Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2016, 01:19 PM   #1

Popup advertisement video locking up web browser

Is anyone else having problems with the new video advertisements locking up their web browser. I sure am. It appears as though the video providers bandwidth is not near large enough to handle all the viewers on Forest River Forums. The way it is set up everything stops until the video loads, making it impossible to even scroll through the thread I happen to be reading.

Is there any way I can block those video adds or is it the webmasters plan to drive people away from the site by slowing it to a crawl?

Sherman
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 01:22 PM   #2
Site Team

You should not be seeing video pop-ups ads (we are not running them). Can you take a screenshot or try and find the URL of the ad network running the ads?
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:21 PM   #3

https://video.sekindo.com/uploads/vi...late2_mini.mp4
Old 07-20-2016, 02:28 PM   #4

the video add is the womans picture on right. posted url in prior post
Attached Files
File Type: pdf video is woman picture on right.pdf (463.1 KB, 59 views)
Old 07-21-2016, 02:28 PM   #5

I don't know if this will fix your particular problem, but it stops most ads from showing up.
https://www.ghostery.com/
I'm assuming you are talking about a PC browser.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:35 PM   #6
Land of the Midnightsun

I get adds all over this forum. I figure they are sponsors ????
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
Is anyone else having problems with the new video advertisements locking up their web browser. I sure am. It appears as though the video providers bandwidth is not near large enough to handle all the viewers on Forest River Forums. The way it is set up everything stops until the video loads, making it impossible to even scroll through the thread I happen to be reading.

Is there any way I can block those video adds or is it the webmasters plan to drive people away from the site by slowing it to a crawl?

Sherman
Some static ads are causing the pages to load slow also.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 03:30 PM   #8
Site Team

Sherman,

That ad is in one of our normal ads spots. It's coming from an ad network. We have our settings at the ad networks so no autoplay ads will run on our pages. The only way an an should run and play video is if you hover over the ad for a few seconds then some of them might activate and play video.

Is the ad you are seeing automatically playing or do you have to hove over it to make it play?

Andy
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
Sherman,

Is the ad you are seeing automatically playing or do you have to hove over it to make it play?

Andy
The adds usually show up when I am writing a response to a posting, I am a slow writer and try to compose a meaningful response so it may take me several minutes. After about a minute time the video will automatically start and it slows your site down to a crawl. The way the frame is set up it is almost impossible to stop the video. when I do manage to stop it, it will automatically start again in about a minute.
It appears as though they have a timer set up in their Shockwave scripting so the video automatically starts after a certain period of time if you remain on the web page. When it tries to run it slows the internet connection down so much, I actually have to wait for my typing to appear in the message window.

Hope this helps with getting them to correct the scripting and stops the video from automatically running.

It is getting so bad that i am not sure how much longer I will continue to offer help to others because it is making it almost impossible to even compose a response
Old 07-22-2016, 08:46 PM   #10

These ads have been locking up my web browser for the last month or so. Not just on this forum, but on 4 others I visit on a regular basis also. A lot of the problem are those "Ad Choices" things. I finally had my computer nerd guy come by, and install a new ad blocker that is set to stop just about every ad type known to man. Something called "ABP". That fixed the problem. The software was free, but it cost me $85.00 for the geek to come and do it.
Now, the only ads that show up are RV Life, RV Park Reviews, and the Forest River brands at the top. Nothing else gets through, nothing, nada, zip.
mowingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowingman View Post
I finally had my computer nerd guy come by, and install a new ad blocker that is set to stop just about every ad type known to man. Something called "ABP". That fixed the problem. The software was free
Thanks for the heads up, I did a google search for APB and found the program. It is free and works like a charm.

Here is a link for anyone else who is having the same problem I had or tired of being annoyed by them.

https://adblockplus.org/

I realize that sites like Forest River Foruns need advertising to run, but I draw the line on having to deal with them when their advertisers write scripting into those adds that force me to download and listen to their video adds automatically.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:04 AM   #12

I just had the ad for insurance start without me doing anything and slow down my Mac. When that one was finished another started right after it. I had to close down my browser and restart now things are working agin. I thought you had to click on video to start them. Hope that doesn't continue it will limit my coming to the forum
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
Sherman,

That ad is in one of our normal ads spots. It's coming from an ad network. We have our settings at the ad networks so no autoplay ads will run on our pages. The only way an an should run and play video is if you hover over the ad for a few seconds then some of them might activate and play video.

Andy
Mine is doing the same thing and it's getting really, really annoying. The audio is not starting, but one of the scripts that is starting the video is locking up Firefox. I can let it sit for 10 minutes or so and it finally gets done loading, but that gets really old for every page. I will try that ad blocker program when I get home. Like the others, I understand the need for advertising, but I find myself spending more time on other sites that don't crash my browser.

Demco 18k Autoslide
2012 Puma Unleashed 356QLB toy hauler
Toys - CRF250X, CRF250R, CRF450R, TTR230, TRX250EX, STX-1500 jet ski
rmoore0852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:12 AM   #14

Glad I'm not the only one experiencing problems with ads. Have seen many causing slowness including a Subway ad maybe yesterday or the day before. Started using Chrome browser instead of IE and that seemed to help but it is still affected. Also tried Foxfire and it has been affected also. Pretty annoying actually...
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:14 PM   #15

Yup. I'm using Firefox and it keeps locking it up. Really frustrating when trying to go through the daily new posts. Admin, I understand the need for advertising, but this is going to run off users......

Demco 18k Autoslide
Old 08-11-2016, 01:18 PM   #16

Also FWIW I know that it is the ads causing this problem. I can play on the website all day on my work computer, which has a really, really good company firewall that blocks streaming advertisements and scripts. As soon as I go onto a "regular" computer, pure frustration

Demco 18k Autoslide
Old 08-11-2016, 03:02 PM   #17
Site Team

Thanks for the reports folks - we'll take a look at this issue again.
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:31 PM   #18

I agree
condoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pop up