Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2018, 09:03 PM   #1

Suggested Improvement to Forum

Hello,

I realize we all have a finite amount of time to edit a post and there is probably a good reason for that. However I have a suggestion to allow the OP and only the OP to edit the Title of his/her #1 post at any time.

Allow me to explain further.
There are times when threads get lengthy and sometimes off topic. I might participate in a thread I'm interested in but then loose focus or interest once that thread has been around a long time and gets lengthy (plus 5 pages).

However I would be interested in re-visiting an old or long thread when the initial subject has changed.

For instance a Title may read, "Slide Outs won't move". Perhaps after some time and a few pages later the OP has an update of interest or maybe the OP solved the problem. The OP could post their new reply and then edit their #1 post Title to read something like, "Problem Solved - Slide Outs won't move" or "Update 6/1 - Slide Outs won't move"

If I was an original reader or contributor to that thread, seeing the edited Title might make me want to return to see what the OP did to solve his/her problem.

As an added bonus, when an OP sold something on the Classified site, he/she could change the title and mark it sold themselves vice having to ask for help in doing so.

Just a thought worth considering.
vr
Ron
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:11 AM   #2
Site Team

Responses to Ron

Howdy Ron045, thanks for the suggestions. See my responses in blue below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron045 View Post
Hello,

I realize we all have a finite amount of time to edit a post and there is probably a good reason for that. However I have a suggestion to allow the OP and only the OP to edit the Title of his/her #1 post at any time.

See this link: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1721799

Allow me to explain further.
There are times when threads get lengthy and sometimes off topic. I might participate in a thread I'm interested in but then loose focus or interest once that thread has been around a long time and gets lengthy (plus 5 pages).

Hopefully if a thread gets off into too many tangents or subjects, the OP or members would start another thread on it. The site team does split threads all the time, everyday for this same reason.

However I would be interested in re-visiting an old or long thread when the initial subject has changed.

For instance a Title may read, "Slide Outs won't move". Perhaps after some time and a few pages later the OP has an update of interest or maybe the OP solved the problem. The OP could post their new reply and then edit their #1 post Title to read something like, "Problem Solved - Slide Outs won't move" or "Update 6/1 - Slide Outs won't move"

Many OP's, once their problem is solved, move on. They may never even come back and inform the rest of the members that they found a resolution. Expecting a OP to monitor/manage a lengthy thread, especially with many off-topic posts isn't feasible. A lot of off-topic postings can actually have the opposite effect and chase an OP away. This is why the site team has to steer threads many times, with all the off-topic things.

If I was an original reader or contributor to that thread, seeing the edited Title might make me want to return to see what the OP did to solve his/her problem.

Editing a thread title may also mess up future searches, depending on how the title is edited. It would also put much more work on the site team trying to make sure an edited title still reflects the original question/topic/problem.

Each individual post to a thread, does have an option to insert it's own post title. Not necessarily what you are asking for, but it is something to consider, if someone is scanning all the posts in a lengthy thread. See my post title above

As an added bonus, when an OP sold something on the Classified site, he/she could change the title and mark it sold themselves vice having to ask for help in doing so.

Same reasoning as above, we would have no idea on what a member may do, and would require even more site team time trying to make sure it was done proper and the guidelines adhered to. The system currently in place assures an orderly and smooth process.

Just a thought worth considering.
vr
Ron

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote