Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2019, 04:34 PM   #1

Pardon me, I'm stupid

Good afternoon group,

I used to receive the daily "new topics today" email and enjoyed browsing the latest posts. The emails have stopped coming. I've checked trash and spam and they're not there. I've searched the forum and looked all over the user control panel to try to turn it back on. Still can't find it.

Can someone point me to the place to enable these daily emails?

Thanks!
MarkPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:42 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkPW View Post
Good afternoon group,

I used to receive the daily "new topics today" email and enjoyed browsing the latest posts. The emails have stopped coming. I've checked trash and spam and they're not there. I've searched the forum and looked all over the user control panel to try to turn it back on. Still can't find it.

Can someone point me to the place to enable these daily emails?

Thanks!

I checked your settings and you are set to receive these, which are a third party thing....at the email of ***k@*********ck.com...unless you used a different email when signing up for the daily newsletter (which you can)

You can also click the community dropdown box on the top bar if using the full website and then click the newsletter link, to sign up again. If it shows the email is already in use, then you should get them...but as I said it's a third party, and sometimes the problem can be on their end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newsletter.png
Views:	164
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	215580  

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:52 PM   #3

Appreciate the reply. I tried what you suggested and it does report that I'm already subscribed. I wait a day or two and if nothing shows up, now that I know where to subscribe I may unsubscribe and then re-subscribe.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:14 PM   #4

No, no, no... you'd rather be ignorant than stupid. Stupidity can't be fixed. [emoji16]
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:44 PM   #5

I've seen this at other sites...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I checked your settings and you are set to receive these, which are a third party thing....at the email of ***k@*********ck.com...unless you used a different email when signing up for the daily newsletter (which you can)

You can also click the community dropdown box on the top bar if using the full website and then click the newsletter link, to sign up again. If it shows the email is already in use, then you should get them...but as I said it's a third party, and sometimes the problem can be on their end.
WM, this situation may be different, but let me describe something that plagued me on two sites I administer. This was around 10 years ago when iPads were just becoming popular.

Like FRF, they have a line at the bottom of each daily email to click to unsubscribe. The unsubscribe request goes to the third-party mailer--in FRF's case it's feedburner.google.com.

The problem occured when the following conditions were true.
1) The user was using the web interface on a touchscreen device.
2) The Unsubscribe link had no "Are you sure?" confirmation. It silently unsubscribed the user.

The effect was that the origin site (FRF in this case) didn't even know about the Unsubscribe and was still sending daily messages. The third party was not sending the messages on to the accidentally-unsubscribed users. And resubscription at the origin site had no effect. There was, at the time, no way to contact the third party.

It took me several days to figure this out. I sent a duplicate message from the origin site and from my personal email and asked for responses from everyone who got only one. Then I asked those who responded to reply with their device type, OS, and browser. I got back eleven responses: 8 were using iPhones or iPads and three were using Android devices. That's when it hit me: They were all touchscreen devices! They were accidentally Unsubscribing silently when scrolling up!

They had tried resubscribing to no avail. And my Administrator view showed them as subscribed. So I looked through full headers and discovered that there was a third party. The third party was injecting the Unsubscribe link with no confirmation. He was not seeing re-subscribes at the origin site.

I contacted the third party directly, apologized for not going through the company hosting the CMS, and explained the problem and what needed to be fixed. I also gave them the list of 11 Unsubscribed users. They agreed to a fix and to resubscribe the users.

It had astounded me that no one else had figured out that touchscreen devices had to be handled differently. There are other things that have to be done differently, but the accidental selection with no indication is probably the worst.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:53 PM   #6
Site Team

Larry, thanks for the explanation on what happened to you. I will forward this to the tech team that would be over the site, as we don't have that kind of access.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkPW View Post
Appreciate the reply. I tried what you suggested and it does report that I'm already subscribed. I wait a day or two and if nothing shows up, now that I know where to subscribe I may unsubscribe and then re-subscribe.
I work with email subscription issues all day long for a major cataloger. Other than what Larry-NC posted above, first check your safe and your blocked email address lists to ensure that the email address for the "new topics today" email is listed in your safe sender's list and is not on your blocked senders (junk/spam) list. If all is as it should be then check with your email provider. Many email providers these days prefilter perceived junk/spam emails prior to delivering email to their subscribers. Another thing you may consider, if your email is provided by your employer is that more and more employers these days are blocking non work related emails for security reasons. This should cover about 90% of the reasons you would not be receiving an email from a list that you are confirmed as subscribed to.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 05:00 PM   #8

I had the same problem and asked the exact same questions.

I finally figured it out myself and started getting my daily forum email again so try this:

If you have blocked any other senders that use the "no-reply" statement in their address (which many do) then try unblocking them and then if you get the forum emails go back and be more specific when you block other junk e-mails addresses.

hope this helps ...
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Rango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 05:02 PM   #9

Interesting possibility. I'll look into that. Thanks.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:28 PM   #10

Same here

Mine stopped coming for almost two months and then mysteriously started back up again. I did nothing to intervene.