Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 03:35 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croaker View Post
KyDan,

Looks like you are in agreement. Deleting offensive words, snarky statements, or entire posts or threads is not what I would consider "editing".

You are right though, as long as moderators have the right to to edit (change the meaning) I don't belong here.
The very definition of edit is to change, revise or correct something. It's something we mods typically only have to do when a post is made that goes against a forum rule.

Although when we make our edits we always try very hard to keep the meaning and the spirit of the post the same. We would never intentionally try to change what someone was saying. More often than not, it's how they are saying it that's the problem.

Old 10-21-2016, 03:51 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
The very definition of edit is to change, revise or correct something. It's something we mods typically only have to do when a post is made that goes against a forum rule.

Although when we make our edits we always try very hard to keep the meaning and the spirit of the post the same. We would never intentionally try to change what someone was saying. More often than not, it's how they are saying it that's the problem.
Occasionally, we get the "First Amendment" Freedom of Speech argument. In nearly every case, the person in question has never actually read what that amendment says.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_...s_Constitution

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedo..._United_States

The Forest River Forums are not the government. The forums are owned by a private "for profit" company (Social Knowledge LLC) and they have established rules for membership and posting to their database. People are notorious for clicking through the user agreements, so upon joining, you get an email with links to the posting rules as part of your welcome package.

As WMtire posted, we have over 85,000 members and 99.99999% of their over a million and a quarter posts have not had a word changed.

Play nice, follow the rules, and above ALL ELSE

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 10-21-2016, 06:04 PM   #13

I joined this forum to contribute. I have many years of experience in the RV industry.

I am not arguing the 1st amendment. I am only pointing out what I consider to be a mistake. (Your forum is not to big to make mistakes) As it now stands the rules indicate that moderators can change the wording of a post. Even though you say you "try very hard to keep the original meaning", the fact is, you are not just deleting offensive words or text, you are able to modify something someone has said.

Personally, I think "editing" should be restricted to deleting offensive words or deleting offensive posts altogether. "Editing" should never mean modifying what someone said and should be spelled out as such in the the rules.

This is my opinion, so please don't take offense.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:21 PM   #14

My thoughts, not necessarily specific to this forum, is that a private message should be sent to the member that Not Only notifies him of any deletions or changes, but most importantly the Basis or Reasoning for that change.

Doesn't mean the member has any right to argue or appeal the decision.

And, I don't know what happens specifically herein at forestriverforums.com, but I do Know that many "other" forum editors feel there is no need to explain themselves and some "treasured" members are given extra leeway that other members don't get.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:45 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

If you "Play Nice and Follow the Rules" your post will never be edited without your permission. Moderators would prefer to have nothing to do but help folks and enjoy the forum.

To avoid unnecessary Moderator work; please take a moment to review those rules and conditions, sent to everyone who is a member here:

Forums 101 for our basic posting standards.

Community Rules,

Privacy Policy and

Terms of Service.

By participating in the Forums and using the Web Site you are agreeing to abide by the terms contained therein.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 10-21-2016, 07:08 PM   #16
DDC

I think the site team does a very good VOLUNTEER job and I thank them.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
I think the site team does a very good VOLUNTEER job and I thank them.
X2 Thanks !!!!!!!!!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Old 10-21-2016, 07:50 PM   #18
Georgia Frog Rally 2017

This site is one of the better forums that I belong to and they do a fantastic job. I have no issues with the site team members and I have had a note or two sent to me about a post and I totally agreed to there reasoning. Enjoy this great forum as you can post a lot of things here that normally would be deleted from other forums or also you would be band. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2015--46
Days booked for 2016--60 missed by 2
Days camped in 2016 58
Old 10-21-2016, 07:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
This site is one of the better forums that I belong to and they do a fantastic job. I have no issues with the site team members and I have had a note or two sent to me about a post and I totally agreed to there reasoning. Enjoy this great forum as you can post a lot of things here that normally would be deleted from other forums or also you would be band. Later RJD
I could have said this. Applies to me, too.

Thanks, moderators!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
Old 10-21-2016, 08:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
We occasionally edit a thread.
If you post a fairly normal reply and say it included the F word we would
likely edit your post and remove the F bomb and your post would remain.
When we edit a post there is an automatic note at the bottom that says
it was edited by so and so....
I think the moderators do a great job, having said that, on a recent thread, an offensive post was edited and another completely deleted and no where in the post does it show it was edited or that the thread had any deletions so I don't think that happens in every case.
Thank you all for your work.

2010 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Diesel, Front Hitch, Air Lift 5000 Rear Air Bags, (not really used, left over from our truck camper). Equalizer E4 1.4k/14k WD Hitch. TST 507 TPMS. Furrion FOS48TA Observation Camera. Garmin RV-760 GPS
Closed Thread