffic related to their topic to be on their board. But really, facebook is a much easier medium for people to interact and share files or schedule events. It's ridiculous.

Still doesn't stop people from creating them and using them, obviously. LOL. Because it just works better for that specific purpose.

~ Darlene ~

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
Old 04-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #13
Site Team - Lou
I read that as a PM issue. If I was wrong I will shut this down.

Solicitation to join any site is prohibited.

Posting a link to a site is for the convenience of the membership and not a solicitation. We routinely post links to eBay, Camping World, and Amazon for example without any indication that we want you to set up accounts there.

I have been directed to links on Diesel Truck websites, Newspapers, News Channels, and Forums that have information germane to the discussion at hand. Some have requested me to "register" for access. Just click the red X and the registration window goes away.

Most of us have Facebook accounts, but not all. Facebook has a privacy setting that a member can use to prevent "non-friends" from looking at photos and content. If you click a link in a post to a Facebook page and you get an offer to join; just close the window and move on.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Old 04-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #14
The OP specifically said be was talking about members here asking people to join their Facebook groups to share information. He's not talking about someone posting a reference to FB-something there.

I somewhat agree with him on both points. It doesn't mean that your particular use of Facebook is bad, but in some ways FB has replaced the possibility that people might learn to think or have real relationships. It is affecting society (no one will argue that point) and not always in a good way.

As for using it to give information to groups of people who are on these fora, it does have the advantage that a "liked page" is a "broadcast" method of disseminating information (different from a subscribed thread in that Turbs can't hijack it). But I get it; we shouldn't be forced to connect with someone on Facebook in order to get information that we thought was available here.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #15
Professional Texan
Originally Posted by treaves View Post
I understand people think they are being helpful, but would you please stop asking people to go join some group on FaceBook? We are posting here because we are reading these forums. Many people are not interested in selling their soul to join the abomination that is FaceBook.

This is a forum were people can post and read content without the burdensome of all that other sites bring with it. It's not something you must join to simply be even to read what's there. This is exactly what many people want.
This is very simple, if asked to join anything that you don't want to join, just don't join. This way everybody has a choice.
Texas Bob
2015 Chevrolet Silverado HD2500 Z71
2013 Prime Time Tracer Executive 2640 RLS

Old 04-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Looks like this is spiraling out of control...the OP made his point and the thread is now locked.

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Closed Thread