Old 02-23-2013, 12:59 AM   #1

The "Thanks" button.

Mods, this is by no means a complaint, as I love anything in this day and age that has anything to do with politeness and courtesy, but the "thanks" feature has me a bit stymied.

First off, it doesn't show up anywhere unless a member happens to check his or her own profile (the first time I hit "User CP" I found a couple of 'thanks' with comments -some of which were months old).

Secondly, I'm finding the odd one including questions (not personal stuff like "so...what are you wearing (giggle)") but general questions about campgrounds, roads, etc that really should be on the thread in question.

Is there any way to either have a user notification (so as to not miss a message that requires a reply) or, at the very least, to educate members as to what the feature does and doesn't do?

Just a thought.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:10 AM   #2
Site Team

My user account is set up to notify me via email when new posts come in to a thread I have posted in along as well with PMs, including Thank You posts, that are sent to me.I also selected to have a popup window appear when PMs/Thank You posts come in. I can be online in one of the forum and I will see a window that I have a new message. I also view the private message status line while online here in the forums.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2-22-2013 10-14-19 PM.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	24657

Is this something you are referring to or am I way off base? Sorry but I'm bit fuzzy due to lack of sleep.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
My user account is set up to notify me via email when new posts come in to a thread I have posted in along as well with PMs, including Thank Yous, that are sent to me. I also selected to have a popup window appear when PMs come in. I can be online in one of the forum and I will see a window that I have a new message. I also view the private message status line while online here in the forums. I will post a snapshot of it in a few mintues.

Is this something you are referring to or am I way off base? Sorry but I'm bit fuzzy due to lack of sleep.
Hmm. Maybe it's my set up then (which I've never altered because I just plain don't know how to do so ).
I get e-mail notifications for new posts in threads that I've posted in and for personal messages, but I found the "thanks" messages by accident.
Granted, it's a pleasant surprise, I just thought that some of the messages I'm getting should be in the thread in question, not as PM's.

Again -I reiterate (I love ten-dollar words ) this is NOT a complaint. I find the site to be well run, well moderated and easy to use.
I just think this one feature is ...well..misunderstood. At least by dummies like me.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:19 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You can set notification in the 'edit options' section in the user CP on your profile page.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Don View Post
I just thought that some of the messages I'm getting should be in the thread in question, not as PM's.
This sometimes happens to me, too, Don. In fact, I get quite a few PMs with trailer-related questions and I chalk it up to sometimes another member finds it more comfortable to ask a question via PM or Thanks rather than the thread. I get this on other forums, too, so just one of those things, I guess

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
You can set notification in the 'edit options' section in the user CP on your profile page.

Dave
Thanks, Dave. I will do that.

Triguy:sometimes another member finds it more comfortable to ask a question via PM or Thanks

You know, I never thought of that. PM's I could see, but I only hang out on a couple of forums (forae?) so I've never seen this type of setup before with a "Thanks" feature.
I'll take Dave's advice and set it up so I get notified.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I've noticed more and more people are using the thanks button.

Its to bad that's not an option on frf app as that's what I used the most and I would use the thanks button A LOT more.

Turbs
Old 02-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #8

On another forum of which I am a member, but different subject, when someone thanks a poster, a small window opens up below the post being thanked, listing the person or persons who are doing the thanking. That forum for coach drivers in the UK is identical to this one in every aspect from layout through to operation. Maybe a mod can have a look at Index of /forum - it is possible (like here ) to look as a guest, and see what I mean.

I too have missed some thanks because I hadn't been into 'User CP'

2005 Ford F150 5.4
2011 Salem 21FBS
greenliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

greenliner, have you driven a coach in Europe? The reason I ask is that I remember being in school (London) but taking some trips. The way those drivers handled a big coach on tiny narrow roads impressed the heck out of me.

Back to the topic, I clicked on that link but couldn't find a forum; just information. Any way you could "snip" an example and post it to see what you mean?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

The "Thanks Button" is a way for folks who have been helped by a post of yours to show the rest of the forum how "helpful" you have been and "increases your rep."

If you have two positions on a problem, you can look at the "Rep Bar" in their profile to see whose "Rep" is higher.

In the right hand upper portion (across from your user name) are some green boxes. I am not sure how many "thank you"s make a box, but the more boxes you have the better your "Rep Score."

It serves no other useful purpose other than making you feel good to get a PM thanking you for the post.

Oh, there are color differences in the green boxes. I think light green boxes count more than dark green boxes. Also if you hover over the boxes it says cutesy things about your rep level.

I can go into the database (might be admin level) and actually see the number.

Just checked Triguy for example. He has 2 green boxes in his rep and has been thanked 125 times. His "Hover" text is "TRIGUY will become famous soon."

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote