Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2017, 03:02 PM   #1

Problem with site pages, new computer

My old laptop died and I just purchased a new one. Both were running Windows 10 and Google Chrome. With the new one, when I open a thread in Chrome, it dives right to the bottom of the page and wants to stay there. I can scroll up a little bit, but then it dives back down to the bottom. It doesn't do it on all threads, but most of them.

It works fine using Internet Explorer.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome but that didn't help.

Any advice out there?

thanks.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:02 PM   #2

This just started to happen to me also. I am using a chromebook and to get it to stop I installed "U Block origin" ad blocker. An add on extension for chrome. The add at the bottom of the page on the right sucks my screen right down and wouldn't let me scroll back up.
40twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:17 PM   #3

This has happened to me too using Chrome and Windows 7. I really like this forum and while I fully understand the need for advertising to support this site, I will NOT support any advertiser that has to resort to such antics and if it continues ... well, I can live without this forum.

And no, I shouldn't have to install some stupid add-on. None of the other sites I visit regularly have this problem.

rebellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40twist View Post
This just started to happen to me also. I am using a chromebook and to get it to stop I installed "U Block origin" ad blocker. An add on extension for chrome. The add at the bottom of the page on the right sucks my screen right down and wouldn't let me scroll back up.
Thanks 40twist! That seems to have solved my problem. I did sort of think that ad at the bottom was the problem, because I used to only have one, but with the new computer I was getting two.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:00 PM   #5
Site Team

Well. since Chrome is a google product, as well as the ads on our site....it might be a coordinated software effort.

However, there is this you may try, since Google is aware of this problem:

https://www.xda-developers.com/psa-e...ng-page-jumps/

PSA: Enable Scroll Anchoring in Google Chrome to Prevent Annoying Page Jumps

There are a ton of awesome features hidden away in many Google apps that are rarely hyped up namely due to a lack of advertisement by Google. One such feature hidden away in Google Chrome’s chrome://flags page is the Scroll Anchoring feature.

Introduced back in April initially only in Google Chrome Dev v51 builds, the feature prevents your webpage from “jumping” whenever offscreen content such as ads or images are loading. I’m sure you’ve run into this issue before, it happens fairly frequently for any user who quickly jumps from one webpage to another, perhaps when reading articles with tons of images. Your only real solution to this is to patiently wait for the entire webpage to fully load before clicking on any link, but who has time for that?

Sufficiently bothered by this issue yet? If so, then head on over to chrome://flags/#enable-scroll-anchoring (paste this into your URL address bar), enable the flag, then relaunch the browser. After you’ve enabled this feature, you should no longer suffer from text reflows due to the loading of offscreen content, but as Google Chrome’s developers note your mileage may vary. If you do notice a webpage incorrectly reflow even after enabling this feature, you can report it straight to the developers by following this link.

It’s worth noting that Google may choose to can this feature whenever they want, as any feature that lives in the chrome://flags page is technically only for beta testing purposes. However, since this feature has already survived two version changes in Google Chrome Dev, we don’t expect it to suddenly disappear in the next week or so. As the stable build of Google Chrome is now on v51, all users of Chrome browser on Android can take advantage of this feature. We’re not exactly sure why this feature hasn’t been enabled by default in any build of Chrome, but my tinfoil hat tells me it’s so that you will accidentally click on advertisements.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:36 AM   #6

Thanks for the tip wmtire! So far it appears to be working.

rebellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:06 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellee View Post
Thanks for the tip wmtire! So far it appears to be working.
Glad to hear.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:56 PM   #8

How do you fix this in EDGE?

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:21 PM   #9

Sure you can probably run an ad blocker in edge also. You may even notice pages loading quicker.
40twist is offline   Reply With Quote